• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Muffler HELP!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Seems this is the stock system on Emma too according to olwhatshisname.

I'm just really weary of knocking heads with him over car stuff the last week or so. I MAY give on this, but I'm taking control and exclusive ownership of Binabox. We're not going to start cheaping things out. Even if we don't 'keep' Emma forever, I have plans of giving/selling her to Sarah & Rob in a year or two. I want it done right. That system going to sound like crap Tony?

I need a vacation.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Original system is quiet - like it was designed to be...

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Not tinny though? Man, a guy in our club has a '71 with the crappiest tincan-sounding exhaust.

I'm going to go relax & read a bit. I have a carheadache. And I have to leave here at 5am to get Chuck to the hospital (mylogram) and get back home by 6:30am.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine isn't tinny - tinny usually means crappy aftermarket - IMHO!

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
JB, I got a lousy front pipe from BV and had to send it back so I had my local muffler shop. Not one of a chain, make me up a new front pipe, straight pipe to the muffler and a GlasPak. For about $100 total. They did a fine job and it has that cool sound we all like - well, most of us seem to like. This shop has been in business for over 20 years and this was my criteria in who should do the work: length of time in service.

Guinn

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Guinn, Tony, I'm not giving yet. I'm making some calls in the morning. I would tell them what model car I have, wait for the laughter to die down, then tell them I want what exactly?

I need everything from the manifold back.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
And I have to leave here at 5am to get Chuck to the hospital (mylogram) and get back home by 6:30am.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi JB,
My deepest sympathy to Chuck. Be very glad that it isn't happening to you. I wish him the best & hope everything goes well.
D

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I've had a mylogram, 28 years ago, but yea, I know! If it helps diagnose what's wrong with his leg and fixes his crabbiness, will be well worth it!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When do you get to bring him home? If that were SWMBO I'd be pacin' th' cage at th' clinic 'til I clapped eyes on her again...

When do you find out what the medico's learn from it?

I know, I know... too many questions...

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
He may have to stay overnight. I'm calling the ortho in 15 minutes to get him to release him later tonight (9 or 10ish) because I can't get him home in the morning after 6:30am.

You'd be pacing? Bwahahahahaha. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet! I had a long vacation remember, and a bit too much family time and bonding.

He sees the orthoped next Tuesday. Hopefully we'll have a course of action then.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hope all is well and manageable.

I *hate* this ageing thingie. I wanna have my 20 year old cloneed body, the age mitigating nanites and a BRAIN transplant, dammit... NOW!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Janell...everything will tirn out okay with chuck, I'd bet!

Now, on the exhaust...the local muffler shop won't be able to make the header pipe (goes from the manifold to the exhaust pipe)...you'll need to buy that either new or used.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
FYI, I've been on the phone this morning. Seven muffler/exhaust shops that are not the chain variety. Explained I needed a complete system from the manifold back, 2" pipe, aluminized steel, with a GlasPak. Here's the responses:

#1--Affton Automotive "Oh, heck (after I told him what sort of car) not sure what we can do. But can't do anything without seeing the car."

#2--Custom Muffler "Sh*t.(after I told him what sort of car) You better bring 'er in, we can't use any parts but our own."

#3--Don's Muffler "We may be able to do that but you'll have to bring the car in because we'll get it up on the rack."

#4--Precision Automotive "heck, I can't do that, try the guy in Red Bud."

#5--Mill Street Exhaust (the guy in Red Bud, and I woke him) "Whoa, an old car, a what MG? Cool. Call back, I can do that, but I don't screw with headers."

#6--Exhaust Unlimited (wrong #/out of business, got Dobbs Tire)

#7--Coffey Automotive "Bring the car into the shop and we'll take a look and see what we can do, if we can do it."

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Chuck will be fine. Too damned onery for anything else. Just have to fix this compressed nerve or whatever in his leg because it's getting to the both of us now! Cranky ol' coot!

Who's aging Doc? I feel as good as I did 20+ years ago. Don't look as good, but feel like I'm still 20 (99% of the time) Age is just a concept. You're only as old as you think you are, as you act!

SINCE I can't take Emma into any shops because she's gutted right now with a ZS and exhaust system laying on the garage floor, I am going to have to concede this round and order the *BLEAGHBORINGBLAH* stock exhaust. But I am armed and prepared when it comes to Binabox! Who may get into the shop a lot sooner than late March/early April!!! YAY!

Hey, while I'm thinking of it, I need front brake lines, the flexible stuff? I can't find it in the Moss catalog. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'd be the way it works: "custom" system made to fit Emma like a Dior gown... just gotta find Dior in that pile of responses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Emma's getting a gown off the rack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We'll save the designer apparel for Binabox. Quite frankly, I'm tired of farking with it, with dahubby, with the carb issue and now the exhaust issue. I need to more onto better things like ordering tops, interiors, and fun stuff like picking a color!

swift6

Yoda
Those are all very typical exhaust shop responses to phone inquiries. Most figure once it's up on their lift they can talk you into the job. Just don't let 'em try to raise the price because its "foreign and therefore tricky". B's have very, very simple exhaust.

While your in the mood to do some calling. You might try calling some of the Hot Rod shops around your greater metro area and just ask them who does their custom exhaust work. I worked with a shop that needed to make a custom header for a 1967 Morgan+4. We ended up finding a guy through Hot Rod folks that did the most beautiful work in his home work shop for very reasobale money. It was the first British Car he had ever worked on and he thought it was pretty cool.

Good luck.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The good brake hose sets are in one place and the hoses are on the pages with the brakes.

Check your index.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The good brake hose sets are in one place and the hoses are on the pages with the brakes.

Check your index.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm... Jack... You alright? Havin' a "senior moment"??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jaybird says "Hey, while I'm thinking of it, I need front brake lines, the flexible stuff? I can't find it in the Moss catalog. Anyone know what I'm talking about?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif