• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Getting cool air into the footwells

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
Anybody have some good ideas apart from power sapping aircon?

Cheers,

Ian

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
Ian

I believe Cape do an uprated fan kit ref kfk2, I believe it uses a 4" inline fan that goes in the duct, you will need to check with Steve, otherwise why not double up and get a modern 12v 4" fan.

andy

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Hi Ian,

Before my current mods, I had a duct from the radiator support into each footwell.

Image26.jpg

Image31.jpg

Airflow was controlled by a small pull-knob on the outer corner of the dash connected to a butterfly valve.

Dash.JPG

NOW, I have Air Conditioning with a valved duct that dumps cool air into each footwell.

Tim

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Tim,
No Demisters?
Heater?

"NOW, I have Air Conditioning with a valved duct that dumps cool air into each footwell."
You installed an actual air conditioning unit?
Must be nice :cooler:

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ian, the a/c takes a few hp when on... but I doubt that there is much parasitic loss when it's off. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Steve

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Hi Roger,

AUSMHLY said:
No Demisters? Heater? You installed an actual air conditioning unit?

Since I installed the Ford V8 in 1976, I have not had a heater nor demisters (NOR a top, but that's another story....).

Remember, I have a Healey, I have a V8, and I'm in Texas. ALL 3 of those conditions make a heater unnecessary.

Yes, I have installed an actual A/C unit (not just open windows). When you have 300 HP, you can spare a few to be COOL ! It even has a built-in heater, although it'll probably never be used.

It hangs from the cowl webbing, between the back of the instrument panel and the firewall.

AUSMHLY said:
Must be nice

Not finished modding yet, but I'll let you know.

Tim

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
HealeyPassion said:
Ian, the a/c takes a few hp when on... but I doubt that there is much parasitic loss when it's off. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Steve
My AC when ON is barely noticeable. The Factory AC and it's York compressor was another story but the rotary fits and operates real smoooooooth. I suppose I could wire the throttle and AC through the OD throttle switch to kick off under full throttle(with a time delay for reconnecting), but the 5 speed took care of that mod. A fast idle solenoid is now needed so I'm reseraching that.
Patrick

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ian I've ran an air duct directly from my rally vent to the footwell of my vintage racer. The only problem is if I don't cover it while competing in the rain.

Dougie

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dougie--

How do you fill those reservoirs?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Michael - They're not quite as tight as they look. Given the fact I usually overflow my morning coffee (my wife always lets me know) I do pretty good topping off the reservoirs.

Dougie

OP
Frankenhealey

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
Steve,
No room for an A/C compressor under hood so Ive had to rule that out in the past.

Tim, Dougie,

I want to draw cool air into the footwells and exhaust it from there. If I blow cool air into the footwells I'm going to get all the warm air around my face. I like Tim's pictures of the footboxes with the piping so may put a couple of inline 12V fans there and exhaust out of the wing vents.

Thanks for all the sage advice.

Cheers,

Ian

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"Given the fact I usually overflow my morning coffee (my wife always lets me know)"
------------------
Well my wife always lets me know that I can't hit the toilet while standing up and thinks it reasonable that I be required to pee from a sitting position. I tell her she is simply jealous that I have options but that never seems to get much of a laugh.

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Frankenhealey said:
If I blow cool air into the footwells I'm going to get all the warm air around my face.

No matter WHAT you do, you are going to get the footwell air in your face.

Air ALWAYS moves from a source of higher pressure to a place of lower pressure.

Because of the airflow hitting your windsheild and flowing around both sides (and over your hardtop) the fast moving air will create a low pressure area in the cockpit and suck the air out and into the flowing airstream. Think of someone smoking a cigarette in the car ahead of you with the window open a bit. Almost all the smoke is sucked out the window.
Bernoulli's Principle

If you bring or force (fresh) air into your footwells, it will move from that higher pressure area around your feet, up into the lower pressure area around your shoulders and head, to be sucked out the side window openings or top vent.

The ONLY way to keep that from happening would be to TOTALLY seal the side windows (and THAT ain't gonna happen with a Healey) or to construct a cockpit tonneau that ties tightly around your neck. Then you might be able to vent the footwell air out of the side vents and keep it outta' your face.

Frankenhealey said:
I want to draw cool air into the footwells and exhaust it from there.

Sorry Ian, but I don't think that will work. If you duct fresh air into the footwells, I don't think that you'll be able to use even high CFM fans to try to suck it out of the footwell before it has a chance to ascend into the low pressure area around your torso. The footwells are a huge volume to try to evacuate with fans.

IF you are able to successfully evacuate the air from the footwells, the footwells then become a low pressure area, probably lower than the upper cockpit and I'm sure that the air will move down from the cockpit faster than it will come in through the fresh air footwell vents. That might keep the footwell air out of your face, but if that happens, there would be no need to duct fresh air from up front into the footwells.

Several companies make 12-24 VDC ELECTRIC A/C compressors. Then put the A/C in the trunk/boot. Might be worth a look-see.

See what Pete thinks?

Personally, I like the sight picture of the necktie tonneau :thumbsup:

Tim

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
I wanted to add that since I had fresh air vented footwells, I speak from experience.

The effect of having a flow of ambient air on your feet & legs FAR, FAR, outweighs the effect of having that slightly warmed air move up around your shoulders and face.

Of course, I had no hard or soft top. I had so much air coming and going all over the place that I hardly noticed the footwell air.

Tim

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Ian,

Recently, I completed an article that addressed a way of supercharging the air stream of the cold air vent through the use of a speed-controlled 4” bilge blower. Although the installation is relatively hidden and produces a selectable (with the use of a DC speed controller) volume of air (up to 240CFM), it is not air conditioning.

All the best,
Ray

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No room for an A/C compressor under hood so Ive had to rule that out in the past.

Well Ian, if you use one of the modern compact compressors there is plenty of room to install one under the hood and its operation will not feel like someone is hanging on the rear bumper.--Fwiw--Keoke :cheers: