• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

backfire...ect.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rick in that case you can ignore this wire, just make sure it is isolated from touching ground.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
You only need to worry about the white/black grounding out if it is attached to the coil, which doesn't seem to be the case here. I would tape it off anyway to keep the wiring clean looking.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Depends in this case on which terminal of the coil it is connected too! if you need to worry about it.---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Keoke,
Zooming in on the coil, from this angle, I only see these two wires hooked up to the coil. So the white/black wire should only be attached to the cut-off switch in the trunk. I say should, cause a lot can happen in 40+ years. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
I found this PDF hiding in the basement of my computer. I have tried to re-wire it for a positive ground application, check me on this please. It might help figure out if Rick’s Pert. is bad or not (my bet is that it is). I would guess that limiting the time the power is flowing through the Pertronix would apply here as well.
5313-pert.jpg

Attachments

• 5313-pert.jpg
    5313-pert.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 55

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
NEVER EVER WASH AN ENGINE, ESPECIALLY A BRITISH CAR ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GregW said:
Hi Keoke,
Zooming in on the coil, from this angle, I only see these two wires hooked up to the coil. So the white/black wire should only be attached to the cut-off switch in the trunk. I say should, cause a lot can happen in 40+ years. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Yes that is where it was intended to go it could be cut loose at that point too. However, what I was alluding to is, if that wire were connected to the POS terminal of the coil the circuit could care less. Baring a bad Boot switch it would not have any effect if connected to the NEG terminal either.

Regarding whether the Pert is good or bad I think before the wiring was spliced it stood a chance of surviving. I took the position because the wiring inside the dizzy was not burned, which led me to later believe that the fault occurred at the wire base plate point just ahead of the Module. OTOH,the start run/stop scenario is typical of a Perts last breath.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
why said:
NEVER EVER WASH AN ENGINE, ESPECIALLY A BRITISH CAR ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------WHY!------------------------------ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif <span style='font-size: 17pt'> </span>

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Keoke: Its bad enough to keep 'em running when the moisture is outside the engine compartment, putting water directly inside the engine compartment is truly tempting the fates, and we all know about them....
'65 3000
'67 Etype
'95 Super 7