• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Release bearing

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Im looking to find the thickness of the carbon release bearing . The one I took out is in great condition but I dont have a new one to compare it to to see how worn it is . Why replace it if its not worn out ?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Sometimes if you already have it out, easier to replace now than later. You do not know how many miles are on it and it might be original, why not replace it while you have it apart.

Country flag
Have heard rumors--thoroughly unsubstantiated--that some of the newer carbon throwout bearings have suffered from premature wear. Hearsay only--maybe someone has first-hand experience.

57_BN4

They are only about 1/4" thick to start with. If it isn't a light blue (usually burned looking after a while) AP bearing then they are almost always on Ebay for about $35 to $50. BJ8 used a different bearing to most other cars, not sure of the change point though. Andy.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sometimes if you already have it out, easier to replace now than later. You do not know how many miles are on it and it might be original, why not replace it while you have it apart.

I'm with Larry on this one. It's a cheap part that's very hard to get to. If you already have it out, it makes good sense to replace it.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They are only about 1/4" thick to start with. If it isn't a light blue (usually burned looking after a while) AP bearing then they are almost always on Ebay for about $35 to $50. BJ8 used a different bearing to most other cars, not sure of the change point though. Andy.

The one I took out is about 3/4" thick .
I kind of agree with the its out change it theory , its not that Im cheap , I just hate being a parts changer for the sake of it .

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The one I took out is about 3/4" thick .
I kind of agree with the its out change it theory , its not that Im cheap , I just hate being a parts changer for the sake of it .

Are you saying the carbon layer was 3/4" thick? That seems WAY too thick from what I remember.

57_BN4

Another way to tell if it is near new is by a bevelled outer edge. If this is worn off then it is at least partially used up. Not sure if that is the same for repro bearings.

$T2eC16d,%21%29sE9swm,vp8BRR1D%218iBg%7E%7E60_3.JPG

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Are you saying the carbon layer was 3/4" thick? That seems WAY too thick from what I remember.

Yep the carbon ring removed from the carrier is actually 5/8" thick . I measured it ..

57_BN4

If the carbon comes out of the carrier it is stuffed... It should be permanently held in there. The distance I'm referring to is the height of the carbon from the steel carrier when measured around the outside.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
New one ordered , its on its way .

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a brand new release bearing for my BJ8 that I received from Moss and haven't installed it yet The carbon block is exactly 5/16" thick. Moss's catalog price for the bearing is $53.95. Considering the labor and aggravation of removing and reinstalling the gearbox and overdrive to replace the bearing, it your old one is worn at all it would be worth it to replace it with a new one while everything is disassembled. I would also replace the pilot bushing in the crankshaft (as I am doing).

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drum roll please ..............

Ta dahhhhhh