• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

California Emissions + 1980 MKIV 1500

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
8) HOT AIR HOSE 1975-1980 TKC1455 CALL

You already have this too.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Everyone is pulling for you here, and Scott has gone to some unbelievable lengths to assist you............ Time for YOU to stop making lists and posts and start DOING. Stop dancing around and dig in! People will help if you get stumped but you have to start!
Respectfully
Gordon

OP
Gafirema

Gafirema

@ Gordon...

I'm working on a limited budget, I also need an assortment of parts to begin working on the car. To put all this stuff on and together I need these little nuts, bolts, screws, clamps and various parts. This is pretty much the last step. Once I see that I have what I need in place I can order it and once it comes in I can begin to work on the car with all the parts I need in hand. It would really suck to start putting something on and see you don't have the screws, bolts and what not to properly attach it. I'll be starting on all of this soon enough here, don't worry, I just like to have my ducks in a row so when I start I can properly finish.

D

Deleted member 8987

Well, you can start with a digital camera o what it looks like now, detailed.
Pull the head.
Strip the manifolds.
Have the head checked for cracks and straightness.
Once you have gaskets, you can mount the manifolds and put the head on (or, find out how easy it is for those bottom manifold nuts if you mount the head first), get the cat in, figure out what head pipe you need, start hanging pump brackets, EGR, diverter/gulp/check valves in the places others have shown photos of where they go.
Clamps, unless you plan on CARB Concours, just use NAPA hose clamps or equivalent.

Get your alternator re-mounted, belts on, carb rebuilt and mounted as it gets done.
Don't just sit there, not tearing it down whilst awaiting parts.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Another part on the way... a small U-shaped hose that connects the fuel tank vent line to the forward charcoal can. I just discovered it on my workbench. It has a restrictor in the hose (makes it smaller). Prob doesn't do much, but I'll send it along as it was part of the deal. Don't let this hold you up.

OP
Gafirema

Gafirema

Sounds good Scott, I was wondering about that, thank you much.

I took the car down to another local mechanic today who works on spitfires to have a look at it. I might take it to him if I need him to tune everything out to emissions standards once everything is on. A few things he noted to me:

He said first of all, the gasket on my thermostat was bad and leaking and that I needed a new one and probably a new thermostat. The car has been running slightly hot lately, not badly but he said this is probably the reason why and that it would need to be replaced.

He said the sound I was hearing from the back rear tire, the metal "rubbing" was most likely due to built up brake dust and that I just needed to clean it off some how, I forget how he said to do it.

He also said the bearings on the front tires were very lose and needed to be tightened.

I know, the smog stuff comes first of course, just noting some random things found with the car that'll need addressing soon as well.

D

Deleted member 8987

T-stat and gasket are easy while doing the head and manifolds.
Just concentrate on the big stuff.
You have just over three weeks, a lot to do, get going on it NOW.

OP
Gafirema

Gafirema

Sorry for not updating sooner, still trying to figure everything out and all the parts I need.

Found out the metal rubbing noise is most likely the brake pads. The T-stat gasket probably needs to be replaced before driving further though. Pricing spark plug wires and spark plugs as well.

https://www.spitbits.com/store/10-SPARK-PLUG-WIRES-MK41500-P3786.aspx

Does anyone know if that includes all 4 wires? I believe it does, just want to double check. Also are those something I should bother with? I've heard it can make a big difference on emissions.

Also, it appears I need two adapters that are rather hard to come by for the air filter hot air hose and for the flapper-(whatever it's called) canister thing to connect to the air filter canister. I think I can get them from British Masters for about $30

Again, still pricing all the parts, equipment, everything. I've got my spitbits cart nearly filled to the brim.

I'll say, at this point, one of the things that is bothering me the most is figuring out how to get everything on. Of course, the exhaust/intake manifolds are pretty strait forward, as is the Cat. The air pump is a bit more challenging with my alternator but I should be able to manage fine on that. But all the plumbing is what's rather confusing and I'm wondering just how hard it will be to rebuild the carburetor and if I'm skilled enough to do so. The Haynes manual diagrams don't give much information on the emissions plumbing and is rather cryptic in it's advice for such, the diagrams also seem to be more focused on earlier/different models than mine.

OP
Gafirema

Gafirema

Oh Boy, here we go... Everyone please read this post through.

