• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cigarette Ash Tray?

62BT7

Country flag
I'm on the verge of finishing my interior (yeah!) and need to install the ash tray in my '62 BT-7. The install is easy enough, but a simple question emerged today: Does the ash tray top/lid flip forward or backwards? I looked in the concours guidelines and another source but couldn't find anything. I know, I know...petty/trivial, but if I'm gonna install it the whole point is to do it sorta right, right? Any ideas? Many thanks,
-Tom

LEERIVAS

In 1968 I was a heavy smoker (remember Lark cigarettes?) and remember the ash tray well. It seemed so small then and filled up so quickly with my butts.

As to your question, I remember the ash tray as flipping open like a BBQ top. I used my thumb to leverage it open.

I stopped smoking "cold turkey" New Year's Day 1970.

Country flag
LEERIVAS said:
In 1968 I was a heavy smoker (<span style="font-weight: bold">remember Lark cigarettes?</span>) and remember the ash tray well. It seemed so small then and filled up so quickly with my butts.

As to your question, I remember the ash tray as flipping open like a BBQ top. I used my thumb to leverage it open.

I stopped smoking "cold turkey" New Year's Day 1970.
I remember the "show us your Lark pack" t.v. commercials...

Country flag
flips forward. :savewave:

OP

62BT7

Country flag
Perfect, many thanks. Off to install the ashtray that will never be used, at least not for ashes...
-Tom

Country flag
I did the same thing about a month ago!

Shane

Jedi Warrior
62BT7 said:
Perfect, many thanks. Off to install the ashtray that will never be used, at least not for ashes...
-Tom

It's a great place to put coins that you can never get out again...

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would add one thing. The inner part only goes in one way! Trial fit first because if you put it in the wrong way you can't open the lid!

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I was curious about my ashtray in my Healey 100. I never thought about how it worked, I just opened it without thinking so having nothing better to do, I checked it out. It opens vetically toward the engine, which I guess is forward. Then if you grasp the hole area, the second layer will open to the right (Passenger side)and you can get at that small change, extra fuses or in my case a spare gate key in case the electricity goes out. I can also remove it by just pulling up. Now that I've confused you all, just go to your Healey and play with the ashtray when you have nothing better to do. I've only one query - "Why an ashtray when I don't have a cigarette lighter?" Just wondering out loud.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
All the old Healey ads showed men smoking pipes. You could possibly light a pipe with a car cigatette lighter, but you end up with a bunch of smoking tobacco stuck to the end of the lighter, which then falls in your lap. Its been 30 years, but ask me how I know. For that matter, when did cigarette lighters first appear in cars?

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
"1931: Safco is established by A.G. Busch, Safco is credited with engineering the cigarette lighter plug for Ford's first automobiles." That's what I came up with for an answer to your query as to when car lighters first showed up. I googled the query. I can guess how you knew about the pipe thing.

I'm still wondering why the ash tray and no cigarette lighter. BTW I quite smoking June 16, 1991. Just for the record.

:angel:

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I did this I checked the pictures in my tursty books and found what appears to be cars with it installed both ways so maybe I installed mine wrong. Mine flips rearward to open the lid. I guess I can change it some day. Have a good day!

John