• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome or painted wheels

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks,
I was just curious because I don't have wire wheels and therefore don't have the machining tolerances of the hubs/splines/wheels to deal with in addition to the machining tolerances of the axles/studs. I guess I didn't realize the hubs/splines could be far enough off for it to matter much - but it's been 20 years since I switched to bolt-on wheels (and never looked back) & don't remember much detail of the wire wheel experience. My major reason for changing was/is wire wheels & hubs are heavy (unsprung weight) compared to aluminum bolt-ons. And bolt-on wheels require far less maintenance.

Dave

F Schreiber

Remember the Aluminum wheels are not perfectly round either. But in general they would be truer. But unless you are racing I would get the ones you like the looks of better. Lots of people have wire wheels and they do fine. My car looks like piece of trash but rides pretty good because of then wire wheels and tires. Hendrix also shaves the tires / wheel assembly to make them closer to perfectly round. New tires are not perfectly round either.

F Schreiber

And remember, doing all this indicating, I bet most people don't do that. They just take the wire wheels Hendrix or someone else gives them and throw them on, no problems. The measuring and indicating is if you are trying to do a bit better job.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G’day Dave,
I had painted wheels on my 100 for many years. In the late ‘70s I found a wheelwright who could rebuild wire-wheels and had a good run for a couple of years. Then the spokes started to break so I bought four brand new 48 spoke painted wheels. After only a couple of years I started suffering broken spokes. I put this down to the nature of wire-wheels. Then, about 13 years ago I splashed out on a set of chrome wheels with 60 stainless steel spokes. They are MWS wheels which were made in India using the original Dunlop tooling. This is without a doubt the best single parts purchase I have ever made in now over 50 years ownership of my ‘54 BN1. My wife even remarked on how smoothly the car rode, not being aware that it was the wheels making the improvement. Easy to clean, and always look great on the car.
Cheers,
Alwyn

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve, I wouldn’t say that, although I am not qualified to state an opinion. As well as the Austin-Healey 100, 48s were fitted to the 100S, MG TF and MGA, Triumph TR2 and 3, and the AC Ace. 60 spoke wheels were not fitted to Austin-Healeys until the 3000 MkIII arrived.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve, I wouldn’t say that, although I am not qualified to state an opinion. As well as the Austin-Healey 100, 48s were fitted to the 100S, MG TF and MGA, Triumph TR2 and 3, and the AC Ace. 60 spoke wheels were not fitted to Austin-Healeys until the 3000 MkIII arrived.

Did a google search for 100S images - almost all have 60 spokers. IIRC the AC Ace had 16" wheels.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

The change to 60 spokers came with the Bj7 at 24367.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Did a google search for 100S images - almost all have 60 spokers. IIRC the AC Ace had 16" wheels.
Steve, I would say most 100S owners have understandably replaced their original wheels with a stronger wheels. AC Aces might have had 16” wheels but they were still 48 spokes. 16” wheels were also an option on the 100.
Rick, thanks for the correction, I was close though, hey?
Cheers

Country flag
While we're on the subject, white/painted wheels--60-spoke or otherwise--should only be allowed on 100Ses (with the Obelia Blue, of course). This should be sacrosanct.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Pan,
Any details about the 16" wheels on a 100? The Heritage certificate for my 100 ( number 789 ) indicates it came with 16" wheels - I thought it was a typo.
Thanks, Bob

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I know I'm supposed to know this, but did the 100S come with 54-spoke wheels? They were around back in that era.

Now you've done it. I know there's something different about the 100S wheels and I'll have to hit the books to find the answer or I'll never get to sleep tonight.

Edit - All the reference books show the S came with Dunlop 60 spokes, no mention about anything special.

The Dunlop Alloy wheels fitted to the Special Test cars were 16". No mention of any 16" wires being fitted to any cars.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick,
I hope this reaches you before bedtime. This is Hans & Ria from the Healey Museum in the 100S of a well known authority on the model who lives here in Queensland. Count the spokes! 1E6EF2CF-9DE8-4609-930C-FB6E2462EA61.jpg

Country flag
Plenty of stories of broken spokes on 48-spokers. Has anyone had broken spokes on 60-spokers?

I know I've never had one in 18 years on my 72-spoke Daytons.

My BJ8 had 60-spokers on it when I bought it (I think they were painted but don't recall for sure). Replaced them with 6" Dayton 72-spokers and haven't broken one in over 100K miles.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Count me in the 72 spokes look too busy, 48 spokes look and probably are, too spindly and weak crowd. Chrome or painted is a matter of taste. I have seen broken spokes on 60 spoke wheels on Healey and Triumph, but I never broke a spoke in ten years of driving my 100 after I got new wire wheels, and that includes quite a few autocrosses.

Last edited: