• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new member with a 57

red89c4

Freshman Member
Hello guys, I am a new member to this forum with a lot of questions. I have known my wife for 28 yrs (2 dating and 26 married) my father in law has had a car under a cover for the entire time, I had never seen the car with the cover off of it until 3 weeks ago when he needed it moved out of his garage. I did a frame off resto on my fathers el camino for him so I thought that I would restore this covered car for my father in law. he had it towed to my house and placed in my garage. when I arrived home from work I found a 57 AH 100-6. I have since removed the skin, the dash and the wiring harness. I can not figure out how to remove the body cage from the frame. I think that I have now determined that it is welded to the frame? is this correct? any tips on how to separate the cage from the frame? I plan on doing a COMPLETE resto. my father in law is 81 yrs old and in pretty good health so I need to get things moving on this project if he is going to get to enjoy it! I am looking forward to hanging out with you guys and learning about these cars. I am a pretty good Chevy mechanic, and did all of the resto work on the camino myself except the painting. thanks in advance for your help and input!!

Country flag
Welcome. With every last bolt on piece removed, this is what my '57 (two seater) looked like after sandblasting and priming (DP40/401).

Healey_Chassis.jpg

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, the bulkheads are welded to the frame. Is there a reason why you want to remove the inner structure from the frame? Unless you need to replace the frame, there is probably no reason to take all the structure to pieces.

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
that is what I am trying to accomplish. that looks soooo good. it looks as if it is still mounted to the frame, is that correct? if so are you going to paint the frame the same color as the body? is this the correct paint scheme?

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
that is what I am trying to accomplish. that looks soooo good. it looks as if it is still mounted to the frame, is that correct? if so are you going to paint the frame the same color as the body? is this the correct paint scheme?

red89c4, everything gets painted the body color--frame and inner structures. At least, that is how they came from the factory.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
CLEAH I just wanted to get everything super clean and super straight.

Others can chime in, but unless the car was tweaked in an accident (or is very rusty), all the structure should be straight. The scuttle is a critical part of the car to get right if you cut it off, so you may want to consider if that is necessary.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
One thing you may find helpful is to join the Austin-Healey Club USA to get online access to a 37 article series by Roger Moment and Gary Anderson on how to restore a Healey. It's quite well done and worth the membership fee to the club. Go here for further info: https://healey.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Others can chime in, but unless the car was tweaked in an accident (or is very rusty), all the structure should be straight. The scuttle is a critical part of the car to get right if you cut it off, so you may want to consider if that is necessary.
A 50 year old Healey could very well have some "frame sag"! I wouldn't know where to begin to tell where to look for it and how to correct it, etc., etc.

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
thank you guys for your replies. ii have decided to not cut the superstructure off of the frame due to possible issues of putting it back in the proper location. I will have it blasted then replace all of the bad panels and then blast it again and paint. I will also try to include some pics when my IT department (daughter) comes home from college.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Your program are correct, but a lot of time is required
Here you can find some photo of my AH 57 five years long "adventure" in restoration-first stage (don't worry, some people finished it in a year)
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770819864514987162/RESTORATIONAUSTINHEALEY10061958

and rebuilding -second stage
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...LEY10061958BeginningMayJune2011endMayJune2013

then a chaotic Album where you can find some help on 100/6 "How is build" and particulars
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770819864514987162/DropBox#
00fb_3.JPGDSCN2253b.jpg
Cheers

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Welcome to the group and Best of Luck with the project. The group is fantastic for support and insight. but what are the details of the car? if in storage for such a long time? What is available of the interior, if any? Do you plan to redo as original or update for paint and later Healey power? How early is this 57? and do you happen to know the body#? Jim:driving:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome in, you found the best car forum in existence. BTW - The 1957 Big Healey Rules.....Right Randy.

2013 RMMR Saturday 101230.jpg

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randy - You note that you have a 57 (2 seater), when was it built and what is the body #? According to the Clausager book the 2 seaters were started to be built in March 58 with a BN6/501. thanks for your update. jim:driving:

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
i don't know the body #, I don't even know where to find it. the interior is shot. the seats are structurally sound and covered with vinyl. I do plan on using the orig eng and update the paint to BC/CC and use leather through out the interior.

57_BN4

Hi red89, welcome to the 57 club.

Body number is/was in the middle of the firewall on an oblong plate, starts with BN4L-0-xxxxx. If it has gone then you'll see two tiny screw holes about 3 inches apart. Also above it on a smaller tag is the body/batch number which is hand stamped XXXX / XXXX. One of those numbers also appears hand stamped on the LH hood hinge and on the trunk around where the prop rod hinges as well as on the back side of the aluminum cockpit trim rails and hood latch panel in front of the radiator.

These are an infuriatingly complicated car to restore but very rewarding in the end. I'd estimate 3-5 years for a full resto if you do something on it every day but are not doing it as a fulltime job.

Andy.

Country flag
Welcome in, you found the best car forum in existence. BTW - The 1957 Big Healey Rules.....Right Randy.

View attachment 29818
Absolutely, but it'll be a cold day in h3ll before I ever go up against you in yours!! I love your car__that color__let alone the performance.

Randy - You note that you have a 57 (2 seater), when was it built and what is the body #? According to the Clausager book the 2 seaters were started to be built in March 58 with a BN6/501. thanks for your update. jim:driving:
Yeah, BMIHT says it was made in May 58, but they weren't offering that vehicle research service__at least that I was aware of__and the Great State of California had my car titled as a 1957.

I bought it in 1978, and it was over six (>6) years later when I requested the 'Cert, but I was used to calling it a '57 by then, and that's what it's been titled as through three (3) additional States, so that's what I call it. To people that know the history of the Marque, like yourself, they are aware of when new models were released, and those that don't, don't care.

Look, it was signed by Anders himself, and only cost Five Bucks ($5.00)!

High res: https://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/var/albums/Healey_8-6-08/healey_doc_001.jpg?m=1304133864

healey_doc_001.jpg

rcflyer

So, there is 2 Austin Healey clubs?? I am a member of Austin Healey Club of America....I wander why we need 2. I think it is $50.00 year., Lee

Country flag
So, there is 2 Austin Healey clubs?? I am a member of Austin Healey Club of America....I wander why we need 2. I think it is $50.00 year., Lee
Well, 30 - 40 years ago, AHCA existed more for east coast/midwest owners, and then there was the Pacific Centre. I think the AHCPC was organized around 1970, not really sure when AHCA was put together, because I didn't join that until sometime in the 80s when I was living in Louisiana__east of the Mississippi...

With any luck, Reid will chime in and (correct me/...)/set us straight.

I've been members of both on & off over the years, mostly due to not remembering to keep the memberships current, but seem to have been able to have stayed paid up with both through most recent years. If you don't want to pony up for both, choose the one that suits you best, or alternate.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There's been a lot of discussion about why there are two National Clubs and they have been trying to merge but with out success so far.