• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

HOW do I get this thing apart?

People tend not to take me seriously Doc. I'm throwing supper together, regrouping, and after olwhatshisname leaves again, I'll go back out there. He thinks I'm stupid and don't know anything also when it comes to cars.

I'll tackle it after supper and a cuppa.

'k... I'll keep checkin' back. This ain't gonna get ya.

Pull the dust cap off. There is a hole in the hub where you have to drop a pair of thin needle nose pliers through to pull the cotter pin out. Also, you will need those pliers to straighten the pin before pulling it out.

Unscrew the castle nut (1 1/8"??) Then pull the rotor and splined hub off the swivel axle!!

Then you can separate the hub from the rotor.

these002.jpg

Janel - (& what I'm about to say, I'm saying in a loving, positive way)....before you take anything else apart, go buy a Bentley manual & read the procedure

...you've taken it apart in the wrong order & now its going to be harder than if you did it correctly the first time

...before you can go any farther, you've got to get that stub axle off the hub - take the "spinner" off & then remove the dust cap that's under it...align the hole in the hub with the cotter pin way down inside under the dust cap & remove the cotter pin....loosen & remove the castle nut holding the hub to the stub axle - remove the stub axle from the rear...be real careful you don't loose anything...there's washers & shims inside it that you'll need to rebuild it

....then you can take the rotor off the hub...you'll need an air wrench & an open-end wrench as the whole bolt/nut will turn as it loosens

...remember: Bently manual (you'll need the green one)

Tony, and I'm saying this in the most loving, postive way I can...
(because I'm ready to bite the head off a rattlesnake)

I HAVEN'T taken it apart yet. I can't GET it apart.
I had the bloody Bentley (the GREEN one) in front of me all day. And the Haynes. And the VB and Moss catalogs with exploded pictures.

I've had the spinner off. And the 4 nuts on each assembly. I can't get beyond that. The freaking dust cover won't come out/off so I can get to the hub nut and cotter pin.

bugger.jpg

Okay - I'm going to give away a factory secret....go to the rear of the engine - passenger side...there's 1 head stud that has a nut that's about 3" long...the end of the bolt that's not attached to the head stud has a small threaded hole in it....that small threaded hole fits the stud on the dust cap....

What I've done is take an extra head stud & welded a flat piece of metal on the end that goes into the head...then, I screwed that long bolt down on it & - VOILA - dust cap wrench!

If you can't find the bolt off Binabox - the one on Emma will work...just grab one of your loose head studs & thread the long bolt onto it

This too shall pass...

ViseGrips!

Doc - you posted before I got finished...& I must've owned one of your ex-MG's because I've come across the vise grip trick!

I got the bugger off. Put it on the floor, stood on the rotor and got really p!ssed off and yanked.

wallah003.jpg

Bad Karma.... I said "in a pinch!" and I've rethreaded any one of those I'd buggered.... and have a tool for the task as well. Just hard to pass it thru the innernet, y'see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

That works also - what'd you use to pull it with? Did you damage the threads on the stud?

Now, align the end of the cotter pin with the hole in the hub - straighten the open ends of the cotter & use a cotter pin puller to pull it through the hole in the hub

I don't need no stinkin' vise grips.

wallah.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!

"Pittsburgh Forge"!!!

Of course I didn't damage the threads.

I have no idea what a cotter pin puller is, but I have my trusty needle-nosed pliers.

Tony, Doc, hang loose, I got this bugger beat!

Oh, jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Told ya so.

[ QUOTE ]
That works also - what'd you use to pull it with? Did you damage the threads on the stud?

Now, align the end of the cotter pin with the hole in the hub - straighten the open ends of the cotter & use a cotter pin puller to pull it through the hole in the hub

[/ QUOTE ]

Them "snipe-nosed gits" (needle nosed pliers) will work to straighten the pin and "finesse" it outta the hole. Easier than a Chinese wood block puzzle, fer sure.

Okay - as you loosen & remove the castle nut....be careful...don't loose the shims that are back there...& remember the order in which everything comes off...you'll need those shims again later when you put it back together

Got the pin out, the nuts and washers are off.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's a big dang nut in there.

Shouldn't be too tight tho. If you've no socket large enuff, the PLIERS may work... and use that prybar as a leverage tool between the handles.