• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Media Blasters

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Quick question for you folks in the LA area. Do any of you know of a media blaster in the Glendale/Burbank/Hollywood area?

I got my wheels last night, and they need a good blasting before I re-paint them.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmm... unfortunately, my B isn't up to a trip that far. Other wise, I'd seriously take you up on that offer.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Talked to a wheel repair shop earlier today. They said that it would be $80 to completely refinish each wheel (including fixing curb rash, cracks, etc.), and I would basically have a new set of wheels when all said and done. Unfortunately, what I've spent on the wheels already + $360 to have all 4 reconditioned would come out to ~more~ than buying a new set of wheels. The same shop quoted $25/wheel just to blast them down to bare metal.

I think I'm going to go the DIY route with these, start to finish. I was looking at the wheels last night and none of the nooks and crannies appeared to be too tight to do by hand with sand paper or with a stripping wheel on a drill. Besides, it'll build my character out more to do these myself. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

beachbumbarry

Nunyas, your looking at a lot of work and time, just to save $100. Is your time and sweat not worth a lot more than that ? If you do it your self, don't forget to apply hand lotion after washing your hands.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmm... hadn't looked at it that way. Gonna be some time before i get around to doing the wheels up. I may still change my mind about stripping them, but for now I think I'll do it myself.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
$80/wheel seems to be the going rate out here. I got exactly the same quote from a shop here in Salinas.

R.

Steve_S

Yoda
The place in Van Nuys charges by the minute. IIRC, you have rostyles? Those should be fast, maybe 30 minutes I would think.

I plan to get a blast cabinet at some point but I don't have one yet or I'd let you use it.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
not planning on restoring the Rostyles. I have a set of 15x5.5 SAAB Shelby wheels that I want to refinish before I put new tires on them and mount them to the car.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
$150 to have all four blasted and coated?

The place my friend referred me to would charge me $80/wheel to strip, repaint, and repair any damage to the wheel(s) (including curb rash and roundness). The more I think about it the better it sounds. They'll be like new when I get them back.

Steve_S

Yoda
You can call and check, but that's what I seem to remember a friend being charged. I could be mistaken. I'm positive there was no repair work done, just refinishing.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I have a couple of things I want to take care of before I set about cleaning the wheels up. I'll make my final decision on what to do with them then.