GBRandy said:
So....to the question I originally posted and prior to the interesting reactions I got....at what point does the car stop becoming a Triumph?
What's in a name? That which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet.
I don't think there is a clear line, but a wide spectrum. One end has a pristine TR2, correct in every detail (including the horrible colors) but with modern fuel in the petrol tank. (NOS petrol is SO hard to find!)
At the other end is a Spitfire body shell, resting on a tubular space frame carrying a blown 426 Hemi.
Somewhere in the middle, there is a TR3A with a TR8 drivetrain (that I'd love to buy but the owner keeps backing out).
All are interesting cars, worthy of judgment on their own merit, IMO.
In other words, it's your car, it should please you. And if you want to call it a (modified) Triumph, that's your choice too.
PS, in the cited Ferrari case, as long as the car was advertised as a converted coupe, I don't see a problem. If it was advertised as a Spider, though, that is fraud and someone should have gone to jail.