• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bonjour, bonjour. What do we have here then?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
https://www.mg-rover.org/
Thu, Apr 14th 2005

A group of MG and Rover enthusiasts were left stunned and bewildered during a recent visit to the MG Rover factory at Longbridge, to show their support for the 6,000 employees at the beleaguered factory.

Steve Childs – Webmaster of MG-Rover.org, the busiest website for MG and Rover enthusiasts – said ‘Upon arrival, the convoy was greeted by two police cars sitting outside the gates. Nothing wrong or unusual about that you may say… aside from the fact that they were French. A Renault and a Peugeot on duty outside the gates of the UK’s last remaining volume car producer, whilst inside 6,000 employees fight for their jobs.’

‘When I visit Paris, the French Police drive French cars. When I visit Berlin, the German Police drive German cars. And when I visit Madrid, the Spanish Police drive Spanish cars. Yet here in the UK’s industrial heartland, the British Police seem to drive any car, other than a British car!’ added Steve.

The presence of foreign Police cars on patrol outside Longbridge, follows claims earlier this year, that some UK Police forces were avoiding MG and Rover products in case it caused offence to ethnic minorities.

‘As MG and Rover enthusiasts, we’re not even asking for special treatment for British made products.’ explained Steve. ‘We’re simply asking that the same rules are applied to public sector purchases in the UK that appear to apply elsewhere in Europe. In essence, the same kind of ‘level playing field’ that results in Italian Police driving Italian cars, Spanish Police driving Spanish cars, French Police driving French cars and German Police driving German cars.’

‘If the public sector had ordered MGs or Rovers over the past 5 years, MG Rover would not be in the situation they are in now. 5 years ago the police fleets were awash with Rovers, now they’re awash with cars that weren’t even built in this country, let alone MG or Rovers. My local police station car park looks more like an outpost of the French police than one in the West Midlands. Why are they sending tax payers money abroad when there are more than capable products made by British workers ?’

The Government recently took delivery of a number of Rover 75 Limousines; ‘We applaud the government for the purchase of the Rover 75s, but sadly it appears it was far too little, far too late.’, added Steve.

The Longbridge visit by MG and Rover enthusiasts is the first in a series of visits organised by supporters of the two venerable brands over the coming weeks, to show their support for employees at the MG Rover plant, their dealer network and the suppliers to MG Rover.

According to Steve, further events are planned. ‘Working together with other enthusiasts’ websites, we’re totally committed to doing everything we can to support the future of Longbridge, the future of the company’s 6,000 employees, not to mention the suppliers and the employees in the dealer network.

The next event is a Longbridge to Gaydon Rally to be held on Sunday the 17th of April. Details of this and forthcoming events will be posted online at either of the two largest enthusiasts websites, www.mg-rover.org or www.xpowerforums.com.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yikes... that doesn't bode to well for their government, imo. I know I hate seeing any non-domestic vehicle in civil services in the US. While I lived in FL the police rode Harleys, I was less than pleased to find the police in CA riding Kawasakis....

Yeah, MGR might have done better if their government and civil services bought domestic vehicles. However, sometimes they're (the agencies in question) in with their hands tied (contracts that force the gov to buy some many cars over so many years, etc.). At one point MGR was owned by BMW, and it could have been seen as a lesser of two evils decision when the decision was made to buy imported. I'm only saying that because when MGR was purchased by PVH that made MGR the last remaining UK owned auto company. And MGR as a UK only company only came back into being a less than 5 years ago.

bleh... either way, sucks to see them go down the way they're going down...

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
yikes... that doesn't bode to well for their government, imo. I know I hate seeing any non-domestic vehicle in civil services in the US. While I lived in FL the police rode Harleys, I was less than pleased to find the police in CA riding Kawasakis....

[/ QUOTE ]There was some politician, I don't recall where, that was also incensed that local law enforcement were choosing Kawasakis and he set about pushing through legislation that required them to choose American made products.

The regulations were written and they were about to be signed into law when somebody told him. Kawasaki Police Specials are made in Lincoln Nebraska.

PC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I must weigh in on this one, since I am rather more conversant with what goes on than the well-meaning Mr Childs.

During nearly twelve years' service with the West Midlands Police (the force that covers Longbridge) I drove nothing but British products, and to be exact, BL cars, most of which were in fact made in Longbridge. The only Ford that I saw in the force fleet (but never got to drive) was made in Dagenham, before the plant was closed.

I am saddened by the fact that British Police Forces went away from UK-produced vehicles, but I believe that it was a simple case of economics. I will not enter a political debate here, but economic constraints placed upon Britain's chief officers during the last few years have meant that the contracts to supply vehicles have been placed with the lowest bidders, and foreign manufacturers.....notably the French.....are heavily subsidised by the government (under the umbrella of "investment" as subsidies are illegal under european legislation) which allows them to under-bid Rover, who had to at least break even on each car. There, in a nutshell, is the problem.

And by the way, the Honda Gold Wing, made in Marysville, Ohio, has a higher content of US-made components than most Harley-Davidsons!! Which makes it more American-made than Harleys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Mini_Jim

Freshman Member
I agree with your sentiments!

Our cops in Maryland drive Fords, which, as we know, are assembled outside the US!