• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New fuel pump - loud ticking, now fuel spraying!

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
After I converted to negative ground last weekend, I realized that the diode in my old fuel pump was blown. I have a spare negative ground pump that I decided to install just now. After installing it, when I turn the car on, it has a loud constant ticking. I thought it was just initially to get fuel flowing through it, but after about 30 seconds it kept doing. I started the car and it started fine, but I the ticking did not stop. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Re: Installed new fuel pump - constant loud ticking??

Could it be cavitating? That happened with me recently, upon first start after rebuild. I just loosened the fitting on the engine side of the pump, let it run for a couple of seconds, till gas came out. Apparently that cleared the air in the pump. No problem after that. Those who know more will probably point out the danger of flowing gasoline that near an electrical pump, or that what I did had nothing to do with the problem, but hey, we're all learning.

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee

That makes sense. Is there a safer way to get the air out of the system than loosening it at the fittings on the pump while it running?

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior

I wouldn't do it with the engine running. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. I just did it with the ignition switch in the "on" position. I also bled the system at the carbs.

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee

That's what I meant, with the pump running, not the engine. Anyone know if this is the proper thing to do?

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Re: Installed new fuel pump - constant loud tickin

I just went and re-checked all the fittings and they are nice and tight but it's still making the noise.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hi Brandon, on some of these new pumps they come with "O" rings instead of the old paper type gasket. Additionally the mounting bosses on aftermarket pumps are a bit shorter than the originals. Consequently it is possible that even though the fittings are tight the banjo can be cocked on the boss ever so slightly allowing the pump to pull air. I would add the paper washers in addition to the "O" rings and see if the pump does shut off correctly. Fwiw---Keoke

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee

Keoke, should there be a washer on both sides of the banjo? Currently, they are just on the line side and not the pump side.

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee

So I just went back and tightened the banjos even more. I think the inlet side was sticking so it was able to go in even further. I then started the car and the ticking slowed down and quieted. I got out to check on the fuel pump and it was spraying fuel out everywhere!!! I think it was coming from the fitting areas but I was so surprised that I ran to shut off the car first. Does this sound like the banjo fittings are just not tight enough? ( I tightened them about as tight as I could)

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Re: Installed new fuel pump - constant loud tickin

I took a picture of it while its on and off. Looking at it on it almost looks like I tightened it too tight and it loosened up the body. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 4488-fuelpumpoff.JPG
    4488-fuelpumpoff.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 4489-fuelpumpon.JPG
    4489-fuelpumpon.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 111

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

BrandonBJ8 said:
Keoke, should there be a washer on both sides of the banjo? Currently, they are just on the line side and not the pump side.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif
Yes to properly seal the banjo washers should be used on both sides. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif Do not overtighten the banjos or you will strip the pump's threads.----Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

If you look closely you will see that the lines are binding on the pumps housing because the pump's bosses are shorter. By tightening it you caused the tilt to be more sever. Leave the "O" rings in if they are ther and also add the paper washers.

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee

I figured it out. There was a screw on the pump housing that was loose. That combined with the pressure from the line pressing against the pump caused it to be an even larger gap. I pushed the fuel line away from the pump and tightened all screws. It's running well now with no leaks! I'll have to go pick up some paper washers though just in case. Thanks for the advice!

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag

That ain't right! I just replaced my pump last summer. If the fittings are leaking, they're probably shot, maybe cross threaded, others more knowledgeable will know...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

dar100 said:
That ain't right! I just replaced my pump last summer. If the fittings are leaking, they're probably shot, maybe cross threaded, others more knowledgeable will know...

Naw Dar100, he be ok now!---Keoke

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior

I was told that it takes a couple of gentle tightenings with the new paper washers to get them to seal. Of course, the banjos go on only one way correctly. The recessed part of the banjo itself is on the outside. The bolt holds one of the two paper washers into this recess. The pump side of the banjo is flat, with another paper washer. My new washers seeped a bit of gas with the first few engine run-ins. Slight, careful re-tightening, with the washers now saturated, stopped the seepage.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yes that is true Cutlass. However, the new pumps do not have flat surfaces for the banjo to rest on and they have shorter fuel bosses. Additionally, they have an "O" ring recessed in the end of the fuel boss. Consequently, there exists a thin lip around the out side of the "O" ring that can be damaged when the banjo is tightened and the fuel lines bind on the pump's body. Adding the paper washers in addition to the O rings generally moves the lines Far enough away from the body to alleviate the binding and provides a more secure surface for the banjo to seal against.--Fwiw---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Guess I'll get in on this also. The black fiber washers from Nock's are a little thicker & softer than the standard red washers & far easier to get sealed.

Keoke is right on about needing an intact O ring in the pump recess plus a fiber washer next to the banjo. As was said, flat side of the banjo toward the pump, washer, & O ring. Recessed side of the banjo with a fiber washer toward the head of the banjo bolt.

I skipped this whole mess by screwing hose barbs into the pump & using short hose connections.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Now hows you did them rubber things, did you add a ground from the fuel tank sender to the car chassis?? I don't know who said that!---- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonod.gif
----- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Note: *to all who have replaced a fuel pump* It is imperitive that you add a Grounding conductor from the Fuel tank's sender housing to the cars Chassis. This applies whether you have utilised rubber hoses or just the sealing washers.--- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif