• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm rich!! Woo hoo!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
All I have to do is send them my personal identifying information!! Wow, what shall I doo with all this new-found wealth?

Screenshot_2023-03-02_at_8_02_13_AM.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What could go wrong? :ROFLMAO:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Some people have all the luck.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Run out NOW and buy that 600mm ∱2.8 whizz-bang $7K R-series lens and charge it on your personal card! You can pay it off as soon as the new ATM card arrives... :ROFLMAO:

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm just laughing at the idea of trying to make a 9 million dollar withdrawal using an ATM card....

Or the time I caught my father just as he was about to try to "bail his step-grandson out of jail" using iTunes gift cards. Really, Dad?? You're a lawyer, for cryin' out loud, you KNOW how bail works! What jurisdiction in the world would even ACCEPT iTunes gift cards, much less DEMAND them??

Country flag
Or the time I caught my father just as he was about to try to "bail his step-grandson out of jail" using iTunes gift cards. Really, Dad?? You're a lawyer, for cryin' out loud, you KNOW how bail works! What jurisdiction in the world would even ACCEPT iTunes gift cards, much less DEMAND them??
That can be an issue as we get older, remembering how things work. Had a great aunt who had been the financial manager for a hospital chain, yet in her final years my cousins had to take away her access to money other than small sums to by gas, groceries and such. Seems she go into the "better safe than sorry" mindset when people went to scam her.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Speaking of scams. Got an email this morning via my contact form from someone claiming to be a representative of some CBD company in the UK. The email claims I have violated their trademark and demanded that I immediately remove all images pertaining to their company. Of course they didn't't say which images were in question.

Of course I did not replay and certainly did not click on any links in this phishing email.

I did a quick search of "Trademark infringement scams" and ran across a forum where several people were discussing having received the exact same email, but the companies that were being claimed for Trademark infringement was completely random, as was the name of the "representative." It's obviously a scam in which the perps use a template and hope some poor schmuck will reply and fall into their trap.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I did a quick search of "Trademark infringement scams" and rad across a forum where several people were discussing having received the exact same email, but the companies that were being claimed for Trademark infringement was completely random, as was the name of the "representative." It's obviously a scam in which the perps use a template and hope some poor schmuck will reply and fall into their trap.
One of the things we do is logo design, trade dress and the like. Durn-near had to become lawyers to be able to weave through the legal ramifications of trademark and copyright infringement. I could see how some folks would fall for the scam.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Early on I worked for a company in Brooklyn. Inside every item they made was an "FG" which was the initials of the company founder. At some point they received a legal letter from Foster Grant (eye glass company) telling them that they must stop using the "FG" initials since this was there trademark.
The company I worked for wrote back and informed Foster Grant that their owner "Ferdinand G" had been using the "FG" since the early 1900's but since the company was going to change their name, Foster Grant could continue to use the "FG" without any recourse from them :LOL:

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Patent trolls, trademark trolls, and copyright trolls. They should all rot.

I work for a catalog retailer, and the number of big corporations (we're talking DuPont) as well as other "non-companies" who have threatened us for using their trademarks is nothing short of infuriating. So why don't they go after the manufacturers whose terms we are simply quoting? Because they know that bigger companies have better lawyers!

In one case, a so-called company claimed to own the term "dry break" and said that if we wanted to keep using their name, we had to carry their products. We immediately replied that we'd be very interested in carrying their products... and we never heard from them again. GEE, I WONDER WHY.

In case anyone else is in the age range to remember the 1997 song "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve, they were sued over it TWICE -- once by the conductor of the orchestra heard in the backing track (despite getting permission from the record label in exchange for royalties), and once by the manager of the Rolling Stones, because the backing track is from an orchestral arrangement of the song "The Last Time". As a result, The Verve got zero royalties on their hit song for 20 years. Every penny went to Jagger, Richards, the orchestra conductor, and the orchestra's record label. The Stones finally (voluntarily) signed over their rights to the song in 2019, 22 years after the song became a hit. Apparently the lawsuit was not their idea in the first place.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
With all that cash coming in can you help me out?
My EBT card has been locked and my credit card has been used at a target store. All I have to do is call a couple of numbers to get all the issues sorted out.

David

Country flag
I miss the days when someone trying to scam you actually had to work at it. Show up at your front door, spend on postage to send something, spend to make long distance calls. Doesn't make it less wrong, but you knew they weren't trying to scam millions around the world with a few keystrokes.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got this scam email a few minutes ago just AFTER I received a text from Xfinity letting me know my auto payment went through.

6EA88F7D-3DFE-4CA6-A1B3-46DABE81676D.jpeg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've had that one too.
Yeah, I gave them your name so they would stop bothering me….. Guess it didn’t work :ROFLMAO: