• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new member with a 57

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Down Under we have five state based AH clubs. Then there are the Sprite clubs (even though most of the AH clubs welcome Sprites)! Only Victoria & New South Wales have resisted welcoming Sprites. Western Australia started out incorporating all Austin-Healeys.
So, two national clubs in a country with the number of Austin-Healeys that you have is pretty good, eh?
Hey red89c4, you are obviously a 'car guy'. How did you resist for so many years peeking under the cover to check out your Father in law's car?

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Good luck in your restoration. Will you be keeping it or will it go back to your father-in-law? If it were me, I'd be keeping it. lol

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
I intend on giving back to my father in law until he passes and then I will keep it in the family and will it to one of my kids.

TFR1

Country flag
I am only a short drive from Woodstock here in Rome, GA with my 1957 BN4.

Let me know if you need anything.

TFR1

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
thank you for your offer TFR1 I would love to come and look at yours to see where things are supposed to go. some parts of this car were/and are not attached. since I didn't take it apart I probably will need some help establishing the location of some items on the body. for those of you that responded that it is honorable that I am giving it back to him, I somewhat agree but keep in mind that he served in Korea and Vietnam as well as he gave me his middle daughter. I want this old man to ride in this car smiling all the way!!! to see that will be rewarding enough for me and my wife!

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey red89c4,
Welcome to the forum and the Healey world ! I also applaud you for starting this restoration to give back to your father in law - that is really great. I lived in Kennesaw for 20 years and if still there would love to help you out but now in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, so a tough commute. I also agree about the advice on joining the Austin Healey Club of USA to gain access to the tremendous restoration series done by Roger Moment - who you will come to learn is a Healey guru. Can't say enough how good that series is. Plus, I would also recommend you join the Austin Healey Club of America as it has a very large and enthusiastic chapter in Atlanta. Those guys are very active and know you will find help from them if needed. Good luck and post pictures.
Regards,
Mike

AHCUSA : www.healey.org
AHCA : www.healeyclub.org

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
got the motor, trans and 3rd member out today. the garage is a mess so after church tomorrow will be clean the garage and organization day. I will also try to post the body and engine numbers for you guys to decipher.

OP
R

red89c4

Freshman Member
here are the numbers body no 3949 5246 eng no 29d/ru/h2530 and my 1st major blunder, I dropped the motor off of the motor stand. it looks as if it landed on the #1 rocker arm. I didn't get it back up to check for sure that will happen next wkend.

Country flag
Well, that's a "3000" engine, not uncommon to find in a 100/6. Only the most astute will be able to tell the difference.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
so what does that mean, is it the original engine? is it normal to find this?

It means that the engine is an original Healey unit snd the reliability of a rebuild will be satisfied. Even editor Reid
wouldn't be able yo tell it was switched unless he reads this rhread---:glee:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The original engine in a 100-Six is 'only' 2600 cc. The engine was later bored out (and slightly changed inside) to 3000cc, the first series of these were pre-fixed 29D. Externally there is no difference. You have a later more powerful engine in your car which is good news and may even increase its value to someone not looking for a concours car.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
...forgot to mention. The numbers you gave are not the Chassis ID number for that car. The number should be something like ...'BN4L -O- *****'. The O is for overdrive. If your car didn't have one then the O will not be in the ID number. The original engine would have had the same number.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Well I would be able to tell it is not the original longbridge engine by just a glance. I think a lot of longbridge owners would too. But if it were mine I would go forward with the 3000 engine and consider this one a hotrod healey with the more powerful engine.

57_BN4

That puts your car build date at about the first week of July 1957 so it would have originally had the gallery head 102hp engine, no overdrive and probably disc wheels too. Andy.