• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting experience

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Doc that really sounds like a reasonable rule. I like it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Seems like as the new vehicles come out, repair options become worse, especially after the warranty is over. Since I've owned a lot of Ford trucks over the years, I almost bought a new Ford truck until I found out to pull a head off the engine, the whole cab has to be lifted off the chassis as the firewall protrudes over the back of the engine! If the warranty is over, think of the shop time involved $$$$. I bought a Chevy instead. Only bought it because we wanted more room for the pups. :rolleyes2:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
In other news, had a text from my brother today - his 2013 Sante Fe engine just seized. Looks like there is a lot of issues with the engines still having swarf in them from the manufacturing process. yikes

Swarf? Not sure what that is, but it doesn't sound good. My 07 is coming up on 300k (knock on wood).

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Swarf? Not sure what that is, but it doesn't sound good. My 07 is coming up on 300k (knock on wood).
The engines failed due to metal shavings left behind when the engine was manufactured. This blocked the oil galleries and you can guess what it did to the engine.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
The engines failed due to metal shavings left behind when the engine was manufactured. This blocked the oil galleries and you can guess what it did to the engine.

Well I'll be. I learned a new word. Honestly had never heard that word before. Anytime I've heard people talk about metal filings, they would always call them metal filings. But hey, never to old to learn!

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 7.36.00 AM.jpeg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last year when I was looking for a car I found a fully loaded KIA Optima on a dealership lot. The salesman was in the passenger seat when I started the engine. As soon as it started it made a horrific metal-to-metal sound and I immediately shut it down. I asked the salesman if “the car had oil?”
His response was “they all sound that way when they start”. When I got home I put the vin number in the NHTSB website only to find out that the car was included in the 1.2 million engine recall.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Growing up in the industrial N.E. and having a father who managed a machine shop and the Destructive Testing lab for a large steel company, knowing what swarf is was part of the upbringing.

Dad would tell folks his major product for the company was swarf and scrap. :wink:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yes Tom it was used. Only 17K miles and the price was VERY ATTRACTIVE.
Once I learned why it was so attractive I called the salesman back; he swore he knew nothing about the engine problem. I suggested he find a new line of work.

He probably moved on to a quality control job.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well I'll be. I learned a new word. Honestly had never heard that word before. Anytime I've heard people talk about metal filings, they would always call them metal filings. But hey, never to old to learn!

View attachment 61361

It is a term you do hear in regular use on British Car forums located in Britain. ie. a britishism

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Elliot - was that a *used*Kia?

Cave omnia!

and yet my Kia Soul just keeps on going and is listed as an engine that is good for 250000 miles.

BTW my brother got A 2016 Nissan Rogue - first impressions are very good

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I learned what swarf was when I was about four, my dad had a machinist friend and I remember thinking the curly metal filings that came off when he was cutting were very cool looking so I picked one up off the floor and promptly cut myself. When I showed my finger to my dad he said "why did you pick up the swarf?" I said "what?" and he said "the swarf, the metal filings." It has stuck with me ever since.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I knew before I finished reading that you'd drawn blood, Walt.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We had a hard and fast rule in our shop: If the car is over ten years old, there is no "flat rate" for any job. Pay the hourly or take it elsewhere. Rusted fasteners, bodged work by prior folks, too many variables and no crystal ball to consult.
I am the same, but if it has a computer I don’t want to see it!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yup. Nothing with a brain-box would be admitted.

That explains why I can't get anyone to work on my old 1989 F250 truck - it has an ODB1 brainbox that seems like it has had a partial lobotomy and I have never been able to get it running really well. It runs best now that the check engine light is stuck ON....