• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting experience

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
another couple hours to fiddle the thing back into the car, Reminded me of the 'old days' when we had to fix our cars to get to work Monday morning. Single-handed, lying on your back, cold, damp, and struggling to get that ONE bolt into a hole buried so deep in the bowels of the engine bay you can either see or touch it, but not both at the same time. Then line up the part to accept the 8" thru bolt. The Braille method of parts installation!

I love working on cars even restoring complete projects but I don't like working and restoring them in the street, at curbside or under any kind of pressure. Therefore many years ago since I had become a prosperous, wage earning member of the community I made a hard rule for myself. It goes like this, " if I have to drive it to work in the morning I'm not working on it tonight." That's why God made professional garagemen.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I like that. I always said I can make it home, but I don't have to go back to work in the morning. Usually applied to bad snow but car breakdowns would be the same.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It is a term you do hear in regular use on British Car forums located in Britain. ie. a britishism

Also standard lingo in American forums having anything to do with machining. (Shop talk, Live Steam, Home Shop Machinist, etc)

Not sure I agree with the "fine chips or filings", since it's quite possible for swarf to be long strings of (usually) tightly curled metal. We had a discussion not too many years ago of a string of swarf finding it's way into a lathe motor and causing a short.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Also standard lingo in American forums having anything to do with machining. (Shop talk, Live Steam, Home Shop Machinist, etc)

Not sure I agree with the "fine chips or filings", since it's quite possible for swarf to be long strings of (usually) tightly curled metal. We had a discussion not too many years ago of a string of swarf finding it's way into a lathe motor and causing a short.

Agree. Depending on the material, swarf comes off in different ways. More malleable materials usually come off in curls, while more brittle stuff will "chunk" off. Metallurgy is COOL! :cool: