• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm rich!! Woo hoo!

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I miss the days when someone trying to scam you actually had to work at it. Show up at your front door, spend on postage to send something, spend to make long distance calls. Doesn't make it less wrong, but you knew they weren't trying to scam millions around the world with a few keystrokes.

Unfortunately ALL of those things were in theory trackable and they actually had to commit their crimes in some location with actual enforcement frameworks. Now all the authorities just say "it happened in the internet, its not our problem" so the scammers are effectively guaranteed immunity from any consequence. In my opinion the decision to just officially wash their hands of internet crime in some ways makes the authorities complicit.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Imagine a world where children learn to be critical of what they see and read, and to ask "How do I know this is true?" - instead of just swiping across their screens, hitting Reply, or sharing "stuff" with everyone on their contact list.

Just about everything digital is trackable. But with bazillions of digital scam attempts, with no cost to the scammer, the number grows logarithmically, and there's never enough people to do the tracking. Charge one cent for each email sent - cut way down on the digital problem.

DigitalMan.gif

Country flag
It'll get even worse as the deepfake technology gets to the point you can make anyone look like they've done/said anything. Even with the "watermarking" supposedly being developed to prove what's authentic, there will be those who figure out how to fake it. I rely so much on what I've learned over the pre internet years from reading history and using multiple sources and opinions to form my own. My dad who was an attorney and prosecutor would expect my brothers and I to utilize critical thinking.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Imagine a world where children learn to be critical of what they see and read, and to ask "How do I know this is true?" - instead of just swiping across their screens, hitting Reply, or sharing "stuff" with everyone on their contact list.
Imagine a world where adults did too. :rolleyes2:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm rich too!!!! This is too good to pass up, but I will 🤣
By the way, the last sentence states that this is "confidential" so mums the word. 🤫

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.39.40 PM.png

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Just about everything digital is trackable. But with bazillions of digital scam attempts, with no cost to the scammer, the number grows logarithmically, and there's never enough people to do the tracking. Charge one cent for each email sent - cut way down on the digital problem.

View attachment 86625

Whatever happened to "Question Everything"?