• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lancia Appia Vignale Convertible

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
There is one of these for sale locally. It is an abandoned project basket case. I have had very little luck finding any information about this car. Can anyone tell about it? Of course this is the BCF, but generally folks here know more about everything than other sources.
Thanks
Steve

Country flag
Yo Doc! This sounds like one for you!! :laugh:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
swift6 said:
Looks like the Triumph Herald's Italian sister.

that would be the prettier sister :whistle:

BlackCat

Freshman Member
Steve,
I never ceased to be amazed at that which turns-up in the vintage car world!

Despite having too many unfinished British car projects, some time back and on the way home from a film, my wife agreed to a short detour for me to look at yet another forlorn car. It was an Appia Vignale convertible, an original California car needing full resto but not fatally rusted, engine apart and in the boot, 99% complete. Covered in leaves and guano and on the forecourt of a repair shop, it was clearly unloved and unwanted, and not selling on its classified ad. But Lancias of that era were built to a very high standard and price, and the car intrigued me. I let it sit with the seller who finally realized I was the only crazy prospect with interest, and I bought the car for $1k. As the other posters noted, Appia's are cool cars but only a viable resto project if the car is structurally sound and complete, and if one does most of the work oneself. For most people they're just too much work, and when done they're too slow to please.

Mine has been in storage since I bought it, waiting until I finish restoring my British fleet. In the meantime, I keep any eye open for any old parts that turn-up, as a car without parts is relatively useless! If you have any info on the basket case for sale in your area, please let me know, as if the car is bad enough and the seller eventually realizes it, that basket case might help put my better car back on the road one day!

Cheers,
Greg