• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Inside the car Blind Spot Mirror - MacGyvers back!

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yup, you read that correctly.

Some of us (me included) don't want to attach exterior mirrors on our cars.
Not on the wings, the doors nor using the clamp on the vent window type.

Those of us who drive without exterior mirrors and rely on the dash mirror, have learned how to do it, and most likely have become quite accustomed to it.

For years I've been playing around with small blind spot mirrors. Trying to find good places to attach them inside the car with double sided tape, velcro, magnets, bazooka bubble gum, what ever I have laying around. Problem with the small blind spot mirrors is that they distort the image and distance too much.

Those who follow my posts, know I try to think outside the box, or I MacGyver some way to hide things or make it look clean and simple.

Here's what I came up with.

It's a product from Pilot Automotive, called: The Ultimate blind spot mirror.
According to the directions, it attaches to the windshield or windscreen if your cars British, with double sided tape. Once installed it's adjustable by sliding the arm up and down the notched bracket, plus the shaft rotates and head pivots on a ball end. I tried it and it works great. The mirror has just the right amount of curve so as not to make you nauseous like the little round stick on convex mirrors you tape to the outside mirror. This mirrors distance reflection is about spot on too. It does what it's supposed to do. It shows you cars that are to the side of you, in your blind spot, with the clarity like a side mirror.

I personally don't like things attached to my windscreen and wanted to see if I could attach it somewhere else. What I MacGyvered was actually pretty simple for a BJ8.

I took the unit apart so as to use only the two pieces, the mirror and the stem. I ground a little off the side of the stem edge so I could place it farther down on the edge of the dash top. The bottom of the stem already has a hole where a machine screw was inserted. Great, I'll use the same hole for my sheet metal screw and lock washer. I placed a nut in the stem hole so as not to break the plastic when I tork the screw in.

Then it was just a matter of finding the proper place against the edge of the dash, drill a pilot hole there and screw it in. The mirror and stem are solid and light. One screw holds it in firmly in place; it doesn't vibrate or move. I've been driving with it for a while and it works just fine.

All that being said, this project is a what I'd call a band aid approach. It doesn't perform as an exterior mirror would, yet it does show the blind spot that the exterior mirror misses. If you've learned how to rely on your dash mirror, this will help with your blind spot.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Re: Inside the car Blind Spot Mirror

First photo show the Bristleflex put back in place.

The mirror position is non intrusive in that it alows the vent window to open and is far enough back on the dash that your hands don't come in contact when your holding the steering wheel. The mirror is high enough from the top of the dash that I can still snap the tonneau cover on.

Once the stem is screwed in place it will not move, yet you can easily pop the mirror assmebly off the ball for easy cleaning of the windscreen. Complete removal is as easy as removing the one screw. All good.

MacGyver :driving:

Country flag

Careful with CHP (et al). Cal has REQUIRED driver side mirrors since the early 50's. Right side came a decade or so later. You get a fix-it ticket and fine. Friend of mine got one for a custom car he built. He also had to increase the size of his tale lights.
Your MacGyver looks good. Will it work with the top up?

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

HealeyRick said:
Nice work, Roger. Always great to see how thoroughly you document your innovations.

Hi Rick,
Takes one to know one. I've checked out your link a few times. Your progress is well documented. Nice job!

I believe that if we share what we do, with step by step procedures and some photos, it may help others somewhere down the road.

Thanks for your kind words.
Cheers,
Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

tahoe healey said:
Careful with CHP (et al). Cal has REQUIRED driver side mirrors since the early 50's. Right side came a decade or so later. You get a fix-it ticket and fine. Friend of mine got one for a custom car he built. He also had to increase the size of his tale lights.
Your MacGyver looks good. Will it work with the top up?

Hey TH, Rich

Not so sure about California absolutely requiring a side mirror on these older cars. Maybe it is in print somewhere, but I don't think it's a mandatory enforcement.

Example would be California does not want anything attached to the windshield. But almost everyone has a GPS mounted to the windshield and I don't see the side of the freeway lined up with cops giving tickets out to them. Same goes for no texting nor having a cell phone to your ear, or ear buds in both ears. Do you think they would give you a ticket for this product, for it's suppose to be taped to the windsheild.

