• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Made a decision, my MGB is going...

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They didn't say specifically where, just that it was a small crack they felt they could repair. I did let them know that I have spare heads of unknown quality should they be needed. If it's fixable I'd rather keep this one, as it is the original and is a non-smog head (being a UK home market car).

I pinged the main shop for additional updates, and they did let me know that the machine shop is a bit backed up and that's where the delays have been so far. I can live with that.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Things have ground to a bit of a halt on this project. Machine shop is backed up, so we're just waiting our turn. The advantage there is that the longer this takes, the more money I save up to pay for it. 🤑

I did make one project decision lately. Had the shop get me a rough quote for painting the engine bay and trunk while the engine was out. Both are badly painted black right now. Decided to skip that for a while. The quote was reasonable, but the budget is already stretched to fit this car and my Bugeye, so bodywork will wait for another day. The outside of the car is decent, and Utah is a dry place so if you don't drive them in the winter they last a long time.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Things have ground to a bit of a halt on this project. Machine shop is backed up, so we're just waiting our turn. The advantage there is that the longer this takes, the more money I save up to pay for it. 🤑

I did make one project decision lately. Had the shop get me a rough quote for painting the engine bay and trunk while the engine was out. Both are badly painted black right now. Decided to skip that for a while. The quote was reasonable, but the budget is already stretched to fit this car and my Bugeye, so bodywork will wait for another day. The outside of the car is decent, and Utah is a dry place so if you don't drive them in the winter they last a long time.
You're coming into Christmas - just a few extra gigs and you are good to go. 😁 Seriously, I realize money is always an issue but if there is ever a time to do it right, this is it. It will bother you every time you see it. It is too nice a car to do otherwise.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
At least have them do the engine bay Drew. As JP says, you'll look at it later and hang yer head. My choice to do up this one has not been a regret, though it took more time and cash. At the time it was a tough decision.

Just as 'inspiration':

afterbay1.jpg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
I agree with the above comments and the engine bay is not a big diy project. Sand the good areas, strip the bad and prep for epoxy primer, shoot a top coat and you’ll be golden. Heck, you can even get a cheap HF suction sand blaster and a bag of fine media and knock it out in less than an hour followed by prep and paint.
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
At this point sadly the funding is just not there to have them do it. There is some body work to do eventually, and when that time comes I'll do it or get it done. Pulling the engine isn't all that hard, and at that time I can do more prep in the engine bay with my own free labor.

To be honest, gigging has been slow over the last 2 years for obvious reasons, and that cuts down on the available funding. I try to keep my car spending out of the family budget as much as possible. I struggled with this decision for a week, but in the end the paint work will just have to wait. Trying my hardest to stay focused on getting the Bugeye back on the road, and that's going to take all my time and resources. So the ugly black paint stays for now.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Understandable dilemma, Drew. And your decision, pragmatic. (y)

Any "discretionary" monies here have been diverted from LBC projects to the more "sensible" domestic ones the hovel needs. Not pleased over it but the times dictate it to be so. "The times, they are a-changin'."

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Understandable dilemma, Drew. And your decision, pragmatic. (y)

Any "discretionary" monies here have been diverted from LBC projects to the more "sensible" domestic ones the hovel needs. Not pleased over it but the times dictate it to be so. "The times, they are a-changin'."
Indeed - totally understand (but we had to try) :cheers:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Found this scrolling across the "Media" ribbon. This is after most of the work was completed. Later I changed to an aluminum radiator (big improvement) and an alternator:
EngineMG.JPG

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I spend a lot of time at my day job thinking about prioritization and how to keep what's most important in mind as you go through a project. All of that has rubbed off (finally!) in my personal life as well. I want to drive this car and my Bugeye soon, so I need to keep the resources focused. Once those projects are done and I've had some fun driving, I'll look at the MGB bodywork and safe up to get it all sorted as well. Long term might cost a little more, but the payoff is getting to drive them sooner.

So yes, I over-analyze a bit now. Overtrained, I guess. 😁

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A confession of sorts, that engine bay I painted with the engine in the car. It was fiddly but do-able. Just something to consider.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I know the feeling, as I was prepping the TF for a new transmission and put it on hold as the wife has to have back surgery removing two bone spurs. Has had doctors' meetings, cats scan, and now is scheduled to see a neurosurgeon prior to scheduling surgery, been months getting everything set up. In the meantime, she sees a pain doctor and has had some relief. The TF is the least of my concerns at this point. Gotta take care of momma!! (y)

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A confession of sorts, that engine bay I painted with the engine in the car. It was fiddly but do-able. Just something to consider.
It is a consideration for the future. Good to know it's at least possible.

I know the feeling, as I was prepping the TF for a new transmission and put it on hold as the wife has to have back surgery removing two bone spurs. Has had doctors' meetings, cats scan, and now is scheduled to see a neurosurgeon prior to scheduling surgery, been months getting everything set up. In the meantime, she sees a pain doctor and has had some relief. The TF is the least of my concerns at this point. Gotta take care of momma!! (y)
Tough stuff, hope it all goes well for her!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Strange how that works. Herself has had physical issues in the past, surgery with a wound needing to heal from the inside, out. I was nurse for a couple months, 24/7. Think "mother hen," making sure whatever her needs or wants, it would be taken care of. Hated to see her in discomfort.

I just underwent an arterial bypass, wouldn't even THINK of imposing on her for anything like taking care of my incisions or distracting her with complaints of pain, etc: "Do you need anything?" "Nope. I'm fine." ;)

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Update from the shop today, hopefully we'll see some progress now over the next few weeks:

Update from the machine shop- they are planning to start work on your engine next week! Once I get more updates from them, I will let you know.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
YAY! Nice Thanksgiving present!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Another update from the shop this week:

The machine shop is making progress! The block has been bored (30 over) and we are getting a list together of the parts needed for the machine work.