• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dash refurb

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jeff,
I'll try to take some detailed pics of behind the dash and post them later this evening.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dash Photos.

Top Photo shows the top aattachment point on the right end, and the lower support rod attachment.

Middle Photo shows one of the top center attachments above the switches.

Third photo shows the top end on the left side, above the fuel gauge.

Attachments

• 20270.jpg
    20270.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 20271.jpg
    20271.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 20272.jpg
    20272.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 249

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
First photo shows how to access the two end attachment points. They are in the hollow gap at the end of the dash. You have to pull the door seal away to access them. The central ones are through supports and are harder to get to.

Second Photo is a close up of the upper right end.

Third photo shows an overall view of lower support rods. You can also see the upper right attachment point in this photo.

Attachments

• 20273.jpg
    20273.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 20274.jpg
    20274.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 20275.jpg
    20275.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 245

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
jvandyke said:
Got all old dash out and mocked up the new one. Looking nice to me so far. Not sure what I'll do with the hole for the windshield washer. What was that thing originally? What type of switch. I might just make it a pull switch set up for a washer motor, but I won't hook it up to anything. Or I could put my light there that I rigged up to come on when my electric fan kicks in....thoughts?
dashmockup.jpg

Perhaps an over ride for the electric fan? I have a pull switch which lights to indicate it is on for my fan manual switch.
Mostly it is off and I rely on the thermo switch but if
I'm say getting ready for some serious driving I just pull
the switch and the electric fan just runs till I push the switch closed. Kind of a security blanket for when I'm stressing the car.

I also had a "spare" hole in my dash. I just installed a
simple on/off switch to match the turn signal switch as a dummy switch.
It's there if I ever decide I need another switch for something.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
scoutll said:
First photo shows how to access the two end attachment points. They are in the hollow gap at the end of the dash. You have to pull the door seal away to access them. The central ones are through supports and are harder to get to.

Second Photo is a close up of the upper right end.

Third photo shows an overall view of lower support rods. You can also see the upper right attachment point in this photo.

Wow Bryan, that is indescribably helpful! You must have really had a problem with my
Chris Craft dash, eh?
I don't have those support bars at the bottom but I can probably make some, unless some out there has some spares they could part with.
My old wooden dash just had two PO screws in the upper corner, it wiggled going down the road and once the nut worked loose and dash fell in my lap....nice, it was sorta pretty though.

BTW what is that auxiliary pull you have mounted under the dash?

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Gundy said:
Perhaps an over ride for the electric fan? I have a pull switch which lights to indicate it is on for my fan manual switch.
the switch and the electric fan just runs till I push the switch closed. Kind of a security blanket for when I'm stressing the car.

My electric fan has a three way toggle; sensor/on (over ride the sensor)/all off. I rigged a light so if it turns on, either by the sensor or manual, I know it. I also rarely need the fan.

That was my thought on the extra hole too; mount a switch for future use, some day I can reinstall the cheap electric windshield washer pump if ever get "bored" and am looking for something non critical to do on the car.....fat chance!

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The extra switch on the bottom is for the heater fan. The original started working dodgey, and since they have a bit of a rep for the hot wire breaking and shorting out, I deciced to bypass it and install my own switch. Works a lot better.

The lower supports are just flat pieces of steel stock, about 3/8 inch thick and about 1/2 inch wide. It should be pretty easy to work out the bends in them if no one has some spare ones. Try sending a PM to MightyMidget. He was parting out an early car a month or so ago.

I think there are only three attachments at the top. One each end and one center. I can't remember on for sure if they added an extra center one on the MK1, but I think they are the same as the bugeye.

If you want, I can try emailing the pdf for the body section out of the BMC manual.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
jvandyke said:
Gundy said:

My electric fan has a three way toggle; sensor/on (over ride the sensor)/all off. I rigged a light so if it turns on, either by the sensor or manual, I know it. I also rarely need the fan.

That was my thought on the extra hole too; mount a switch for future use, some day I can reinstall the cheap electric windshield washer pump if ever get "bored" and am looking for something non critical to do on the car.....fat chance!

