• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG New Project

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - that is proving to be quite a project. You're sure lucky to have an experienced British car guy living so close!

Say, what convinced you to replace the dash panel, and move the instruments to driver side?

TM

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wow - that is proving to be quite a project. You're sure lucky to have an experienced British car guy living so close!

Say, what convinced you to replace the dash panel, and move the instruments to driver side?

TM

We have a very good contingent of British car nuts nearby. Great club and lots of shared wisdom.

The dash that came with the car was OK, but I didn't like the placement and choice of some of the switches and indicator lights. Unfortunately, the previous owner had epoxied the bezels of some of the indicators to the wood, and when I tried to remove them, some of the finish cracked. So I started playing around with different designs, and what I came up with seemed most useful for the gauges that came with the car. They, and the ones that would fit in the center, are smaller than TD/TC gauges, and I thought it distracting to look over to the side to monitor them. So I decided to place them in front of me for better vision. I still need to come up with something to go over on the right side and in the middle, between the switches and indicator lights. Thinking about the radio trim plate in the middle, and maybe a radio over on the right side. But that decision can wait a while.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
You are definitely working to make this *your* Victor - And when I saw the dash sitting on your kitchen countertop, I assume Janet is part of the project!

Ecclesiastes 9:9-10

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
She tolerates me and my quirks well!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Took Advantage of a warmer day today and completed the fuel and brake lines on the frame while the body is at the paint shop. Sitting on old wheels/tires; I have a set of new 15" tires and wheels waiting in the garage. Fuel tank will get installed next week. I'm assembling and painting the engine at a friend's shop and hope to install it and the transmission onto the frame next week. Once the body tub is set, I'll get to the wiring.

Getting there!

0208181435(1).jpg

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Engine's painted! (No idea why it's posted sideways - proper orientation on the computer...)

0209181341a.jpg

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Tom. Guess I musta enjoyed too much 'shine from my new still...

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Visited the paint shop yesterday; body tub has paint on underside and interior. All the prep work has been done, and the tub should be finished by the end of next week. (Painter has a day job.) The outer surface is really smooth - even the entire firewall area. I'm posting a few pictures, though it's hard to see much from them. The underside and the floor have a couple of coats of Rhino Liner and then color on top. All "raw" fiberglass surfaces have been coated, so there's little chance of fibers escaping (and blowing up my nose!) The painter (Randy) said he's extremely impressed with the integrity of the body; much better than any of the T-Buckets he's done. And he has a helper who has a lot of experience with boat work; he said the same thing.

The color, as I mentioned above, is Connaught Green - really dark. However, in the sunlight it really shows nicely. One of the pictures below shows some overspray where you can see the green tint.

0214181701.jpg

0214181701a.jpg

0214181701b.jpg

0214181702.jpg

Attachments

• 0214181701.jpg
    0214181701.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 0214181702.jpg
    0214181702.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 27

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Photos almost look like black paint! Looking forward to seeing the car out in the sunshine.

You are a lucky man to have a talented part-time painter, taking time to do it right.

TM

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Tom. He is good. Can even paint upside down, as shown in the pictures!

No idea why they posted upside down; they show up fine on the computer. As the body is on its side, the second and third pictures look OK. Tried to rotate them, but no luck.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mickey - open the original photo on your laptop/whatever. Then use your photo app (Windows Photos?) to rotate the photo, then "save a copy". Then upload the saved copy to BCF.

TM

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK - I had done that, but they didn't change. Just tried again, and it worked.

I HATE computers!!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Something else I just noticed: Rotating the pictures makes it a right-hand-drive TF!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Amazing what photos and computers can do these days. When I was first looking for a Rambler, a guy said he had a '53 with a V8 under the hood. Here's the photo:

V8.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, well,

i-could-have-had-a-v8.jpg