• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Top Frame Bumpers

JamesD

Freshman Member
Country flag
When the rag top is raised on the Mk 3 Healey, the top frame sits on a pair of rubber bumpers, 1 on each side, just behind the seats. I have not seen these for sale anywhere, nor are they mentioned in the BMC parts manual. I will try to make a pair of them out of "wheel arch buffers". Before doing that, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That does not ring a bell with me hope others can help U.

OP
JamesD

JamesD

Freshman Member
Country flag
It seems that a photo might help. In this image, the driver's door is the bottom left, and the left rear fender is the bottom right. The odd-shaped shiny thing in the middle of the photo holds the piece of rubber in question. There is a split rivet through the middle of it, and underneath is all that remains of the rubber bumper, which once existed on the top side as well. The bracket is attached to the chrome piece in the lower right by 2 small screws. The exact thing, in mirror image, exists on the other side of the car. I should add that this is a 1967 model, and this part might or might not exist on older BJ8s.
12Sept21.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Go to the next post " The Man in command " then select MEDIA there will come up a set of pictures of a BJ8 bare top frame on a red BJ8 U will see them there.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Well the description of this part is a little vague, but check out part # 682-110 on Moss' site.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello James. Those are Shut Pillar Seals. As a unit (aluminum arm, rubber buffer and rivet) Moss sells #803-875. Two photos attached from Moss site.

The rubber buffer is the same as used on the front rain rails, Moss #031-359 about $1 and as you pointed out, the wheel arc buffers.
I used these and cut them to custom fit.
I used a rivet with a washer being I have rivets, vs using the split type washer which is correct.

I believe the purpose of that rubber buffer is to make a seal. You may find bending the arm to position it for best fit maybe helpful.

Attachments

• C82BD2E3-68F7-47C3-B6C6-CCBAA113FD59.jpeg
    C82BD2E3-68F7-47C3-B6C6-CCBAA113FD59.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 32BA3D71-D5A0-4081-B076-65A4669DBFE6.jpeg
    32BA3D71-D5A0-4081-B076-65A4669DBFE6.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 141
  • E812A251-F207-4E73-A67B-4AC3A6246F69.jpeg
    E812A251-F207-4E73-A67B-4AC3A6246F69.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • E4991802-7422-4CF5-BB07-90DD14E27401.jpeg
    E4991802-7422-4CF5-BB07-90DD14E27401.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • D6E290FC-43A3-4C81-922D-198A826195F0.jpeg
    D6E290FC-43A3-4C81-922D-198A826195F0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 134
  • F9919473-9BEB-497A-BD32-C72B6B063E2F.jpeg
    F9919473-9BEB-497A-BD32-C72B6B063E2F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Resurrecting.

Anyone got a shot of how these are affixed to the car? A couple screws, obviously, but to which part of the body (shutpillar, hood enclosure, etc.)? Sheet metal screws, machine screws, bolts?

Last edited:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Anybody know if these are OEM? My car was pretty much stock, except for a couple paint jobs, when I bought it at 64K miles and I don't recall ever having these (haven't had a chance to check for screw holes yet).

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My early 65 does not have these and there are no holes for mounting the screws. The car has been in My family since 1970 and I am the only one to have had any cosmetic work done to the car so it's likely that they were never there. Of course it's British soooo...

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My early 65 does not have these and there are no holes for mounting the screws. The car has been in My family since 1970 and I am the only one to have had any cosmetic work done to the car so it's likely that they were never there. Of course it's British soooo...
I've been looking into this, off and on, trying to decide if I want to add another task to my list. I finally checked my copy of Anderson&Moment's book and, sure enough, there are a couple photos that show these on a, presumably, totally original, or faithfully restored car. However, like 'bdcvg,' my car doesn't have them, and there are no holes for fitting them. My car has been repainted a couple times, but AFAIK nothing was done to the interior. So, this appears to be a case of: a) the factory quit fitting them as a speed of assembly/cost issue (my car is a BJ8 P2 built in Nov. of 1966), or b) sometimes they got fitted, sometimes not.

Also, the A&M's photos show a rather thin, sheet metal bracket like 'JamesD's,' whereas 'AUSMHLY's' is made of thicker metal (aluminum?). So, I'd like to have these, but then my car wouldn't be 'original.' What to do?