• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A for TR3driver...and the rest of you guys too

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
....another "rare" piece...do you know what it is?....Hint, BP says he has never seen one,...but he is wrong about what it looks like.This is it. It's faded brown bakelite and stainless all cast into an adj TR3 hub.

Attachments

• 8999.jpg
    8999.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 9000.jpg
    9000.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 141

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, beats me. Maybe a late Vanguard or something ? I know the early ones had spokes like a TR3, but those are a later style (like the TR5).

OP
B

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
...it's the "optional" TR3 wheel Piggott mentions in his Original TR3 Book. He says it's dished,...wrong. Look at it you guys, I have had it for over 20 years. I bought it from a WELL respected TR guy, along with his 58 TR3.

OP
B

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Hmmmm, I'm a little underwhelmed, I thought you guys might find this very interesting.Another piece of TR trivia revealed. Maybe you doubt it and your being kind, by not commenting. Do you guys think I ought to get it verified somehow? I thought I had,I have not mentioned the former owners name because I didn't ask him if I could. OR...maybe the wheel is just no big deal....

I also have an aluminium windshield frame and stanchions,....anybody wanna see that? I,m running out of toys to bring to show and tell. I had the swivel ashtray too at one time years back,...thought it was aftermarket junk and tossed it. I have a few other bits too, but they only fall into the kinda hard to find category.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, the wheel IS interesting, I'm just not quite sure what to make of it. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the factory parts book and since Bill's only description is "dished steering wheel", it's not entirely clear to me that what you have is the same thing he was talking about. Seems strange it wouldn't have (as far as anyone appears to know) a factory part number ... almost makes it seem like it might have been an aftermarket item fitted by dealers or something. One of Bill's other books shows a wheel with similar spokes and rim fitted to a TR4 (with a TR4 horn push) and notes that it is non-original but period correct.

The aluminum windscreen surround is a different matter; it's listed in the book and there's even one in the local club (tho it's the only one I've ever paid any attention to, since a fellow club member was trying to locate the special Tenax pegs for it).

OP
B

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Hi Randall, the one on the TR4, if it is wood,it should have more holes,be dished and be made of aluminum. If thats the one, it is factory official and was made by a company call "Formula".
BP is very informed, but he does have a few incorrect facts. My wheel is the same size as the factory wheel, made of the same bakelite as the adjustable wheel(the standard and Adj wheels were made of different materials) It has stainless spokes and and identical hub and tightening hub nut.The ends of the spokes as they go into the rim have stainless finishers. As for a part# Randall tell me where they would be on a standard wheel and I will look , I have several to look at, then I will compare them to this wheel.
I am sure I am right, but if I am wrong I sure would like to know. I got the wheel from Ivan Love.
This is fun, are there any other "bits" that people say are rare,...maybe I might have one. I have been re-aranging my stuff and re-discovered .....stuff.