• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Muffler HELP!

Steve_S

Yoda
Peco comes in stainless if you don't want to go through the trouble of stripping the factory paint and spraying it yourself. It's a great system with a nice sound.

I have a Falcon SS system on my GT. The sound is pleasent and quiet but there is an annoying chirping sound near idle that drives me crazy. I cut out the resonator and threw it in the trash but that didn't fix the problem, just made it a bit louder. My muffler guy told me it's a problem with the Falcon's free-flow design. My Peco does not make the noise.

Now, moving away from the "kits" and on to real systems, I just had a new system custom-made for my YB using 1.75" pipe and a center flat muffler. I was going for quiet and low and that's what I got. On a B I would install a glass pack if I wasn't going Peco, with a 1.75" or 2" pipe.

One advantage of the custom system is that I worked with the muffler guy to route the pipes exactly where they should be for ease of maintenance and heat control. I doubt I will ever buy a kit again, but rather will go to a real muffler shop and have a system made. The new system on my YB was $180 installed for everything from the gasket clamp back (everything after the cast iron manifold).

One last noteworthy item... Stainless Steel is no longer the way to go! Mild steel has the obvious disadvantage of rust. Stainless Steel does not have this problem but does suffer from increased expanding and contracting when compared to other materials. This WILL result in cracks and / or leaks later on and can also cause premature gasket failure.

The material of choice these days is aluminized steel. This is the same stuff that comes on new cars. It can be polished to a high shine if desired, will not rust, is thicker than stainless and costs less money. It is also less vulnerable to temperature change. If you look at exhaust systems on most high-mileage newer cars you will notice the exhaust systems are still relatively shiney even though the car is ready for the junk heap. And the mufflers themselves now outlast the vehicle! This is the beauty of aluminized steel.

That's my 2.49 cents USD. And if anyone needs the name of a great muffler shop in the LA area let me know.

G

Steve, I've never seen an aluminized exhaust system for a B. Do you know if the major suppliers have come out with something like it yet?

I've got a new mild steel setup on the 64, and on the GT, I was planning to put a Falcon SS Big Bore.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
We don't have any 'old guy' shops around any more. It's all chains like Midas. The one shop in town here didn't have a clue what an MG was or where to get a muffler for it.

IF I decide to have one made, it sounds like it's cheaper and is going to be just as good, right? IF I do this, you guys will have to walk me through what to order/ask for.

I need one for the '66 and one for the '75.

Steve_S

Yoda
James, I haven't seen one either. But it would be easy for any old-school muffler guy to make one using the stock manifold. If he doesn't have the proper clamps, you could cut the ones off a stock downpipe and weld them to the aluminized pipes. Believe it or not, the aluminized pipe even welds to stainless! Ask me how I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

One more note, always weld exhaust joints, not clamp. If you really, really need to remove the system and for some reason can't just pull it off in one piece, just cut the pipe and reweld. Clamps just rust in place so they have to be cut off anyway, and they distort the tubes and eventually leak.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ohh, glass packs, the sound of my youth.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
What's a glass pack and what's it do?

Steve_S

Yoda
A glass pack (cherry bomb to the hot rod crowd) is basically a straight-through exhaust that uses sound absorbtion to lower the loudness of the exhaust. The "muffler" device is a round tube with a perforated pipe running through it. Between the inner pipe and outer shell is a layer of glass insulation that absorbs much of the exhaust sound.

This type of system reduces backpressure on the engine but is not as quiet as an actual muffler.

EDIT: Here is a better explaination than mine: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
So I'd use a glass pack INSTEAD of the muffler?

Is it overly loud?

Steve_S

Yoda
Yes, instead of a muffler. Loudness is up to personal interpretation. In a roadster I don't think it would be too loud for you so long as you don't mind hearing your exhaust. In a GT it will be much more annoying than in the convertible though, as GTs are pretty loud to begin with. I'd say a glass pack system would be about the same loudness as a Peco system, only not as mellow of a tone. That's just a guess though.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I don't mind it being loud, I don't mind hearing it, I just don't want to be obnoxious.

I did find a couple shops I'll call tomorrow. And for grins, I'll call the shop in town here and order up a Peco header, 2" aluminized pipes and 2 glass packs. And listen for the dead silence at the other end of the phone!

Steve_S

Yoda
You only need one glass pack. I don't think I've ever seen two used in one system but I'm no expert. The Peco system uses only one silencer as well. I just removed the front silencer from my GT for the same reason I removed the one on the convertible many years ago... they get smashed on speed bumps! That and I like the more aggressive sound of not having one there. I did however notice a LOT more bass inside the cockpit of the GT when I'm going up a hill or under heavy throttle compared to when before I removed it. Cruising along sounds nearly identical to the old setup.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steve...I've done singles & doubles...prefer double...larger under seat, shorter in rear...loud but not too loud...actually, adding the 2nd mellows the exhaust

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
non-sense... every town has the "old guy" shops... just put your address in Google maps and then search for muffler shops... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

it's the 'old guy" muffler shops that the hot rodders to go for their custom exhausts cause we all know how much fun it is to get custom work done at those chain stores... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Noonie, find me one then!

I'll try what you said! And get right back witcha.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Chuck's Auto & Truck Sales/Rpr
618 N Main St, Columbia, IL
0.5 mi S - (618) 281-3534
**this is the only one in my town, and I wouldn't give that guy a dime, he messed me over once early summer**

Columbia Firestone
250 Columbia Ctr, Columbia, IL
1.1 mi SW - (618) 281-6900
***No, not going to a tire store.

Car-X Auto Svc
3560 Lemay Ferry Rd, St Louis, MO
7.4 mi NW - (314) 894-0089

Midas Auto Service Experts: Mehlville
3636 Lemay Ferry Rd, St Louis, MO
7.4 mi NW - (314) 894-2727

Meineke Car Care Center
3722 Lemay Ferry Rd, St Louis, MO
7.4 mi NW - (314) 894-0333

Cahokia Discount Mufflers
2804 Camp Jackson Rd, Cahokia, IL
7.6 mi NE - (618) 337-4314

Mid States Super Liner
99 Water St, East St Louis, IL
8.0 mi N - (618) 337-3366

Quality Auto Repair
3245 Mount Pleasant St, St Louis, MO
8.4 mi N - (314) 351-4325

Russell's Auto Repair
631 Jeffco Blvd, Arnold, MO
8.8 mi W - (636) 296-4820

Affton Muffler & Brake Stop
8600 Gravois Rd, St Louis, MO
9.0 mi NW - (314) 638-1764

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Dahubby came home from guys night and said John can get him the 3 piece standard system (that's in Moss) for $130. GRRRRR. I don't WANT that exhaust.

And he wouldn't even listen about having one custom made.

I'm about ready to have him custom made. Think they'll do a lobotomy tomorrow when they do the mylogram if I slip them some money?

Steve_S

Yoda
The stock system would be fine. It's just gonna rust eventually. It may lose you 2 or 3 horsepower max on a stock engine but that's not really noticable. I ran one for years myself although it was an early car which has a far, far superior exhaust manifold and downpipe design.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The stock muffler system that's on my '79 Vermillion Red car is the original system...100,000+ miles later, its solid & good as new.