I am very, terribly, extremely sorry to report but I don't think I'm going to be able to go through with this everyone. I've not been in the best health lately and had some medical bills come up just this week that need payments that I thought were covered. Unfortunately I'm having to make some unexpected payments on them now. I'm also trying to help a close family member who is just now recovering from cancer get a lot of their bills back in line (which can pile up when you have to be out of work for awhile due to something like cancer. Sadly, insurance only covers so much). I would have made it fine, or close to it at least if it wasn't for this unexpected medical bill that just came up...

Again, I'm very sorry to everyone, especially Scott... I am aware I've let everyone down and truly apologize. I'm going to have to register the car as non-operational until I can sell it and borrow/use public transportation until I can get it sold. I'll probably have to sell it off for quite cheap, out of state. It's funny, the car runs great as is (stupid emissions laws). I just can't give it the proper attention and home that it needs right now to be legal in this emissions happy state.

I truly appreciate the kindness and willingness to help me everyone here has given, you guys are really great. Mostly though, I am really sorry to Scott, who has been so helpful. I'm not giving up, so please don't think that, but life has happened once again and I'm not left with many options at this point. I told Scott I would not take the parts if I was going to sell the car or let them go to waste, so to Scott, if you would like me to I can package them up carefully and nicely and send them right back to you. If you want to arrange something about that just send me a private message on here and we can arrange it. If not, that's fine to, whatever you feel is best just let me know.

Once again, I'm truly sorry letting everyone down, Especially Scott... I tried to find every way I could to go through with this, but with this stupid medical bill popping up and with the various things I will need to get this car in smog-shape I'm just not going to have enough to do so and keep a roof over my head. I am truly sorry, please forgive me. I will make sure to find this car a very good, proper home with a owner who can appreciate it.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Car is listed here;

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2341850010.html

"Up for sale is this beautiful little 1980 Triumph Spitfire MKIV 1500. Made in England, they no longer make these and they are highly collectible, this was the last year of it's production. This car looks great, runs great and is absolutely fantastic. The transmission is good, the engine has all it's compression and overall it's a great little car. This car is worth twice what I'm asking if not more in the condition it's in, but there is a reason I'm only asking for this much. I'm looking for a loving home for this car with some one who can appreciate it and work through a little bit of a problem. Please read this ENTIRE ad closely.

I bought the car not long ago from a man who was from Texas who just recently moved here. Sadly I did not know that the emissions equipment had been taken off. People often do this to classic roadsters in other states to increase the horsepower. The thing is, by doing this it makes the car unable to pass the smog test in the state of California. What needs to be done to get it past the smog test? Simple. You put the emissions equipment back on it. I even have all the emissions equipment needed to make the car smog legal, it just needs to be put on. If you know your way around a engine it's not that big of a deal to do, just bolting on parts. Furthermore, these classic British Roadsters like Triumphs have some of the easiest engines in the world to work on. The thing is, I just do not have the mechanical knowledge nor the time to take on this endeavor at the moment, but I know there are plenty of people who do. Thus, why I'm looking for this car a new home.

I need daily transportation and don't have the time for this car right now so that is why I'm selling it off. Again, it runs great. The only things you might want to do aside from putting the smog equipment on it is putting on a new set of rear brakes ($40) and maybe putting on a new thermostat gasket (they cost $3.99 and are very easy to put on.)

Now, being as I was not able to get this car passed the smog test I had to register it as non-op. The title is perfectly clean, the paperwork is perfectly clean but I'm still waiting for the title to arrive in the mail (the DMV loves taking their time and inconveniencing people as much as possible). The car CAN be sold and bought perfectly legal without the title IF the sale is within the state of California and CAN be registered to the buyer just fine as long as a bill of sale and registration are provided. As soon as the title arrives in the mail to me, I can give it to the buyer (although technically that is not needed for the buyer to register and title the car, it just makes it easier on them). You don't have to take my word for it though. Call the DMV and ask them yourself, just make sure you know how you're explaining it to them and you are talking to some one with at least one eye and half sense.

Hopefully some one comes across this ad who does not mind putting a little bit of effort into this and bolting on some parts to make the car smog legal, as it is well worth it and with it's smog certificate in this area and the market around here, the car can easily bring 6~8k in the condition it's in. Although once you drive it around I doubt you'll want to sell it. It really is a brilliantly fun little car. I just need daily transportation at the moment and cannot afford to wait around.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me Via E-mail through this ad.

If you are interested in the car and would like to look at it or are interested in purchasing it, contact me Via E-mail through this ad. BE SURE to include your Telephone number and Name so I know you are not a scammer. At the very least a coherent sentence. "