• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Adding a battery cut off switch.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've been working on this '65 and have had lots of electrical problems. The latest is that something went haywire, the ignition light never went out and when I popped the hood to see what was up, the genny wires were smoking. One, bad generator and regulator later and I'd really like to add a switch to thie guys car.

I have one in my roadster and it is mounted through the vertical panel right in front of the battery box. It's the one with the large red key.

Anyway, this '65 is far too nice to do the same thing to so it got me thinking. I'd like to fill the hole where an OD switch is supposed to be but I doubt that switch can handle that much load. Can I add a relay at the battery then run smaller wires to the OD switch? If so, how do I determine what size relay to use?

Cheers
Vince

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd keep a switch to the battery area.

You might look into the battery ends that have two parts separated by a plastic bit - you need to screw down a large plastic knob to make or break the connection. Great for quickly disconnecting cars going into storage.

Moroso makes them, Amazon sells them.

317RTZ7F7GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

fogliner

Hi Vping.

I drive a truck for a living and we have night switches on some of them that shut the batteries off for weekend parking etc.High amperage stuff and reasonably priced too.
I used 1 in my '74 and have it mounted behind the passenger seat on the front of the battery compartment.
I mounted it close to the battery and soldered and heat shrinked all my connections.
Check peterbilt,Kenworth,International parts departments.
All 12 volt stuff and mine works great. Just remember not to turn the battery switch off until after you shut the car off,sounds silly but it could happen and then you would fry the diodes in the alt/gen and have problems.
Probably the only drawback to having the switch there is the risk of inadvertent activation by falling grocieries etc.
Good luck with your wiring. Mark

Attachments

• 21985.jpg
    21985.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 488
OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Bill but in the event of a short or fire, getting to that switch would take too much time to undo the carpet, battery cover.....

I have that type of switch in my '74 Mark and do like it. This '65 I've been working on is a restored car and it really would not look right which is why I was shooting for the OD hole.

Scott, Can that stinger be controlled by a little switch like the OD switch or is it not like that?

JTB

That battery cutoff switch behind the passenger seat saved a car fire for me twice before I replaced the main harness. Now it's extra security for theft, allows me to turn the battery off every time I park it. Not long ago I started car after 1 and 1/2 years parked...and the battery was still good and cranked right away. NO recharge needed. May not look original but I prefer the accessiblity from the drivers seat.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Large red key can be painted black (or paint whatever switch you use black)and mount it near the inside corner of the rear bulkhead to further hide it. Basicly one set of points in the regulator stuck shut when you turned the key off. Bob

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
If you really want some theft deterrent just wire a low current horn across the cutoff switch, if anyone tries to hotwire it the horn will blow until the switch is turned on.
BillM

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
vping said:
Scott, Can that stinger be controlled by a little switch like the OD switch or is it not like that?

Vince-

Sure; no probs. The OD switch would be a perfect trigger for the relay coil. It only draws a few milliamps.
Keep in mind, it you accidentally shut it off when driving, you will lose power to everything and as pointed out, could fry the alternator.

If it were mine, I'd hide the switch controlling the relay coil.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
So far the car has no issues once I replaced the generator and regulator. It's still holds a charge and is charging. I'll have to revisit this with the owner the next time I see him.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is a circuit breaker. Will trip if something shorts the electrical and is easy to isolate the battery. Just push the button.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I thought if you had a "B". An emergency pull was standard

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Vince, Here's a couple switches which are on some farm equipment. They don't stick out very far and are keyed with a non standard key. Not like the Walmart brand. Most John Deere farm equipment dealers should be able to get one for you, or possibly have one in stock. When the key is out, you have the option of placing a cap over the key slot. PJ

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 10pt">700 amp #APF12764-R $52.00</span></span>

5200switch.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 10pt">450-500 amp #APF5065-R $45.00</span></span>

4200switch.jpg