• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Automatic transmission in a TR4 A

DBeliveau

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
I know this is considered blasphemy in our world, but a friend of mine has a TR4 A but due to leg problems can no longer depress the clutch pedal. So I was wondering if the automatic transmission from the Stag could be used in the TR4 A. Also whether anyone out there has done this?
Thanks,
Dan

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I will start off the replies with....I do not think that the Stag has the same bell housing....Transplant a Triumph saloon 6Cyl engine and transmission [would require some fabrication at front of chassis, engine mounts etc]...The saloon bell housing is the same as the TR4, so maybe the BW35 transmission could be adapted.
The easiest option would be to convert the existing manual gearbox into a "semi automatic" by way of an electronic servo operated clutch.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The memory was strong enough that I was sure I had read it somewhere so went looking...

It was a 1990 TRSC article reprinted in Volume 2 of TRSC's Technical Talk.

A transmission from a Triumph 2000 was used (Borg Warner model 35). Some modifications were needed of course, but the bell housing seems to have been compatible.

Dan - if you want a copy of the article PM me your email address. It isn't great detail (only 3 pages) but does highlight what had to be done.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Okay - simpler to post it for all to see. Note this may be copyrighted material though it is from 30 years ago and a club that may have merged into something else along the way. I'll delete if anyone sees a problem.

TR6 Auto 1.JPG
TR6 Auto 2.JPG
TR6 Auto 3.JPG
TR6 Auto 4.JPG

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I will start off the replies with....I do not think that the Stag has the same bell housing....Transplant a Triumph saloon 6Cyl engine and transmission [would require some fabrication at front of chassis, engine mounts etc]...The saloon bell housing is the same as the TR4, so maybe the BW35 transmission could be adapted.
The easiest option would be to convert the existing manual gearbox into a "semi automatic" by way of an electronic servo operated clutch.
Having further thought about my last comment......it would not be the "easiest" option, as there would have to be a controlled release rate.

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have been looking at it to add to my son's VW GTI, he had an accident and can no longer use a leg operated clutch, just cannot find much info here in the states.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have been looking at it to add to my son's VW GTI, he had an accident and can no longer use a leg operated clutch, just cannot find much info here in the states.
If you were able to get one installed it would be interesting to hear how well it works.

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have been trying to locate someone that has one installed for their experience, somehow I think you would be limited by the electronics unless the clutch stays in as long as you hold the button. I will definitely post if I find more useful information. I have also been thinking of putting in a VW tiptronic, but they are known for problems, the GTI is a 2003, but has the advantage of being able to get rid of the clutch pedal for more room.

KJP

Freshman Member
Country flag
wondering if a period correct BW unit or whatever they used in the Automatic Sunbeam Alpine may be adapted to fit

philstr6

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Heres the car that Steve build for his dad and then my dad bought it awhile back.i will look for pictures of the trannie borg warner automatic
Philstr6

Attachments

• 20220204_133814.jpg
    20220204_133814.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220204_133738.jpg
    20220204_133738.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 86