• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

After bondo???

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The boot of my car was previously wrecked and repaired. I had so re-do all the filler from metal. I've now got it blocked with evercoat rage gold.

Now I either need to putty the pin holes and defects or use a glaze coat and block it again.

Any recommendations? Evercoat has several products in the glaze/putty family.

Thanks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
David,

Rage is supposed ot be pretty much pinhole free. Do you attribute pinholes to Dallas Temps? or all of these sort of materials need to be touched up one final time?

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rage gold is good stuff. My later work is better that when I first started. Small areas are easy to do with just filler. Larger areas are harder to do without defects. I could fix the imperfections with more filler, but glaze is supposed to be easier to spread and sand. It is designed to be the final coat before primer. It is thinner and should self level better too.

My reading this afternoon while flying says to use Evercoat metal glaze, but they have several products in that family. Just thought I'd see what others here have used. The whole boot has filler on it now, but it was not applied all at one time. A final continuous coat of glaze will give me a better chance of it not looking like a shade-tree paint job.

I've put on more since this pic. The area towards the front of the car had no dents but was not flat. I also decided to fill all the holes for the hood mounting hardware and the defroster vents. It is now permanently a topless roadster.

After seeing JimFlorida's white bugeye pics, I've been inspired to paint the engine bay white, that looks awesome. Back when I was going to roll my paint, I decided to spray the engine bay with truck-bed-liner. The idea was that it is tough and provides some texture to minimize the prep. I'm going to scuff-sand it and shoot it white too, since I've now decided to spray the whole car.

DSC_1376.JPG

tomshobby

Yoda
My car had been rear-ended too. The PO had it repaired and the car painted. It had sat for several years since. The repairs were not very well done and the paint suffered from damage while in storage so I decided to paint the entire car. The rear of the car with all the contours was a nightmare after the original work. But I finally am satisfied with it.
I used a high-fill primer. Sprayed primer and then block sanded. Took three coats but I am pretty fussy. I am nearly finished blocking the third coat and should be ready for the black on my rockers today or tomorrow (74 Midget).

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Glazing compounds are really good. Evercoat makes one the I like but don't have any right now and can't remember the name. You can't build much with them but they do eliminate those pin holes. Be sure to use one that has a catalyst though. Also, most any high build primer will do the same thing.