• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Groaners - post yours here

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I used a Pacesetter computerized photo typesetting machine…. No lead!
I bet very few people know what bell codes or kerning is.
Ok - I am pretty sure I know what both of them are :cool:
Kerning is simple - the adjustment of spacing between letters to make printing look good.
Bell codes (I think I am correct here) Dr Google wasn't much of a help in confirming what I think - the control codes used for most of the formatting information and probably called based on the actual bells which from telegraph days? The old teletype printing terminal at my fathers office in the university (my first hands on computer experience around 1980? ) had a literal bell in it which could be rung by the program to get the operators attention.
I remember as a kid being taken on a school field trip to see the local newspaper and their printing operation. Photo reproduction of the paper onto copper plates and then the huge printing press shooting out folded newspapers. As a kid with a fascination for anything mechanical I could have watched for hours. Probably 29 other kids + 1 teacher bored out of their minds!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ok - I am pretty sure I know what both of them are :cool:
Kerning is simple - the adjustment of spacing between letters to make printing look good.
Bell codes (I think I am correct here) Dr Google wasn't much of a help in confirming what I think - the control codes used for most of the formatting information and probably called based on the actual bells which from telegraph days? The old teletype printing terminal at my fathers office in the university (my first hands on computer experience around 1980? ) had a literal bell in it which could be rung by the program to get the operators attention.
I remember as a kid being taken on a school field trip to see the local newspaper and their printing operation. Photo reproduction of the paper onto copper plates and then the huge printing press shooting out folded newspapers. As a kid with a fascination for anything mechanical I could have watched for hours. Probably 29 other kids + 1 teacher bored out of their minds!
Your bell code explanation is spot on…. Ding, ding!
The computer code we used to input to the typesetter was always preceded by a bell code which contained the info for font, point size, line length, leading, and character spacing.
The bell code command on the screen was a holdover from when an actual bell was rung alerting the operator to make a change.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Started my "career" as a newspaper photog, local hometown rag. Photo department also made the plates. Line-O-Type in the press room. That was about 1967. I can still conjure up the smell of ink and newsprint.

In the early '90's we decided to publish a monthly 16-page tab-sized paper, did it here in the hovel. Made a "darkroom" in a spare bedroom, and with 486/66 computers I'd built and what was kick-butt software at the time (Corel and Adobe). Did the paste-up "plates" on boards with a $canner, printer, Exact-o-Knives and rubber cement! Had it printed by a local firm. No bell codes but kerning was easily handled by the warez.

"You've come a long way, Baby!"

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
ASCII forever!

bell-ascii-code-7.gif

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Started my "career" as a newspaper photog, local hometown rag. Photo department also made the plates. Line-O-Type in the press room. That was about 1967. I can still conjure up the smell of ink and newsprint.

In the early '90's we decided to publish a monthly 16-page tab-sized paper, did it here in the hovel. Made a "darkroom" in a spare bedroom, and with 486/66 computers I'd built and what was kick-butt software at the time (Corel and Adobe). Did the paste-up "plates" on boards with a $canner, printer, Exact-o-Knives and rubber cement! Had it printed by a local firm. No bell codes but kerning was easily handled by the warez.

"You've come a long way, Baby!"
Rubber cement?… I used wax so layouts could be repositioned. Also had a darkroom with large format vertical Nu-Arc camera.
An art that became a science.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rubber cement?… I used wax so layouts could be repositioned. Also had a darkroom with large format vertical Nu-Arc camera.
I lied... Glue sticks, repositionable. :sleep:

Been a while. My excuse: I'm OLD.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I still have a Daige Speed Wax Coater.
Don't use it but if I was still doing graphic arts that's what I would use.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I still have a Daige Speed Wax Coater.
Don't use it but if I was still doing graphic arts that's what I would use.
With a 16-page layout once a month, those sticks were about all we needed. ISTR they were a 3M product.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And why did Mrs. Howell bring so many clothes?