Sweet! I like the indicator light functioning with "auto"
selected too.
One day I may do that to mine. I hope to find a use for that dang switch one day too.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
scoutll said:
If you want, I can try emailing the pdf for the body section out of the BMC manual.

I've got a Bentley. Never thought it would be that detailed but I'll look.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Gundy said:
One day I may do that to mine. I hope to find a use for that dang switch one day too.

I have a momentary push that I could put there for the washer. If it doesn't look too funny.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
How is the starter cable routed? I had mine where the choke knob should be, direct shot at the solenoid, if it's by the tach, how does it cross over to the solenoid? Wonder why they moved it there? Nervous passengers engaging the starter thinking S stood for Stop?

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The starter pull issue was discussed in depth some time ago. It seems the bugeye had the starter pull on the right side of the car whether it was right or left drive. The Spridgets have it on the drivers side next to the tach. On the right had drive car, it is a direct pull and on the left hand car it snakes along the firewall, behind the battery tray then down to the solenoid.
The cable is the one with the green wire ties on it in the photo. I put some vacuum hose on mine to make sure it never contacts anything electrical and shorts (lots of inprotected electrical connections in these cars). The choke cable is the one that comes through the right side firewall beside the battery and goes underneath the heater fan duct.

Attachments

• 20311.jpg
    20311.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 261
OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
You sir, are an officer and a gentleman.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
electrical gauge choices

I'm wondering if I should have made a hole in my dash for a ammeter or voltmeter. I originally had an ammeter but it's needle got stuck pegged on 50 amps (during electrical work no doubt I did something silly) I replaced with a voltmeter that gives better info anyway. I just now "unstuck" the ammeter needle. Should I;
1) stop and drill a hole through the dash for either amp or volt meter
2) continue and mount either or both hanging below the dash or wherever

I was working off option 2 but now I'm worried I'd never find a good place to mount an auxiliary (is there one?). Hmmmmm

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: electrical gauge choices

It depends on what you want to do. You can always cut a 2" hole later, but if you anticipate wanting a dash mounted gauge, it may be easier to do it now.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker

I'm leaning toward a dash charge warning light in my dummy switch location.
I couldn't find a good hanger spot under the BE dash.
Knees, line of sight,shifter etc. means that will not work for me.
Cutting the dash isn't a big deal. It has
extra holes now.
I'd like to use a warning light but I bet before it's over
another hole is going in the dash. I like gauges.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker

I'm thinking I'll proceed as is. When it's all back together I will decide where to put the voltmeter (with the original generator it's a must have, when I run at night I hover on the brink of discharge).
I can add an under dash holder or retro fit one in the dash then. If the dealers could do it in the day, I can too.
Today I tackled the lower pad rail. Tore off old red vinyl (very carefully) used that above mentioned spray adhesive to reattach black. I think it turned out very well, again, more puckers at the corners than I pro would get but I'm okay with it. Might try the top one yet tonight. I don't have an original top crash pad, P.O. had made one out of wood. I was going to use that for a base. Was going to glue down some foam pad but now I think I'll go right over the wood. Won't be soft but will look good....I think.
lowercrashpad.jpg

lowerpadwhole.jpg

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag

It looks great.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Is that preaty or what, the factory could do no better.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker

Hey, thanks, it's turning out really well.....so far.
Today I covered the wood top rail with vinyl. I did not add padding though. Looks good to me. Got the corners pretty good. Now I'm waiting on some funds to clear so I can order up from VB, hope their winter sale lasts another couple days. But the weather is turning here and I'm going to get caught with a decent day and an inoperable Midget, which is a sin in these parts. Might have to cobble together the bits and pieces just so I can get back on the road!

I did take apart the tach and speedo too add a second hole for another bulb each, cleaned the glass and chrome nice an purdy while I was at it. Pretty confident all will be well in another week or so. Time to start planning some serious road trips!!!!!!!! I might even take her to work a time or two this spring.