• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG New Project

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nah - us frugal Yankees don't want to waste the blood.

"1977 HomeBuilt TF-1" yeesh - I think "MGeeeee" would be much more appropriate. Radiator badge says MG, so MG it is!

The "HomeBuilt" part was required. I actually kinda like the "TF-1", though I would've made it "TF-1800".

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well done, Mickey, well done. Got to feel good to get it to this point.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Drew. Does feel very good. Can't help but smile every time I gaze at it, and can't wait to get it on the road!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got this minds-eye picture of you and Janet in that, WW-I flyer's leather headgear and goggles... *gigglesnort!*

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got this minds-eye picture of you and Janet in that, WW-I flyer's leather headgear and goggles... *gigglesnort!*

Might have to spring for a couple of sets of those!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
First drive today! Drove it about 15 miles from friend's shop where we were doing the finishing touches... well, penultimate touches!

Rides like a buckboard, but no distressing noises or looseness. Engine is very willing - felt like it wanted to be cut loose! Gauges all work, but lost fuel gauge - assume connection worked loose at the sending unit. Oil pressure gauge flickered a bit - have to investigate that - but it stayed around 50 lbs. Operating temp went up to around 195 even though it's only around 82 or 83 today. But I kinda expected that, as it has a really small radiator. Will be tweaking that. Overdrive cuts in and out smoothly. Tracks well; I think I'm going to like the coilover front suspension. Very crowded footroom, but not much I can do about that other than drive barefoot or find some water shoes...

Now the real fun begins! Official "unveiling" will be at our car show in a couple weeks.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And a hearty congratulations to you! Feels great I'm sure.

I find the TD foot room a bit limited (i.e. almost nonexistent), so got some very narrow "boat shoes" just to drive in.

Strange about the high temp. Wonder if your cooling system has a blockage or maybe a stuck thermostat?

Buckboard feel. How does the ride compare to the GT or MGB?

Tom M.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And a hearty congratulations to you! Feels great I'm sure.

I find the TD foot room a bit limited (i.e. almost nonexistent), so got some very narrow "boat shoes" just to drive in.

Strange about the high temp. Wonder if your cooling system has a blockage or maybe a stuck thermostat?

Buckboard feel. How does the ride compare to the GT or MGB?

Tom M.

Regarding the temperature, the radiator is pretty small. And this is an 1800 cc engine, as opposed to the 1250/1500 in the T-series.

As for comparison to the Bs - night and day. Unibody vs. frame and separate body. Different animals altogether.

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The harsh ride was probably the major complaint my wife had with my red Victor. A number op people suggested to me to remove a few spring leaves in the rear. given the weight difference between the Victor and a B roadster or GT, I don't think there would be any harm in doing that. Not much to do about the foot room, just wear little shoes.
I never had any issues with operating temperatures with a 180 degree thermostat even in the thin Colorado air.
Get the bugs sorted out and enjoy the ride, maybe head over toward Memphis and visit me. The car looks amazing, and I'm sure the previous owner is smiling down on you. Be sure to give him a wave sometime.
Cheers,
Bruce Clifford

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good news, indeed.

When the first Millennial at a gas station asks ya: "What is it?" Tell 'em it's a Sopwith Camel... :lol:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Great to see you got it done Mickey, now enjoy the driving experience. It looks great, very nice job! :encouragement: PJ"

Looks great? Paul - my eyes are failing again! Where's the picture?

TM

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Bruce - good to hear from you! No plans to head toward Memphis any time soon, but will surely let you know.

As for the ride, the rear springs were from a '69 GT, so I already removed a couple, and added lowering blocks, as it still sat a little high. Not sure about removing any more, but will certainly look at that as an option.

And the engine temp is just going to bear watching for a while. Not too concerned just yet.

And Doc - good idea, but given my lineage, I'm leaning more toward a Spad.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good progress, Mickey.

I tried to drive a TF once... could hit any 2 pedals without problem. Hitting just one, now that was a real challenge. :grin:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good progress, Mickey.

I tried to drive a TF once... could hit any 2 pedals without problem. Hitting just one, now that was a real challenge. :grin:

Thanks, Drew. I discovered the trick: turn your foot sideways! Thankfully, my ankles still work!