• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT I want this 67 GT.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rick,

Sorry to hear it,but it's probably also a relief.
I hate it when people play games like that.

- Doug

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
The best part of the day was spending it with a fellow MG car club member. I'm so glad Ted called and asked to tag along.
He visits here, but hasn't posted yet.

Thanks for that info Tony.

I will respond to Jerry, but I'm waiting until I can do it without emotional content.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
OK, how's this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Hi Jerry,

I've done a bit of research on the identification numbers for the car I saw today.

Your car is a 1968 MGB-GT.

I came down and looked at the car today because of this message you sent me:

"On Jan 27, 2008 4:44 PM, jerry adams <jerrychopped30yahoo.com> wrote:"
"hello, i would rather sell it whole, and i would want 500.00 as that is what i payed for the tires alone. let me know if you are interested, asap, as i would rather sell it whole. thanks, jerry"

So you will understand why I concluded quickly and left after you said $1200.00 today.

I wish you the very best in all your endeavors,

Rick Bastedo
[/QUOTE]

Steve_S

Yoda
Sounds pretty civil and to the point. Still, sometimes it's best to wait a couple days before responding so you're sure about what you want to say, if anything at all. You may decide you would be happier just leaving the issue in the past.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Yeah, I agree Steve.
But I sent it. I had a long drive home to think about it.
It gets to the point. I now know to avoid any future ad by the same seller. It felt like buying an organ on the black market.
Sure you need it, but at what cost?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Well here is his response. At least it's an excuse of sorts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] hello rick , i must say i'm sorry, as the message that i sent you about 500.00 was on a mustang that i'm selling, i must have mixed the email up, once again, sorry. regards, jerry [/QUOTE]

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RickB said:
Well here is his response. At least it's an excuse of sorts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] hello rick , i must say i'm sorry, as the message that i sent you about 500.00 was on a mustang that i'm selling, i must have mixed the email up, once again, sorry. regards, jerry
[/QUOTE]
hehehehe...tell him you'll take the Mustang!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Beat. I was hoping for a happy ending but I guess it is in some sort of way.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I'm going to keep looking for a good deal on a 67.
Meanwhile my other cars need some quality care, so I'll focus on them. Maybe I can collect a few more parts for the C.
The B needs a lot of stuff for its body, the new windshield needs to get installed, etc etc etc...

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, at this point it ain't a $1200 piece. Mebbe if he keeps it another decade... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Sounds like the rust is like the Red 67 I just picked up but no OD and wernt no 12hunderdollas neathua!

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Rick
I've dealt with him before. Does not describe things well and is one of those who thinks everything he has is worth more than it is. Seemed to leave details (not as bad as yours) out of emails and gouges on shipping. Got some Gt door vent windows form him described as in excellent condition. one arrived without a handle and needing complete overhaul, which I expected. Jerry said he would send me another handle. that was a year and a half ago.
Oh well lessons learned
Sorry but at least you were smart enough to walk away.
Mike

howzat

Freshman Member
Hi Rick & other posters,

Well this is Ted & I'm the guy who accompanied Rick down to see the car on Sunday. I was keen to see what this seller had as it sounded like he had loads of various MGs and I might be able to find some spare parts. I had been looking for a GT for ever & had recently purchased one but need spares. I talked to Rick on the phone a couple of times & once he mentioned that this seller had an Opel GT as well. That reminded me that when I went to see a B a couple of years ago in the area, I vaguely remembered an Opel there too. Anyway I never thought much more about it until we got a few miles away and I recognized the freeway exit Rick was taking and I 'knew' the way from there. When I was there a couple of years ago, there was snow everywhere and I didn't know about all the cars in the woods. On Sunday we saw BGTs, Opels and things all over the place. Rick was dissapointed that the car he had come to look at was not a metal dash car and had more rust than described. Unfortunately the price was considerably more than had been discussed as well. You can compromise over one or two things but the combination of all of these meant the car was not a deal worth pursuing. For a project, pillow dash car with o/d it would be a reasonable deal if he had stuck to the original price quoted. Otherwise, the seller seemed friendly enough. Unfortunately the cars are likely to continue rusting away for a while.

On another note, I just returned from helping a friend sell has MGA t/c - he was paid $20,000 - in cash!!!

Cheers,
Ted

howzat

Freshman Member
The MGA had a rotary engine in it. The original twin cam engine was long gone. An extra twin cam engine & gearbox was included though. He was going to restore it completely but got another one that was already completely restored & decided to sell the project.

Ted

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Wow Ted, sounds like fun!

I'm glad to see you posting here, thanks for your thoughts above.

You are, of course - 'spot on'!