• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips
For articles related to the Jaguar marque

Submitted by @Basil
I have always loved British sports cars, especially Jaguars. I learned to drive backin 1966 in Bridgeport West Virginia in a 1960 Jag XK150 that belonged to a friend of the family (I was 12 years old)! Ever since then I longed to own a Jag of my own. One day, while driving down Hampton Bldv in Aurora, CO, I spotted a tan colored Jaguar XKE Coupe sitting at a service station with a FOR SALE sign in the rear window! I called the number and learned the car belonged to a couple who were selling it because they were expecting a new baby and needed a more practical car. What luck! I just happened to have had a 1963 Pontiac Catalina! I was only a junior in high school at the time (1971), but was able to trade my Pontiac to the couple and talked my Dad into co-signing a loan for about $2200 which was the agreed-to difference. I was in 7th Heaven! Here I was, a Junior in high school, and while all my friends were tooling around in beat-up Chevy's and Mustangs I was driving a 1967 Jaguar E-Type Coupe! The car was Valentine Beige (a non-standard color that had been special ordered and factory painted by the original owner). I have never seen another that color. It was beautiful!

This was my car in High School โ€“ as it looks today!

Anyway, I sold that beautiful car in 1972 when I joined the US Air Force and I regretted that decision all my life (I eventually did get another E Type, but that firstone was something special). For years I wondered what happened to that car when one day, about a year ago, I saw a posting on a message list about someone with a beige or tan 67 E-Type. I managed to email the fellow and eventually spoke to him on the phone and learned to my amazement that he owned my old Jag! His name is Ben and he lives in Colorado. The car is still in very good original condition (he did repaint it the original color) and he sent me a picture as it looks today! (The picture you see at the top of this page) Not long ago, while visiting my sister-in-law in Denver, I looked up Ben, the current owner, and he invited me over to see my old car. When I got there, not only did I get to see it, but he let me drive it around a bit! What a thrill it was to drive my old high school car 28 years after selling it! Thanks Ben!!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My Dad always had big cars. A 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom with breezeway window, 390, 4bbl and 4:10 rear. I started learning to drive and the dealer brought home a 1957 XK 140 MC Coupe, which I instantly started to learn 4 speed. They got divorced and Mom sold the Jag. I got married after the Marines and we bought a 1953 XK 120 Roadster in bad shape. So, technically my first owned Jag. Sold to a gentleman who had a garage fire and detroyed the front end of his concours XK 120. Then, used that money to purchase the 1958 MK1 pictured in my ID. Under restoration with a spare in storage for parts. My signature has the Jags I have owned over the years, but I owe the MK a renewal for all the years i let it set.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
When I was in college (in the USAF AECP program) I bought and restored a 54 XK120. The 120 has always been my favorite Jag (in terms of looks) but the thing drove like a truck (an old truck). Not really a lot of fun to drive.

XK120 Cys.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The XK 140 had more leg room, and the torsion bars could be adgusted. More HP than 120. I drove hard on trips, but when challenged to a drag race I brought the Mercury.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Great story.
My stepfather bought this new, a 1973 XJ6. BRG with Biscuit interior. Met my mom in '79. She loved the car and always took care of it and took it to car shows. I rolled up to my driving test (should have seen the instructors face) in it and got my license. Was in really good shape until the late 90's and then never got used. Sorry to say that it has been slowly sinking into her detached garage's dirt floor for at least 15years or more. She's having the garage rebuilt with new floors but the car might just be too far gone to save. I still have her trophies and 99% Concours perfect scorecards. Shame really. I like the car but just don't have the space for a car this large. Would get one one day when I have the room.

1614874994703.png

(not the actual car)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Beautiful XJ! We had a 76 for a few years that was the same color but with black interior. It was nice, but nowhere near. Show winner. It was one of the most comfortable cars Iโ€™ve ever owned.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Agreed. My parents moved to Bermuda for a few years so I had ownership of it for a while. I recall nice power, comfortable ride and for a heavy car, it handled quite nicely. I redid all the wood and the interior was perfect and all leather. Rea l shame. I doubt it can be saved it's so rusty now :-(