• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Murphy's Law of Fate?

zekjet

Freshman Member
I've been working hard on my TR6, getting it ready for my first British Car Day South tomarrow in Salibury, NC, after changing the oil and filter, I took it out for a spin to check for any leaks, so far so good, as I'm pulling into my garage the heater control valve decides to blow. i'm pretty bummed I can't drive it tomarrow to the show, but then again I could be waiting on a flat bed to get me home or worse being stranded tomarow trying to get to the show.

G

Just take it off the head, leave the short piece of pipe sticking up (should be the female end) and stick a pipe plug in it with teflon tape. Should be pipe thread, but check it first. Discard the valve. On the hose end of the valve, stick a solid plug in the rubber hose and clamp it down good and tight. Or, just put an elbow in the part coming out of the head and go directly to the heater hose and you will have the heater on all the time. The way a TR6 heater works, you will never notice the difference.

Don't let something small like that stop you from a show!

Bill

Woops, read the other post. What do you mean by bad heater core? Leaks? Then just totally bypass the heater core by routing the water from the head to the out hose on the core. Just takes some imagination and some rigging. Your engine compartment will end up looking like an MG when you are done.

Bill

OP
zekjet

zekjet

Freshman Member
Thanks guys for the input! I'll try to by pass it. Oh BTW the heater core is just fine, i was referencing it as an example.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Zekjet,

Are you still coming? I've been cleaning up the old girl all day to get ready. Please step by and say hi, I'll be in the red 72 TR6 with chrome wire wheels... and a screaming four year old kid (his very first, and probably very last car show).

OP
zekjet

zekjet

Freshman Member
Shannon,
I'll be there tomarrow, I'll be the one with a 2 year old and 3 1/2 year old in tow. I was unable to complete the bypass, fittings with english threads are hard to find last minute. Looking foreward to meeting you and checking out your TR. P.S. I want to hear your new exhaust! What a masterpiece. Jim

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Take plenty of pictures with your kids in them. I wish digital cams were around 20 years ago when I was doing the shows with a 4 year old. I have not had the time to covert the slides into digitals but the pictures are dear to me.