• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series New Project, '52 TD

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I used Abingdon when I restored my last TD. I recall they were in Mass. then. I even visited their place of business to pick up parts. In re the TD clutch - my recollection was they had a limited travel and engaged abruptly. Anything you could do to make a smoother engagement would be an improvement. One big advantage of these old cars is that you can improvise. At one time I was a member of an MG T website or Register. It may still be available.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tom and Dave - be careful if you plan to put in new spark plugs in your TDs. Sometime I believe in 1952, they switched from 1/2" reach to 3/4" reach plugs. The change was at engine no. 22734. Some POs with no knowledge installed the wrong plugs. Yours may be one of them. Not a good idea. I used Champion N5s as I recall for the 3/4" plugs.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Pd. Well, here is my next dilemma. I fear maybe the drums have been turned beyond their specs. I have finished up the brakes on the left side. I have replaced the wheel cylinders, the adjusters and the brake shoes. But unfortunately i can not lock up the drums by turning the adjusters all the way up. At least not on the LR. (i have not put the drum/hub on the front yet. On this LR wheel I can get a pretty good drag on the drum but it is not locked up. And this is with the road wheel off. Just turning the drum by hand. I backed off the adjuster 1 click and could turn the wheel somewhat with some drag. I backed it off 2 clicks and that is where I was happiest with it. But I am concerned that I can't lock up the drum with the adjuster. Ironically, with the smallest movement of the emergency brake lever at the back of the wheel cylinder the drum will lock up. So do you think I need new drums and WHERE THE 'ELL YA GOING TO GET THEM? I looked at Abingdon Spares web site and they aren't even listing them. This is a disc wheel car. Oh yeh, does anyone know what the spec I.D. is for the drums. Can't find that either. thanks, Dave.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just to clarify, you wrote " I backed off the adjuster 1 click and could turn the wheel somewhat with some drag. I backed it off 2 clicks and that is where I was happiest with it. But I am concerned that I can't lock up the drum with the adjuster. "

You backed off the adjuster 1 click from what?

If I recall, you turn the adjuster until it locks the wheel, then you back it off until you can turn the wheel.

So maybe I'm not following you - you backed off the adjuster 1 click from what? from locked? or ...?

Thanks.
Tom M.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tom, I backed the adjuster off 1 click from fully extended. I can't call that "locked" because it can't lock the wheel.
But yes to use the nomenclature of the book, " turned the adjuster all the way clockwise until it locks the wheel" then as per the book, "you turn it "1" click back, (that would be counterclockwise) and the wheel should be free". As you have said, "you turn it back until you can turn the wheel". Actually the book says it should be free with "1" click back.
So to restate, I turned the adjuster all the way out, extended, clockwise, but it never can lock the wheel. It is turned as far as it is to go. And it can't lock the wheel. That's the problem. You can force it over the center of its cam profile but that is useless because it returns to its fully retracted position. Dave.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Dave. I'm wondering here, are the two cams (l/r) the same size?

And are the internal diameters of the two drums the same?

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well Tom, maybe I'd better check the cataloge again but I'm pretty sure all the adjusters are the same. I think Moss sells 6 in a set, but I will ck. Just for conversation, there are 2 adjusters on the front wheel and 1 adjuster on the rear wheel so 3 per side, that makes 6.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well re: the drums. I have not tried to measure the drums yet because from past experience it is rather hard to get a good measurement without a drum gauge which I have never bought. My calipers only go to 6" and the drums are way more than that.
Also without a real spec what am I going to compare it to.
One thing that makes me believe that all four drums are the same size is that I did find a specification in the PDF downloaded manual for the brake shoes themselves. All shoes on all wheels are the same. Also when I bought the shoes, the same part number is for all wheels.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. I'd guess another factor might be the shoes themselves. Do the LR and RR shoes match in length and arc, as well as shoe thickness?

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
your post crossed mine, read my last one i think i answered your question.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Still looking for a spec on the I.D. of the drums. thanks all.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - standard TD drum diameter is 9". I got that from Tom Lange, up in Bar Harbor ME, back when I first got my TD. He's quite a TD guru.

You can reach him at tlange@acadia.net.

Just checking, but are you sure the parking brake cables are fully loose before you try that shoe adjustment?

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, I think I'm on to something. Over on the "other" site someone mentioned that the TF drums were 9 inches ID. Then I took a look at Moss' listing of the drums. Even though Moss (and anyone else) doesn't carry drums for disc wheel TDs down in their listing where it says N/A they have description and application tabs. One these tabs they list that the drum for the disc wheel TDs AND TFs are the same. So I guess the ID i'm looking for is 9 inches. I will try to measure mine tomorrow but without a brake drum gauge it is hard to get an "out of tolerance" measurement. And let's be real, If you can't adjust them up, THEY ARE OUT OF TOLERANCE.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tom, I guess we keep missing each others post. But thank you. I believe the fellow on the "other " site was Tom Lange.
Much appreciate your help here. I may get a hold of Tom Lange before too long. Geezch, I was just up at Bar Harbor not too long ago. Thanks again. Till the next dilemma.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Dave, PM sent.

Bahh Habah.... best friend spends his summers in Portland area. On a lake.

Chemquasabamticook ain't unknown, either. (A.K.A. Ross Lake)... :wink:

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Doc. Got the message.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Dave - I checked all the MG web sites. Drums are apparently available for wire wheels only. Some people have converted to front MGB discs but this looks to be a complicated thing although there are kits available. IMHO, anything mechanical is possible - with enough money and time. A thought. The TD drums are 9" ID. The properly adjusted shoes are about that as well. If your drums are oversize, perhaps thicker linings and/or larger shoes are available to fill the space. I think Triumph TR2 drums were 9" - I'll check it out.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Pd. thicker shoes would be a good way to go maybe. I'm going to finish the other wheels before I decide on this problem. this car is restored to a very high level of originality so I won't modify that. How's Bart & Joan?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have had many shoes relined here in the Tampa area for Rolls cars, there MUST be a resource in the PGH area to do the same.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
PHG area? What? Uug, wouldn't go near them big city slickers. We're up here in God's country, in North Central Pa. Up on the Mighty Susquehanna River, the largest fresh water tributary to the Chesapeake Bay. Straight up RT-15 to Watkins Glen.

Here's God's Country, sports car road included: Except when it looks like the 2nd pic.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF3716.jpg
    Copy of DSCF3716.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF2476.JPG
    DSCF2476.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 38