• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New steering wheel, ideas about adapting?

RickB

Yoda
I got the new Mountney steering wheel yesterday now I have to figure out how to adapt it to my hub.

I have a spare hub for my MK2 Sprite so this will need to be adapted.
The hub diameter is a bit smaller than the holes in the center of the wheel so I will have to come up with an adapter plate.
It would be great to find something that's already round - I'm thinking something that looks like a big flat washer.

Here's a pic of the wheel, I'll shoot a couple pictures of everything tonight and post them.

Attachments

• 16847.jpg
    16847.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 341

tweety

Jedi Trainee
Diameters? Hub, wheel inner, wheel outer, wheel screws.

I lucked out with my cheap steering wheel, it was the same diameter as my hub, just a different screw pattern. I was able to use self tapper screws that set into the old hub. Looks good and works good.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking some .25" aluminum stock, an appropriate sized hole saw to get the correct diameter. I have some big hole saws, if you're lucky, I might have the right size and can cut the aluminum for you.... Just need to know the diameter

also might be worth searching industrial supply houses like Grainer and McMaster Carr. Grainger only sells to businesses that have an "account" McMaster sells to anyone with a credit card.

You would be amazed what they have.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Tweety, I'm thinking I may get another old MG horn push without badge and adapt it then put in a Sprite badge but the part between the wheel and hub is the sticker at the moment.
I will stroll over to the True Value store after work and see what they have that might fit. There's a lot of stuff in that place that works on these cars!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I just mounted a "personal" steering wheel by drilling 4 new holes and mounting on the existing hub - reversed the "ring" and mounted the horn - works and looks great. Did just google mountney and they seem to have adapters. I had an adapter for the "personal" wheel but the diameter was too great for my car. It is likely still available if it would help.

can you post pics of the hub?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Someone on this forum was adapting old hubs / steering wheels to fit new wheels. On Bugsy my 68 for instance hub and wheel are all one and the same. I've got web site in England I'll post that had some interesting prices on hubs

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
My hub is the same as the Bugeye, the PPO (or someone) had apparently cut up an original wheel and took the hub then drilled it to mount the $19 Fugly deep dish 12" POS wheel that came with the car.

At least the hub is still usable for me, and all I need is something like what tweety described above. Basically a donut that I can attach to the hub then attach the wheel to it.

I'll look at Chris' site - he is "The Man" when it comes to steering wheels!

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
I adapted mine in a similar manner to that used by Chris S. but machined the tabs on the original hub flat and mounted the adaptor plate flush to the top of the old hub. It's made from a 1/2" thick disc of aluminum, drilled for the original spoke bolt pattern and the new wheel 6 bolt pattern. I used countersunk allen head screws to mount the adaptor to the original hub and then the new wheel fit flush over those.

Attachments

• 16849.jpg
    16849.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 292
OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Finally getting back to this, had guests for the weekend so no Spridget work was done. :frown:

I'll go double check the measurements right now.

Here's my wheel:

swheel001.jpg

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Ok - it's 2 inches across the opening for the hub and 2 3/4 inch from screw hole center to center.
The hub is pretty standard, spline hole a little less than an inch in diameter and the mount area a little over 2 inch diameter.

swheel002.jpg

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Well a friend at work says maybe his son in law can punch out a piece like what I need from scrap at his work. I just need to come up with a drawing, so I guess I'll get to work on that this afternoon.
I figure I need something about a half inch thick so the nut will be hidden, it's going to have to be about 3 1/2 inch diameter with about 1 1/2 inch hole in the center. It will be nice to have the screw holes already machined in.
I'll put the pieces to paper and see what happens, any additional thoughts before I get this done? Who knows what they will make this out of, they have a lot of scrap there and with plasma cutters and all the nice big machines they could do anything. I guess it will depend on what they have lying around.

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
I've brought a removable steering wheel & boss (ebay special). It comes with a spigot to weld to the original column & an aluminium boss that can be re-drilled if necessary to the new steering wheel.
Also means the car's a little more secure as you take the wheel with you.
"Wilwood Quick Release Steering Wheel Hub"

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Here's a photo of the removable wheel and splined quick disconnect hub that will be going into my "Spridget Project"; both the bub and wheel are by Rebco and acquired from Summit racing. There are photos and info on the column modification here:

https://www.raysmg.com/rays_mg_midget_62_sprite_bodywork3.htm

Ray

P1010037.JPG

tweety

Jedi Trainee
I know this sounds crazy..... but could you drill out a hockey puck and use through bolts though the weel to the original hub?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
tweety said:
I know this sounds crazy..... but could you drill out a hockey puck and use through bolts though the weel to the original hub?

I think that would work.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tweety said:

:bow: great idea, but you're from California, how did you know what a hockey puck was? or, maybe you thought - "what a strange name for a steering wheel spacer?" :jester:

tweety

Jedi Trainee
JPSmit said:
tweety said:

:bow: great idea, but you're from California, how did you know what a hockey puck was? or, maybe you thought - "what a strange name for a steering wheel spacer?" :jester:

I went to school in the Chicago, that's were I discovered how great a sport with two half times could be!

You would be amazed at the versatility of a hockey puck. I design and install home theaters and entertainments systems for a living. We go through about 50 pucks a year.... Need to shim up a projector... Hockey puck. Need ventilation between a cable box and a receiver, Hockey puck. Don Rickles needs a good joke, Hockey puck.

The clerks at Sports Authority must think I'm nuts when I clear them out of hockey pucks twice a year!

Ask me about Lacrosse balls... indestructible dog toy

scubabatdan

Jedi Trainee
Hey just for giggles, save this picture and insert it into a blank word document and print it out, and see if the holes line up. I saved your picture of the steering wheel with the ruler in it, and cut out the ruler and did some measuring, and came up with this template :smile: Hey if it works you have template to give em.

Here it is:

YokeAdapter3.jpg

I am curious if it works LOL
Just tested it off my preview and it is 3.75 in in diameter. The dotted line represents the yoke behind it. And the 3 inner holes are your original yoke bolt holes.

BTW YES I was bored!!!
Dan

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Wow Dan, that was amazing!
Yes, it prints out the right size.
Thanks, that's really going to help.

Rick