• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

flying

kmcormick9

maybe its just me, but it seems like a lot of us british car owners either work around airplanes, fly them, or own them, or a combination of the above

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I had a friend who was a Fighter Pilot and drove a Jaguar XKE. His reason for choosing the Jag was that it most reminded him of the cockpit of a Fighter Plane.
grin.gif

Basil

Gord

Freshman Member
My dad had me around old cars and airplanes while I grew up. Now I have 2 MGB's and I fly. Bitten by the bug twice...

Bret

Yoda
Hmmm? I really never gave it much thought - but you seem to have nailed this one.

When I was in the US Marine Corps (77/81) I was a Huey (UH-1N) & Cobra (AH-1J) Helicopter Crewchief & Jet Engine Mechanic. And today Aviation (mostly military) is still one of my main interests. Naturally knowing my background - I tend to favor rotor wing aircraft over fixed.

However - it’s probably not much of a coincidence that my favorite “fixed wing aircraft” comes from across the pond just like my 78B. That aircraft is the AV-8B Harrier Jump Jet. In addition to this aircraft’s wonderful capabilities, this design has the unique distinctions of being one of the few foreign designed aircraft to be used by the US Military. Namely the US MARINES.

Semper fi!
thumbsup.gif

Bret

A

aerog

I never gave it much thought, but at our airport there are a couple of LBCs stored. Several people have Miatas which I more or less considering being in the same vein as the LBC.

My MG-TD (replica) is stored under one wing of my airplane unless I'm driving it, then it goes home, and another car under the other - the MGB stays at home.

Can't get enough of riding around in helicopters either, they're a lot of fun.

hangar1-450.jpg

The E-Type isn't mine
frown.gif

JordanB

Nice pic. aerog!

That's interesting.
My dad just retired from 35 yrs as a commercial pilot - He had a Midget. My brother is a flight instructor in the Canadian Military - No LBC
frown.gif
And I have a few hours under my belt as well - I've got an MGB.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Not me...I don't fly...my fav other toy is an old BassTracker fishing boat...16 footer with a 60hp jet motor, a trolling motor and 2 live wells. unfortunelty, it is a little too heavy for the B to tow ;-(

Bruce

OP
K

kmcormick9

as of right now im pimping a 197? cessna 152 (rental of course). im planning to get a grumman AA1A since the small plane ride is a little too bumpy for most people i fly with

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kmcormick9:
as of right now im pimping a 197? cessna 152 (rental of course). im planning to get a grumman AA1A since the small plane ride is a little too bumpy for most people i fly with<hr></blockquote>

The AA1A is a nice little airplane, made tons better when the training wheel is taken off the front and put in the back where it belongs
smile.gif

I flew a low-wing airplane for a long time (Bonanza) and while I miss the speed I make up for it by leaving the windows open on the 152 except when it gets cold out. About the only bragging rights I have is my 152 is the newest one in North America
grin.gif

G

you know you have it made, when you own a LBC, fly airplanes, and then on top of all that, you get to go to work and tell the pilots where to go (Air traffic controller). Who says you cann't have the pie and ice cream to go with it.
cowboy.gif

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kmcormick9:
i noticed it has newer graphics in your picture<hr></blockquote>

Thats all new custom paint, doesn't match anything Cessna did. I had the local interior guy make new seats when we redid the interior a couple years ago.

BuddyJ

I don't have an LBC, and I don't have a pilots liscence, but I do do interiors on planes and I hope to someday get an LBC (hopefully this summer).

I can strip the guts out of a 172 in my sleep. Same for Barons, King Airs and 414s.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
'lo all...Nial here, ducking in from my FIRST Robotics 2003 project (I've been out mostly 7 nights a week for the last 4 weeks....no time for internet / TV / life / etc.....but having a ball with our latest 'bot.....another few weeks left before we're done with it).

Figures that the first thing I see back from my hiatus is about flying....

Anyway...I own a 1941 Aeronca 65T Tandem Trainer (miltary version was called "L-3"). Logbook records indicate that it was used for training and some coastal patrol during WW II (sorta like "Homeland Defense" today, I guess). Most of my time has been in tailwheel planes including some other Aeroncas (L-3B, Defender & Champ), Cubs (J-3 and L-4), Super Cub (150 HP), Citabria (180 HP) and a new Huskey.

First flight was in a Lockheed Constellation when I emigrated to NA (from Ireland). First "small plane" flight was in a Cessan 150 in '69.

We have another member on BCF with a (big) Healey and an Aeronca (can't remeber his name, but we e-mail occasionally)....and, I believe we have a member with an older tailwheel Cessna (right?).

Right now, my little "grasshopper" is frozen to the ground but I'm scheduled to fly an L-4 Cub today (wind and pre-heater willing...).

I am enormously jealous of Scott's year-round flying weather (but not his Summer heat / humidity).

The guy that started Moss Motors into old planes (has Boeing Stearman WW II trainer).

Here's my plane (in pre-war "L-bird" livery).

normal_nial1.jpg

OP
K

kmcormick9

any of you guys know if theres any difference between the 152 and 172 (other than the back seat)? my airport sold their rental 152 so it seems as though i will be flying 172s from now on
confused.gif

BuddyJ

152 is smaller overall. The engine is smaller, the plane is smaller, and I think the wings are shorter. As far as flying is concerned, the 172 is a bigger bird, but its faster too so it should be more fun.

Two fat guys in a 152 makes takeoff tough.

G

If you have to fly the C172, you can anticpate less runway used, more power available, so if you operate out of a small airport (runway length)you won't have to worry about not getting off the runway, on a hot day, consequently giving you a great load factor (not a problem for 2 fat guys and full fuel tanks). The other nice thing about it is it is heavier,so it tends to be a little easier to fly, as it doesn't tend to jump around in the wind as much. The down side, is cost. You will find they will charge more for rental/instructional time, as fuel burn is greater etc. Given the option,I would rather fly the C152 for stalls, spins, and other aerobatic manouvers, and fly the C172 for local training and cross countries etc.
cowboy.gif

A

aerog

Actually if you go by the book figures the 152 will get on and off the runway, climb faster than a 172 at gross weight, and only go about 10kt slower. Of course that means with only one person in a 172 it's a different ball game
smile.gif

The 152 has 115hp, the 172 has 160hp. The 152 (stock) can hold just over 24 gallons of fuel giving around 3 hours endurance, the 172 (stock) can hold 40 gallons and around 4 hours endurance.

Flying the two isn't a whole lot different but the 172 is quite a bit bigger and more comfortable inside. If you go somewhere on a trip there's quite a bit more room for baggage, etc. Kind of like the difference between loading up a Miata and loading up a Crown Vic. If you want to load up a pickup truck you'll have to move up to the 206 (or tu206).

If you want to really have fun fly a 150/150 (Cessna 150 with 150hp up front), or better yet a 150/180. Add big low pressure tundra tires and you're really talking fun
smile.gif

Moderator's note: Moving to the "free for all" area