• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Heater / Air box drain

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
I was looking for the drain in the air box, located behind the dashboard, because I thought there must be one, but I could not find one no matter how hard I looked. I looked on line and found some great photos from a guy in UK showing where it should be (attached photos). I finally found the problem, mine was completely full of sand and dust, like concrete, from apparently being driven in Arizona. The dust had completely filled the pipe and opening so it looked like one had never existed! Using coat hangers and drill bits now to clean it out. Good lesson and I will work to keep this open at all times.

Attachments

• drain003.jpg
    drain003.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Bottom of drain.jpg
    Bottom of drain.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 113

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The duck tail will collect dirt also if the car is in dusty conditions and where small tree foliage can fall into the air vent, once it does, the tube will clog up again. I removed the duct tail for a clean passage in the tube. The duck tail is only needed if it's a concurs car and a judge want's to crawl underneath. :highly_amused: PJ

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
During my investigation online I found a lot of debate about keeping the bob or duck tail on the end or taking it off. Some said it was necessary to keep out fumes. Mine is coming off as well, I would rather have a free flow than take a chance!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I use a piece of bicycle innertube at the end of a hose for the "ducktail."

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
Once I cleaned out the "concrete" from the drain it worked great. Several large glasses of water poured through a funnel went right on out. No wonder the floor was so soaked when I drove all day in a rainstorm!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Once I cleaned out the "concrete" from the drain it worked great. Several large glasses of water poured through a funnel went right on out. No wonder the floor was so soaked when I drove all day in a rainstorm!

Agreed, water will run out if the tube is clean. But if the car is exposed to dust, dirt and debris from trees, the tube can clog with the bulb/duck tail in place and cause problems later. I never heard of anyone smelling fumes coming from the heater because the duck tail was removed. If that were the case, there are other problems present. PJ

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I wish I could have my problems sorted out to details like this. It would make no difference with or with out it in my mess. My exhaust manifold pours fumes. you climb out of the car smelling like you have been on a snowmobile for a day. Then again it probably wouldn't hurt to clear that drain out

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I wish I could have my problems sorted out to details like this. It would make no difference with or with out it in my mess. My exhaust manifold pours fumes. you climb out of the car smelling like you have been on a snowmobile for a day. Then again it probably wouldn't hurt to clear that drain out

I hear you -- but then, my car is currently in boxes on the shelf so I'm a long way from fixing the little details. :smile:

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
Drew, you would be proud. You posted a pic some time ago with the "bankers boxes" neatly stacked in your garage. I went to Walmart and bought a pack of 10 for $13 and now I have my own collection of parts in boxes! Really helps with the space...great idea!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Those boxes are cheap and they work -- or at least they look neater on the shelf! We'll see how organized I really am when it comes time to start putting parts back on the car. :smile:

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
I know what you mean, I didn't waste much time filling them....believe I will find out that I should have spent more time documenting!!

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Im a step behind both of you. Mine is still parked across country and Im just starting to work with a transport company. But believe you me, during my first ever open motor that air box drain is getting a good scrubbing!:encouragement:

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
Will, I remember your engine giving out on you, did you find a low cost transporter? I found several at around $850 from AZ to NC. And good luck on the move then the fun really begins!

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Im frustrated a bit going through different companies, cheapest i can find is 1300 with one named 5 diamond auto. I just cant seem to find many reviews on them. the price jumps up from there, bummer as it has taken this long just to get 1300 saved up. I live in a bit of a rural place in south east idaho so its a bit more to get it here.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Take a look at uship.com as well. It's a brokerage site where you can bid out your job. Used it to get a motorcycle from TN to UT a couple years ago, worked well. You'll get large companies bidding as well as guy-with-a-truck.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks drew ill look them up now. Im a fan of little guys and small business for the most part but cash talks and i just want to get started.

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
Will I am looking at a job in Jerome, ID. I currently live in North Carolina and Jerome looks fantastic for scenery. You will have to let me know what to expect for year around weather.. I am currently looking for a new (new to me) truck and was wondering if I should consider 4WD if I moved to ID. I don't need it here but think there are many off road situations there? The 4WD would be a good contrast to a LBC!

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Its a lot less mild then the north east, It will snow and people will some how forget how to drive overnight when it does. This year i only remember one white out on the road and that only lasted about a half hr. The snow is drier then Im used to making it easier to get through. It can get cold. Wide open spaces makes for wind. Im a bit north east of where your looking in a place called Rexburg. We lovingly call It Iceburg. Unless you are going off the main roads 4WD wouldn't be needed remembering that it does not make you invincible it just gets you through where 2WD may not. Though you go through with a heavier weight helping those SUV racing around snow plows at full highway speeds lose control. Makes me laugh. If you remember the tires i put on my B were snow and ice and I tried a cross country. Admittedly that did not end well.:beaten: Though there is a lot of fun dirt roads that 4WD makes accessible in both winter and summer. It is very pretty to get lost in. Different then the east, i had to learn to see the beauty in it. I made it around fine last time I was out here in studded tires on a mid 90s civic hatchback. Stuck to the streets better then most... i might have taken it in to the sage brush once or twice to show I could keep up with the trucks out here. Its like the greasers vs the jocks with the trucks and the small cars. little guys get hated on. Even had it in the air side ways at 50mph. Im sold on those things. All in all Im saying take the job. MOve to the mountain states. When you get here and our LBCs are running well we can shoot down to Utah and have a LBC canyon weekend

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I made it around fine last time I was out here in studded tires on a mid 90s civic hatchback. [... ] When you get here and our LBCs are running well we can shoot down to Utah and have a LBC canyon weekend

I've spent most of my time in Utah driving small FWD hatchbacks, with snow tires for winter use. Hard to beat -- though I admit I did just buy a Jeep, more because it's fun. :smile:

And if you do make it down to UT for some canyon running, let me know. I'll join in with whatever I have running at the time.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Great mpg and a whole lot of room in those. You can have a lot more fun in a jeep just cant afford one yet. first a well running lbc and a cruiser small gas sipper as i have now sold mine then ill look for a fun jeep. well theres the rifles i "need" the camping gear im way behind on acquiring. The list gets bigger every day. Have no doubt I will be wanting to met up, i still need to see a bug eye up close