• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Datsun 5 speed Quick shift/short shift prototype

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Pictured below is the proof of concept short-shift prototype I developed for the Datsun 5 speed conversion. Yesterday, the final CNC product was shipped to me for final approval and testing, which I hope to have by the weekend.

Besides reducing shifter travel by about 50%, as a bonus feature, it will also fit neatly under the original metal shift turret most people desire to keep in place, as well as use of the original rubber shift gaiter. This is a custom shifter and will include the necessary mounting hardware, new bushings and pivot pin. The shift lever will be threaded to accommodate existing shift knobs, but I can also supply new MG, AH Sprite, 5 speed pattern shift knobs. I am also considering making a "Winged g" badged version that some have requested like seen that on my adapter plates. Installation can be performed with the gearbox already installed.

85% of my intended first run is already pre-sold, but I still have a little time to increase production if others are interested. Please contact me directly for more details if you are interest in having one.

Shifter Prototype.jpgQuick shift overlay.jpg

Country flag
Gerard, is that shifter lever chromed?

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The final finish has not been determined. Chrome is potentially too expensive, but still being considered.

If you are referring to the one pictured, that is just a rough, proof of concept prototype I made from aluminum to test how it world work, feel and fit. A lot of subtle adjustments were needed to determine various factors before turning it over to the machinists. The finished shifter itself will be steel.

Gerard, is that shifter lever chromed?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Impressive work! great project. I can't use it but, well done and thanks for continuing to care for these little cars!

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thank you, JP, Much appreciated ... :cheers:

Impressive work! great project. I can't use it but, well done and thanks for continuing to care for these little cars!

Country flag
What about cobalt nickel plating?

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That seems like sorting to consider. I'll ask the shop if they have someone who can do that. One option they suggested was a black oxide finish (matte black). There are some very cool powercoat options test days as well. I just dis some furniture pieces in a color shifting bronze metal flake. I saw some spoked wheels done with this color and it can appear black in low light, dark bronze in average light with green and amber highlights.

IMAG0617.jpgIMAG0618.jpg

What about cobalt nickel plating?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Chrome or chrome colored is what I want -- my goal is for things to look pretty stock, even with all the mods underneath.

Country flag
That is why I asked about the cobalt nickel. When applied to a smooth metal surface it looks almost like chrome.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was only showing those powder coated sample to show how much powdercoating has advanced as far as color and finish options. I'm going to see if I can find someone that does the cobalt nickel plating Trevor suggested, and also the cost. If I can't get that done, I'll likely go with a chrome finish powder coat. The guy I use here does really high quality work.

Chrome or chrome colored is what I want -- my goal is for things to look pretty stock, even with all the mods underneath.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sounds good to me. Good to have options -- but the pricing on these small batches is always an issue.

Didn't actually realize you could do chrome powder coating

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes indeed, this small quantity production is an issue at every turn.

Not only typical chrome look, but also colored chrome, including black.

chrome powdercoat.jpgblack chrome.jpg

Sounds good to me. Good to have options -- but the pricing on these small batches is always an issue.

Didn't actually realize you could do chrome powder coating

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's the quality finish I can get with ceramic coating. They actually polish it after being baked on at 650 degrees. If I do powercoat (same shop) I suppose I can do custom colors per individual order if someone wants black or some other color.

silver ceramic coatingsml.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
How about powder coated chrome for windshield frames and cockpit trim?

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Jim,

Not sure what the question is. For aluminum, clear anodizing is a better solution, but ceramic coating was recommended for better durability for something that would get that much handling.

How about powder coated chrome for windshield frames and cockpit trim?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Was just wondering about polished powder coat for cockpit trip. To keep it shiny without maintenance. So clear anodizing is the way to go vs. powder coating like David S. is recommending. If I could get powdercoated chrome not sure why I would powdercoat trim as dull aluminum color. Just thinking out loud. I'd vote powdercoat Gloss Black or Chrome.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Received the prototype shifter as well as a proposed custom shift knob (not included with the kit) I've shown it with several shift knob variations, including an period original.

I couldn't be more pleased.

Lever-knob insert.jpgshifter compositesml.jpg

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/5speedKit.htm

Last edited:
OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I got a chance to install and test drive a Bugeye with the prototype today. The results are even better than I expected. The volunteer who brought his car over said the shifting actually felt better and more positive than with the original shift lever. I only had some brief seat-time, but when comparing the two, it felt that way to me as well. Shifting is crisp and positive.

BL_Shift.jpg

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The decision has been made to make the shifter from stainless, rather than plating.