• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exhaust Pipe Size

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Anybody know the O.D. of a BJ8 front pipe where in enters the muffler?
Just a thought , Can U measure the ID of the mufflers front pipe.???

OP
B

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
No , I have the crappy chinese made Tourist trophy Moss system. The O.D. of the front pipes is 1.9. I recently burned out the 3rd set of mufflers in less than 300 miles. I am now trying to cobble up some sort of bastardized exhaust with the intent of ending up with an Abarthe tail pipe that I have been sitting on for awhile. The Abarthe will accept a 1 3/4 pipe which must be the O.D. of a correct BJ8 outlet. I don't want to buy BJ8 front pipes until I know I can make something work muffler wise. I have been fighting the stupid Tourist trophy crap for 5 years.

OP
B

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Moss sent the 3 sets of replacement mufflers. I called Them again after the 3rd set They did not offer to send a 4th set and at this point I don't want them. Technically I am past the original 5 year warranty anyway.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Several Healey friends and I have been running the mild steel muffler sold by Healey Surgeons. Inan recommends it as the quietest one they've found. Still sounds good after 2 years.

I've had OEM, Moss mild steel (10 years ago), Pacesetter Monza, Moss TT and now the Healey Surgeons. The latter is the best. It doesn't have the nasty resonance at cruising speed the others all developed. Am running it with Kirk headers and 1.75" Monza tailpipe with Monza tips.

I've also had several different tailpipe diameters. Found by experimentation that going back to the stock 1.25" pipe does not run quieter than the larger sizes. FWIW was measuring the decibels with a phone app.

OP
B

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have 2 AP exhaust glasspacks on it now but they are 2 in. I.D. inlet so there is some leakage I would get a better set of front pipes if I can verify the O.D. of the front pipes outlets.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well it may be possible to take a muffler and the front pipes to a good muffler shop and have them fit the front pipes to the muffler by expanding the fitting end???

Another { Micky Mouse } way is to load the fitting ends with RTV and let it set up : But you will have a devil of a time separating them later.---😮

Country flag
1 & 7/8"

IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0744.JPG

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have 2 AP exhaust glasspacks on it now but they are 2 in. I.D. and a 1 & 7/8"
Down pipe ???????

Country flag
Dunno what to tell ya, K. Those are stock downpipes, probably nominally 1 & 3/4" ID, with 1/16" thick tube walls. Pipes with 1 & 7/8" ID would likely be 2" OD.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dunno what to tell ya, K. Those are stock downpipes, probably nominally 1 & 3/4" ID, with 1/16" thick tube walls. Pipes with 1 & 7/8" ID would likely be 2" OD.
No that delta just seemed like a big GAP to me Bob

OP
B

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well it may be possible to take a muffler and the front pipes to a good muffler shop and have them fit the front pipes to the muffler by expanding the fitting end???

Another { Micky Mouse } way is to load the fitting ends with RTV and let it set up : But you will have a devil of a time separating them later.---😮
Actually I have used the J B Weld Hi-temp epoxy with good results. Seals well and chips off if You need to remove it.

Country flag
Actually I have used the J B Weld Hi-temp epoxy with good results. Seals well and chips off if You need to remove it.

I've seen Brit mechanics on TV--inc. Edd China--use some blue goop to seal up exhaust joints; anyone know what it is? Haven't seen anything that color on this side of The Pond.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've seen Brit mechanics on TV--inc. Edd China--use some blue goop to seal up exhaust joints; anyone know what it is? Haven't seen anything that color on this side of The Pond.
BOB: I think we have an RTV that is blue I can vaguely remember it being recommended over the more conventional stuff but the name escapes me at the moment.???

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've used concentric sleeves and muffler cement to bridge the gap between downpipes and nose of muffler. At the auto parts store they sell pieces of exhaust pipe in various diameters which can be cut up for these sleeves. I use the SS band clamps.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag