• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ralph Lauren and my BJ8

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I drive into town for a local cruise night and an ice cream cone for my son, and someone comes up to me and asks if I would be interested in having my car used for a commercial. Maybe, I say. He asks for my email and I give it to him.

Next day, I get an email asking for some pics of my BJ8, so I send them. By the end of the day, I have a contract for my car to be in Ralph Lauren advertisements. We haggle a bit over numbers (I tell him that it's fine with me, but my Healey feels undervalued), but reach an agreement. Then, he wants to know if I would consider selling him my car. No, thanks. I ask him what they plan to do with the car (put a beautiful woman behind the wheel. Fully clothed, mind you), and I figure, it's about time the car earned its keep.

Anyway, when you see that magnificent BJ8 with the beatiful woman in it in the Ralph advertisement, that would be mine.

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
Very cool, Scott! Any idea when the ads will start to appear? I'm guessing that you will have to attend the photo shoot and assist the beautiful woman in getting into and out of the car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Anyone seen the Healey's in the LL Bean advertisements? I saw several on placards in the local Sears store.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
So were you haggling over the insurance value of the car or the money they were putting in your pocket for using it?

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So the shoot is next Wednesday. I really have no clue when the ads will come out. You would think they'd want my advice on all aspects, given my obvious good taste, and yet they have yet to consult me on any important details.

As for the beautiful woman, my daughter has been begging me to let her come so she can get her "break". Oy.

As for the haggling, that was for the day's pay. They carry $1M insurance, which will just about cover it as far as I'm concerned. And I was wondering why they are using my BJ8 instead of Ralph Lipshitz' Bugatti. Maybe he knows something I don't know?

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
maybe the reason Ralph won't use one of his cars is because the commercial involves swimsuit clad models having a paint ball battle, or foul weather clothing and one of those monsoon rain machines, or footwear whilst tap dancing on the bonnet?

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I asked them if the model would be lying naked across the bonnet and they said no. Hmmmmm. Tap dancing?

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
MOre fuel for the BJ auction fever...way to go, Scott. Hey I have to be in Lynbrook next Wednesday, are they shooting on LI?

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OOOOOOOhhh, too posh, probably security, you know, there was another posting looking for a cream colored MG or AH for a photo shoot in the NYC area, I wonder if it's the same people?

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's on the MG side under the heading:

Cream MG, Triumph, or Healey for Photo Shoot

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I do not trust him!

Be very careful my friend. I concur that he has posted here looking for beige car for this shoot.

Tried to take pics of my XKE a month or so ago in Central Park. I bailed.

Then wanted more pics of what I owned, downgraded my profile because of him.

Please be careful. I don't think RL would look for a car here, just my intuition talking.

Patrick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow, very interesting, I guess scam artists thrive no matter what the medium is...

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't think it's a scam. Chris is from Cooper, who has a movie car division. They've been around in Manhattan for a long time. I know a few people who've had problems with buying cars from Cooper. But they rent cars and broker cars for movies and shoots, which is what they're doing with me. If the representations don't turn out to be true, or they try to do something with my car that's a problem, then I drive away.

I think Patrick's concern is that Chris tried to play hardball with him, and he smelled a rat. So far, I didn't have any problem with Chris. As for the shoot being for Ralph Lauren, that doesn't surprise me. They do a lot of advertising and most of what they sell is through licensees, who don't really have access to Ralph's stable of cars. I'll let everybody know how it turns out.

shg,healyes seam all the rage now adays, some outfit was using a picture of a two tone bt7 as eye candy on a video monitor in the stamford mall to get the attention of passers by,im sure youll stay with your car all the time during the shoot right? good! several years ago i hung around "cove beach" here in stmfd. ct. to watch a bunch of photographers shoot a new porsche add. great views of long island sound,beach,birds,trees,etc, they had a crew of guys and gals that moved the cars around to "pose" the shots, used lots of jacks, jack stands, and heavy pupose built boxes and ramps to configure certain angles/positions i asked one of the photogs. why they were doing this since the brand new cars looked great as they were,he explained he wanted to emphasize certain angles and lines to make the cars appear longer,shorter,sleaker, etc, what about using different lenses i asked,he said it was easier to achieve the desired effects this way, im sure youve seen picts of cars in adds then seen them on the street or showrooms and they look nothing like the picts. in the adds, to me chevy does this alot,i dont know if "ralfs" guys will want to do this on your shoot, but i think youll be staying with your car right? good!. hay since your car is white why dont ya ask them if theyd like a nice looking black one for "contrast" i could use the bucks for a new ox blood red leather interior set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifand what ever you do dont wander of into that giant winnabago the models will be using to change thier outfits in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif good luck, enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
winnebago? ;-)

Thanks Anthony. I have no intention of letting anybody do anything in or to my BJ8 that I wouldn't do. I'm bringing the shield, the cuffs and the 9 mm. I hear models really dig the cuffs.