• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I fought Murphy's law, and I won.

newmexTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On Friday me and my wife started our drive from Brooklyn to Maine for a friend's wedding. We planned on stopping for the night when we were about an hour away from Kennebunkport, our final destination.

After a solid 5 hours of driving, we pull off the interstate in Tewksbury to find a motel, and suddenly the water pump seizes up on the Triumph. I managed to pull into a gas station, and after calling AAA, within 15 minutes a flatbed was there for the car. I had them tow us to our hotel, which by providence was only 2 miles away, so we didn't get charged. from break-down to hotel took only about 45 minutes. It really couldn't have worked out better... especially because I actually had a brand new water pump in my trunk! haha!

This was one of the only things I hadn't changed in the engine, and before I left on the road trip, I thought to myself that I better bring it, so I threw it in the trunk. Amazing luck!

Got up early the next morning, installed the new pump, and got on the road again within a couple hours. I still can't believe it was that easy of a breakdown & fix.

Somewhere the Triumph gods were smiling on me!

Also, thanks to Art for being a sounding board on the install!

Cheers,
Gavin

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What luck! You must have been a Boy Scout :cheers:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Well that worked out about as well as possible, and your prep/spare for the trip didn't hurt.

So where are the picture of you fixing it in the parking lot?

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I always like to travel with a complete pump with gasket and sealer in a ziplock bag.Sounds like you were on the same page.My only road trouble, in 50k, so far was a sport coil that suddenly dropped dead.The water pump was of no help on this...
MD(mad dog)

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Glad it all worked out OK for you Gavin. This could be the first time I've ever seen someone have the correct spare in their trunk to fix a break down. :laugh:

T

Tinster

Glad it worked out so easily for you Gavin.

I also carry a spare water pump in the trunk of my TR6.
I believe you can never have too many spare parts in
these cars. A complete spare ignition system is a must
and a spare fuel pump is also a must. Fanbelt as well.

Happy your trip went well.

dale (Tinster)

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
newmexTR3 said:
On Friday me and my wife started our drive from Brooklyn to Maine for a friend's wedding. We planned on stopping for the night when we were about an hour away from Kennebunkport, our final destination.

After a solid 5 hours of driving, we pull off the interstate in Tewksbury to find a motel, and suddenly the water pump seizes up on the Triumph. I managed to pull into a gas station, and after calling AAA, within 15 minutes a flatbed was there for the car. I had them tow us to our hotel, which by providence was only 2 miles away, so we didn't get charged. from break-down to hotel took only about 45 minutes. It really couldn't have worked out better... especially because I actually had a brand new water pump in my trunk! haha!

This was one of the only things I hadn't changed in the engine, and before I left on the road trip, I thought to myself that I better bring it, so I threw it in the trunk. Amazing luck!

Got up early the next morning, installed the new pump, and got on the road again within a couple hours. I still can't believe it was that easy of a breakdown & fix.

Cheers,
Gavin

Gavin: You are lucky, indeed! A more common scenario would have been for the spare water pump to have failed, also, at the most inconvenient possible time, location and circumstance! :devilgrin:

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
newmexTR3 said:

Cheers,
Gavin

Baby threw a tantrum in front of everyone and, being the spoiled brat it is, you gave it what it wanted. A water pump I can see, but I have this one car whos so spoiled even gets jealous that I have to leave at least one thing broken just to improve its dependability. If I were to fix these things, something more important probably would break.

And 15 minutes?!? They have always been an hour for me. Heck, the first time I ever needed a tow truck, even though I was a triple A member, I didnt use them. Said it would be an hour. So I called someone else. They were also an hour. It needed to be towed ONE mile... ...$100!!!!

OP
newmexTR3

newmexTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yeah, the AAA tow truck was incredibly fast. I really couldn't believe it. On a Friday evening too. I guess the guy's shop was just down the road.

My biggest fear now is that I've used up all my TR good luck on this breakdown, and the next incident will be extra bad!

Country flag
Tinster said:
I believe you can never have too many spare parts in
these cars.

Carrying a complete unassembled car in your trunk IS a little much! :laugh:

Country flag
I had a similar experience in my 69 SC/Rambler on my way to an AMC meet in London, Ontario, Canada. Water pump quit, so I jumped in my friend's 69 AMX and we headed for the meet figuring there would SURELY be a pump at the show. We DID try 2 parts stores along the way, no luck of course. Got to the show - found the ONLY water pump there - but it WAS there! Drove back to the car, swapped out the pump, drove BACK to the meet. Arrived just in time for the dinner and got a standing ovation! :laugh: Gotta roll with the punches sometimes....lol

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
MDCanaday said:
I always like to travel with a complete pump with gasket and sealer...

Me too, but I also carry a little gadget for pulling the pulley off the pump (can be stubborn, also can leave a mark in your radiator or hand):

waterpump.JPG

T

Tinster

Silverghost Carrying a complete unassembled car in your trunk IS a little much! :laugh: [/quote said:
Now Peter, you know the DPO drove the car into the ground until
it was really a parts car. When a part failed, I bought 2 replacements.
One to fix the failed part and the second to go into the trunk as a spare.
Actually, as Frank and many others well know; you really need to order three.

One will be defective right out of the box, one to go on the car and one
for the trunk as a spare.

spareparts4.jpg

spareParts-2-1.jpg

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Geo Hahn said:
MDCanaday said:

Me too, but I also carry a little gadget for pulling the pulley off the pump (can be stubborn, also can leave a mark in your radiator or hand):

waterpump.JPG

Clever. Looks like one of those homemade devices created when the local autopart store's tool either doesnt fit, breaks, hurts you, or some combination of the 3.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
MDCanaday said:

waterpump.JPG

Nicely designed puller Geo... :cheers:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Of course, it's not much help if you have one of the 'improved' pumps with the permanently installed pulley
grin.gif

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
martx-5 said:
Geo Hahn said:
MDCanaday said:

waterpump.JPG

Nicely designed puller Geo... :cheers:

Ok you lost me with that puller, from what I see, you seem to have clamped the pulley, but I see no way to force the pulley off of the shaft?? Is this a mock up or is it missing a drive screw?

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Simple, you just slowly tighten the top screws on each side. The nuts are either welded to the bar, or held in place by a wrench. The force will cause the lower bars upward. Since the top cant go down, this slowly forces the pulley to pull upward too. Its quite ingenious.