• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A I may have found a TR3....but I want your advice

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
With the help of some folks here, I have found a TR3 I am seriously considering buying.

It is a 1959 3A. The history is a resurrection from the dead about 20 years ago. It appears to be a solid driving car that has many miles on it and seems strong.

It is not a stock color (opalescence white) and it is certainly not a show car....but the body seems good and I may be able to return it to it's original color and interior someday....

I would really like your opinion on the condition and price of the car.

I have compiled the pictures here: 1959 TR3A

I would welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas on the value....and what questions I may need to explore as I look to purchase the vehicle.

Thanks!

Randy

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Panel gaps look a LOT better on this one! Has non-standard gauges, also looks to have a Magyvered brake reservoir, but all of that can be changed or ignored and overall this one looks nice!

I think its worth what you are willing to pay for it!

Randy

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, the gauges are not stock, but the cutouts are and he has the original gauges....so I can swap those in (first thing I do).

The brakes look non stock as well and I'll get that corrected.

the body panels do seem better than most I have looked at....but the doors do not line up very well once fully closed....is that a concern?

I have not seen the car yet....just these images.

Thanks for the input!

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Very nice from what I can see in the photos.

FWIW -- the badging on the front (red & black - pre-41874) suggest it may have been build earlier than 1959 but the occasional seat appears to be the post-60000 style. No big deal, just commenting on what I see.

A great thing about an older restoration (vs a recent respray) is you can see how any body work is holding up.

The panel fit is exceptional... not just the doors but the front edge of the bonnet and the spare tire compartment lid which are 2 places that often let a TR3A down. The wing beading also looks really tight.

Someone appears to have taken a lot of care in the restoration & in the upkeep too if that is a 20-year-old resto.

Hard to comment on price/value (for the difference consult Oscar Wilde) as I do not closely track the market but I assume they are asking somewhere north of $20K.

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think this car has some pieces form different eras. The S/N puts it a solid 1959. I missed the badge....but that is not correct. From what I gathered it was truly a resurrection process from boxes and I suspect the VIN tag is the only real remaining original piece on the car.

I do not know much about the seat options for the rear short of the fact that I want one so I can toss in the kids when we run to the ice cream shop down the road :smile:

We agreed on a price and barring work schedule complications I should have this in the garage next week Saturday evening.

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Sorry, I was away from the forum for a few minutes... was checking on the next flight to Green Bay.

No flights heading this way until Sunday I am afraid :wink:

Stay away from my car! I have been looking for a TR3 for over two years! I just got the VIN and added it to the insurance policy....

Seriously, thanks for the input and guidance as this car is far from a show car at the moment....but I would like to get it back to original as I work through it and having input from folks like you is priceless.

If you see oddities, let me know please.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You definitely have to see it in person. A clever photographer can hide a lot of flaws.
It LOOKS like it might have Overdrive; that's a plus. If it does, make sure it works; if it doesn't it could be a very expensive fix. A compression test would tell you how strong the engine really is.(Do a wet AND dry test if you can get away with it) The test drive will give you a feel for the condition of the wire wheels, front suspension & steering. Also listen for differential whine (Not good!) Transmission condition is hard to diagnose on a test drive unless there is something seriously wrong (popping out of gear, won't go into a specific gear etc.) Best case is find a LBC mechanic in the area that will help you look it over. (And not the owner's brother-in-law!!) Good luck & keep us posted. FRank

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy
I don't think you will have to worry about someone flying to GB, but Columbus Ohio might be a problem (real estate sign phone #). :devilgrin: The only thing I could add is look at the boot lid. It seems to have some waves looking at it from underneath.

Paul

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
apbos said:
Randy
I don't think you will have to worry about someone flying to GB, but Columbus Ohio might be a problem (real estate sign phone #). :devilgrin: The only thing I could add is look at the boot lid. It seems to have some waves looking at it from underneath.

Paul

Columbus, OH? What are you talking about? That for sale sign clearly shows 920 area code....perhaps you need to re-fresh your browser..... :smile:

There are some pain chips in the rear that worry me. The doors don't line up that well and the passenger door looks like it has a pretty good size depression in it.

Hadn't noticed the trunk issue.... I'll go take another look at the full resolution picture.

Thanks!

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You may not be looking for a show car...but remember the body
work is usually the most expensive part of the car. Gil

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Roger that. I have seen some very nice mechanically running cars that are just rust buckets. They were cheap....but body repair is not my thing. Tranny, rear end, engine....I can manage may way around the mechanicals.

I changed my objective about a year ago looking for the soundest body car I could find for the money and decided to deal with the drive train & suspension issues as they arise.

This looks like it should do the trick. Saturday seems so far away......

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Re: I may have found a TR3....but I want your advi

Randy - as the other folks have said, the pictures do indeed look good. But I'd also go along with the "don't fork over the cash until you've driven it" suggestions. Unless money and time are no worries for you.

Certainly could be a gem, but unless you know the condition of the frame, engine, transmission, etc., you don't know how much labor/money lies ahead.

Maybe take a local TR owner with you when you check it out?

Tom
PS - might also check the engine number as well as the commission number, to see if they're anywhere close. And I agree, it's an "unusual" brake/clutch fluid reservoir.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

Random thoughts:

Overall, it looks pretty nice. I wouldn't have chosen either paint or interior color (mostly because I'm a purist :wink: ), but it pretty much "works" on this car.

I'm a bit puzzled by the seemingly drastic LACK of paint on the head (maybe on the whole engine)? Not a big deal, but....

Notice how the two body plates are a: both natural (one should be painted) and b: side-by-side instead of one above the other?

From a totally personal viewpoint:

If I liked this car enough to buy it (and thought the price was fair), I'd get it...and leave it the way it is. Although it's not to original, the only place that will ever "cost" you significantly is in stock class at a VTR or TRA meet. Otherwise, I think it "shows" very nicely. My real point is that this is NOT the car I'd buy to eventually "return to original"; I suspect there are still more than a few solid, unrestored drivers where such money might be better spent.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior

I love the look of the white with cream interior. Everyone of the pictures look nice to me. I'm not a purist really at all, so I don't mind the changes. These changes probably function the same, if not better, than the original. I would buy it if the price wasn't over inflated, and I assume its not.

So, when can we all issue you a big congratulations on your new LBC?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

That exterior color doesn't look all that non-stock to me, as there were a few white variations over the years - for me its value would need to be based on close inspection of the body. I perhaps disagree slightly with Andy on this versus an unrestored driver car - if the body is good here I think you certainly could take it back to even more stock condition over time. And an unrestored driver with an excellent body is not that easy to come by - over 50 years it is likely someone has either fiddled with it or taken it to Earl Scheib.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight

It looks lovely in the pictures. A few items seem to be non-standard, but as long as it works ...
I would like to see some pictures of the underside.
It is very WHITE!

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag

pjsmetana said:
So, when can we all issue you a big congratulations on your new LBC?

Saturday... I pick it up at 8:00.

It is not stock nor completely original, but it looks to be in excellent condition. A baseline I can work with.

I am a very stable, quite & conservative guy...takes a lot to get me moved or excited....I am positively thrilled. It is more of an adoption than a purchase.

I feel like a kid at Christmas....Saturday will be a blast.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Nice looking car, best of luck with it!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag

You're gonna have fun! :driving: :cheers: