• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Toyota - replacing the head gaskets...

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
You got it Kenny. I use a couple of long extentions put togeather.
Try Sears or Autozone. They don't need to be really expensive ones.
I think you need a wobble also.
P.S. My Dot makes me scroll the page so she can see Pinkey and the Brain every time she sees one of your posts

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I just finished vacuuming!

Porsche 911 Targa A/C system. Charged it up and 40° air from the vents now. Car is a late '80's, has just 30K miles onna clock. Nice clean one. Friends of 30+ years drove it up from Boca Grande for us to have a day of goofin' with it and laughin' about the "old days."

OP
kennypinkerton
hehehe - thanks. I like your Calvin, but I miss the Hobbes on you had.

and yes, I'm having a blast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, I haven't even bought/ordered the gasket set yet... But I made it a goal to have the heads at least loose by yesterday... Removing the front wen't real quick since I'd done it before. I have yet to pick up my Haynes manual (except to see the un-torquing sequence). So I'm not doing too bad on my own. I'll definately have the manual out when I put the heads and intake back on - I want to get those torques dead on.

Oh, and Ewwwww at the smell when I got the head loose. stinky motor internals. I'll be doing alot of cleaning before it all goes back together. I should have the heads off thursday evening. I'm figuring all day friday (and the rest of next week) cleaning parts - lots of carbon and gummy yuck in the intake system.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Man I can detect someone removing head bolts, just by smell, from across the shop.
Something about that baked oil smell.....

Those are torque to yeild bolts. use new ones.
They get torqued to something like 40 ftlbs, then turned 90 deg, then another 90 deg.
You'll need a paint pen to mark them so you get 'em all right.

OP
kennypinkerton
I thought they were really tight... I had to go buy a huge breaker bar to get them loose (nothing like owning a little persuasion)... Everything else I got loose with either standard size wrenches, or a really small craftsman 3/8 drive ratchet that came in a $40 toolkit.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I remember back a few years ago my friend,who worked as a mechanic at the local Toyota dealer,told me that there was a huge problem with these V6's.He also told me that,at the time,they had about 60 of them left to do.All on warranty.
One customer had a rental car for 3-6 months,that Toyota paid for.

- Doug

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've a SawzAll... you got a pair a shoes wot'll fit yer kneecaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmm.... Dorf on Shade Tree Mechanicin'?

naaaaahhh... I think I'll pass on the sawzall. Thanks for the offer though, Doc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
kennypinkerton
Actually, there's 4 big problems with these v-6's:

1. They're a PITA to work on
2. The headgaskets suck
3. The water pumps, and timing belt idler pulley's suck
4. they cannot be made to make more power

I think I'll go diesel next time for my people-hauler/vacation-ride. A nice 4 door pickup-truck soundin really good about now. And although I don't know anything about deisel engines... My luck with vehicles says I'll learn quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So without rereading all the posts, How many miles are on the 4runner?
I will be looking at a HG replacement on the Landcruiser as preventative maint. They are usually good for about 120K, Im at 116K on our '94 gotta L O V E the gasket material, Not to mention aluminim heads and cast iron blocks. We have a DOHC I6 not to mention a lift kit, No buckets for me, I need a crane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Good luck

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ummm... I've currently TWO vehicles with Ford cast-iron blocks and aluminum heads. The go just FINE, thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
kennypinkerton
It has about 125,000 miles on it... And It has let go of the not only the headgasket, but before that the water pump, an idler pulley, and the timing belt. I replaced those about 300 miles ago. Hopefully when I'm done, it'll last another 100,000+ miles... because I won't put that many miles on it. Most miles I ever put on a car was around 60,000-70,000 And that was a car I owned for 6 years.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hey! You're s'posed to be out there shiverin' yer kunyat's off pullin' 'yota bits out with numb fingers an' all... not lazin' about in here. Break's OVER! Back on yer head.

OP
kennypinkerton
Sorry I'm stuck at work... And the only thing keeping me from getting the heads off right now is the exhaust... gotta go get enough extensions so's I can reach the downpipe flange from under the truck.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Here you go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• 193192-20531.jpg
    193192-20531.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 72
OP
kennypinkerton
Yeah... Thanks. I'll check there first, and if they don't have them, then sears has 20" ones for $13.

OP
kennypinkerton
At least I won't have to jack the truck up to get to it... With 31 inch tires it sits nice n high anyway.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Go, Kenny, Go!

Know what you're into - we're replacing the air compressor & dryer on my 380SL...those things are hidden way down under everything....took the radiator to the shop today to have it checked (might as well while its out).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Diesela has some "issues" with the vacuum controls: she goes from blowin' A/C to full hot at will... Horsemits says the ol' gal is menopausal... Hot flashes alla time.