• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT I want this 67 GT.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Tony,
Yes - I have morning and night pills too. Every Morning, every night. But I miss them when I "miss them".

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I'm all set for a trip tomorrow to look at the car.

I'm planning to check for rust that he hasn't mentioned.
I asked him, he said the floors are solid and the only rust is on the right front lower fender.

He also has GT fenders he will sell me, I don't know how much he will want for them.

I plan to try and turn it over either by hand or by jumper cable, so I'll have a bag of tools with me. If it's seized I'm going to pass - I don't have the facilities for much else right now. If it had two perfect front fenders then I could use it as a parts car for my C - But it doesn't.

If it turns over and seems to be something I can turn into a driver then it's coming home.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Even seized, take it, pull the trans and junk it if you do not have the means to keep the whole thing until you can pull all the parts off. Take a camera and snap about 100 pics, holding your hand under all areas and just start snapping. You'll be surprised at how much you see from the pics either bad or good.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I hear you, loud & clear.
I wish I had that 14 car garage right now.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rick,

Let me know if you pass on it.

- Doug

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Cool - /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif

I got a call from a fellow member of the NW MG Car Club who wants to come along.
He must lurk here, I will of course encourage him to post! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Seized engine is the last reason to pass that car by!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I hear you Tony.
I just don't have the facility to tear down an engine here.
Suppose I could move the C out onto the grass & put this one in under shelter. I'll have to think about this.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I just don't have the facility to tear down an engine here.[/QUOTE]
....a 4'x4' section of a garage large enough to hold an engine stand!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Yes, I could swing that... Just gotta watch out for the "Might as wells"!!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Might as well BUY IT! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
It's all the "Might as wells" that come after buying it that are the scary parts. Just buying it is easy!

Taking the sage advice here I'll go ahead and get it unless its a total rust bucket. It doesn't look like one from the picture, but you just don't know until you go see it.

The owner understands I'm coming to look and if I don't like it I'll politely ask him what else he's got.

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
This has been a great thread. I'm waiting with bated breath for tomorrow's report! Good luck, Rick!

Adam

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Sorry to leave y'all in the lurch...

I started out at 9:40AM - drove the 70 BGT down to the south of Olympia where I picked up felloe NW MG Club member Ted.

We continued on down I-5 to Winlock (south of Chehalis).

As we got closer Ted remembered more and more and finally recalled that he had gone to visit the same seller about an MG two years earlier.

We arrived and met the seller and saw the car. My first impression was that it was a lot rustier than what I expected. I asked if I could see what else he had.

He had a couple new shops, one 25 x 50 and the other much larger, mostly filled with his Opal GT's and chopped Model A work. Most of the MG's were outside in the rain.

Looking under the hoods of any of them everything was wet and rusting. You would think that at least under the hood it would be dry.

He seemed to prize every one as though it were some kind of treasure, no matter how junked it appeared.

It came down to the time to ask the "final question" which for me was -
"Ok, how much bottom line to deliver this car to my house?"

The answer knocked me back.

He said he would trailer it up to my house for $150.
So, $1200 for the car and $150 for delivery comes to $1350.

I was shocked. The car seems to have some unique qualities, but there's more bad than good. The only real good is that it indeed does have an OD transmission. I asked him to show me, he jacked it up so I could see it.

It's got cancer on the bottoms of the doors, the bottoms of the fenders and the floors behind the seats, as well as around the trim and the bottom of the hatch. It has damage to the rear where it was either lightly hit or backed into something. The engine bay is rusty, shows much neglect.

He couldn't substantiate that it was a 67. He has no paperwork, no title and would only give a bill of sale.

It has a pillow dash, a bullet fender mirror and he sold the steering wheel.

The interior was once very striking, white carpet with red trim & red leather seats. Guess what the water damage has done to all of that?

Here's a quote from his email to me:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
On Jan 27, 2008 4:44 PM, jerry adams <jerrychopped30@yahoo.com> wrote:

hello, i would rather sell it whole, and i would want 500.00 as that is what i payed for the tires alone. let me know if you are interested, asap, as i would rather sell it whole. thanks, jerry [/QUOTE]

We had many more emails and phone calls after that.
Of course I have the entire email thread saved.

The whole day would have been so very bad except that Ted had called and asked if he could accompany me. At least I had some camaraderie on the drive.
This was an MG holocaust - the place was a camp.

Here's the weird stuff about the car:
It's painted a light beige color, same color under the hood and in the trunk.
Its got a pillow dash, not metal.
No plate inside the drivers side door jamb showing month and year of build.

Oh, it has an alternator & screw on oil filter & the sticker that says "Negative Earth".

Here are the codes I jotted down:

On the inside drivers side fender front:
GBUD 503590

Car No.
GHD4U 152433

Commission (looks like)
G23D 005305 P

After he said $1350 I politely shook his hand and left.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
GHD4U 152433

You did right...but, I'd send him copies of all the emails just to let him know what type b...... he was for wasting your day along with expenses!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
heh, no title, nothing to show it's actually a 67?
Pillow dash, the only thing salvageable at all (maybe, if it isn't crap) is the OD transmission.
Go ahead & run, seems like a 69 to me.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
158231 was first '69 MGB GT.

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Boy, I can relate! I used to actively collect old Boy Scout patches and stuff. I'd track down old-timers and see what they had in their attics and closets. So often, it was the same story: "Oh I have this great stuff and you can have it!" but the reality was that I would drive to heck-and-gone and find a pile of junk or they would keep stalling until it was clear that they were just jerking my chain.

I friend of mine put it succinctly: "You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a princess (or prince)."

Sorry about your frog!