I have asked this mirror question to 5 police officers in town and 2 chip officers, when in the Healey. I explained to them the car did not come with external mirrors and it would have been dealer installed if the owner wanted them. None of them said they would give me a ticket. They all said if these older cars came from the factory without mirrors the car would be exempt.

However they informed me that seat belts are mandatory. I don't have to have the combination shoulder lap belt, but I must have a lap belt.

I think it comes down to the attitude of the officer at that given day. I don't see them chasing me down the road to tell me I have to have an outside mirror. And if that day comes and I still have this blind spot mirror installed, I'll ask them if this mirror will satisfy their concern.

The mirror is not affected by the top. The mirror's view is at an angle thru the vent/drivers window. It shows the blind spot that the side mirror misses. So this mirror can help all those with external mirrors too.

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag

You know a lot of cops. When I meet them, they usually are not that talkative and it usually costs me.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

tahoe healey said:
When I meet them, they usually are not that talkative and it usually costs me.

Well, when you...drive it like you stole it...that'll happen :driving:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Interesting, or you could just wear a helmet with a bill mirror mounted on it, like the bike riders have.

:banana: Just kidding of course.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

tahoe healey said:
You know a lot of cops. When I meet them, they usually are not that talkative and it usually costs me.

Yep TH,----Keoke---- :laugh:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

elrey said:
Now instead of having to look at a nice mirror on the outside of your auto you instead have a ghastly piece of plastic right in front of your face. Your car is such a fine piece of work it seems a shame to clutter the inside with something that looks like a cheap prize from a Cracker jack box. It appears to me that for vanities sake you have traded a small blind spot for a larger one.

:lol: Yeah but those Talbot mirrors are so danged expensive.

-------------------------------------------Keoke :driving:

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

elrey said:
Now instead of having to look at a nice mirror on the outside of your auto you instead have a ghastly piece of plastic right in front of your face. Your car is such a fine piece of work it seems a shame to clutter the inside with something that looks like a cheap prize from a Cracker jack box. It appears to me that for vanities sake you have traded a small blind spot for a larger one.

Oh my, you're opinonated aren't you.
I've been a member here a long time and no one appreciates back handed comments from people like you. Shame on you.
Play nice elray...

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

elrey said:
It just struck me funny that someone would go out of his way to eliminate the trouble of this blind spot while neglecting the larger problem that can be addressed by simply adding a mirror on the outside.

Gee whiz elrey, I explained this in full detail.
I'm not going to get into a debate with you over what you think is funny or your other comments.

To all those who read this post, I appologize that his comments seem to get under my skin, for I was simply sharing an idea of something that may help others who choose not to add an outside mirror.

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag

Unfortunately, e-mails don't allow for voice tones and tongue in cheek humor. We just need to be careful and re-read to edit for misinterpretation.
We all agree, "Way to go, Roger!" And thanks for sharing even if it ain't our cup of tea sometimes.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

TH, I agree, nicely said.

Dude according to the number of posts we've made so far, you've posted 1,000 more than me. (What a slacker I am)

I'd bet most of yours are helping fellow Healey owners.

Cheers :cheers:

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Pardon me, I apologize... It was insensitive of me to make such a statement. I know that you work very hard on this car and put your heart into it. --elrey

richberman

Jedi Warrior
Oh boy, first Randy got in trouble with his humor now Elrey is in trouble. It's a really tough crowd!!!
Maybe Elrey needs to post an additional 49 humorous posts to get back on the "good side".
There is that "wink" emoticon you know! :wink:
rich
I hope I don't get in trouble for suggesting that drambuie take his newly tie-dyed Healey to Oregon. :wink:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Loc: Berwyn, PA
Oh boy,
Maybe Elrey needs to post an additional 49 humorous posts to get back on the "good side".

NAA I think these folks need to spend a bit of time on a European forum so they can learn to differentiate between Mischief, malice and humor.===== :laugh: