• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

80's XJ6....sitting a while

R6MGS

Yoda
At work I park in the underground of some luxury condominiums....I usually stay on the first level but the other day it was full so i had to go to the next level....I noticed a black XJ6(somewhere in the 80's) in PERFECT shape, just extremely dusting...last registered in 2003. It looks like some engine seals or something gave out from sitting and there is a puddle of oil underneath it running all the way down the parking lot....I left my name and number on it but am yet to hear from the owner(probably hasn't even looked at the car in years)...I was wondering how I can determine the year? and is there anything I should be concerned about after it sitting that long? Although i;ve owned a few Jag I've never done much work on them so I wanna know what I am getting into. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is Ontario like California,where you can date a car by its
license plate?That might tell you,providing it still has the original plates.

- Doug

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
yes, the plates vary slightly here but only enough to tell decade(not exact year)....also when a car changes owners so does that plate....so all the plate can really tell me is the last time it was registered for the road(03).
I usually wouldn't have much interest in the car but this is in absolutly prefect condition(body wise).

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
the oil leak could be the transmission leaking from sitting idle; for some unknown reason, the tranny oil starts to pour through the main seal after the car has sat for 6 weeks or more, once the engine is warmed up and driven, the oil leak dissapears!, check the trans. oil before you start the engine, the dipstick has a "COLD" and "HOT" marker.

The original XJ were made from 1968 through 1987 for the USA market. (they continued making them until 1992 for the European and Canadian and Australian markets). The body styles were known as the Series 1, the 2, and the 3. You can tell a Series 3 (1980½ thru 1987) by its massive black rubber-covered bumpers. If it's a Series 2 or 1, it will have chromed bumpers, though the Series 2 has a black rubber strip "insert" in the front and rear bumpers. Also the tailights in the Series 3 are the larger of the three series, being almost triangular but rounded, Amber, Red, and White top to bottom. The front grille height in the Series 3 stops at the top of the bumper, then a second black and aluminum grille section is mounted in the lower opening. The other two series grilles go down past the bumper. The most attractive of the three styles of XJ is the Series 3, the last series. Take a picture and we can tell for sure which Series it is.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Will do!...Thanks for the info....I'll look into it whenever I get a chance....be real busy here recently.....from what exotexs described it sounds like a series 3.

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
I second the notion that the massive oil leak is transmission fluid. The front transmission seems to take a set and peremit a lot of oil to escape while in storage. A little transmission additive seal softener seems to correct this and also use will alleviate the situation. The series 3 also has a few detectable differences from the outside. 80 through 82 years do not have a trip computer in the center dash console. (it has a shelf) 83 through 87 have trip computers in the center console. 86 and 87 models have a wooden surround around the center console shifter and some added wood trim on the side window interior sills. All series 3s are much the same electrically and mechanically with a few exceptions.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I forgot to add that it's a vanden plas.....

Good to heard about the oil/trans leak....doesn't sound like a big deal.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jack! I think that if it's a Van Den Plas, it must be a Series 3, all the better. The Series 3 (1980½-1987 USA) is the best looking of the original XJ series, very streamlined, as if they let the air out of the Series 2. The S3 VDP's have lots of added luxury like wool carpeting and headliner, rear bucket seats (as opposed to the regular bench seat), chromed map light with a goose-neck, and other extras. A Black S3 VDP, those are rare cats.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Kijiji XJ6 VDP

This is pretty much the same car, different color though....and, if I remeber correctly the bumpers didn't have that much chrome.

Did this guy just type an extra zero or am I missing something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
that's a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF Series 3 XJ-12. they kept sending them to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF until 1992, but they stopped sending them to the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif after 1987, because of the EPA. They're asking $47 thousand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF dollars, I imagine that's about $4,700.00 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif dollars.

Might be $47 dollars - hehehehehe. Oh, wait canada - not mexico.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
the oil leak could be the transmission leaking from sitting idle; for some unknown reason, the tranny oil starts to pour through the main seal after the car has sat for 6 weeks or more, once the engine is warmed up and driven, the oil leak dissapears!,

[/ QUOTE ]

Exact thing happens with my Mercedes 380SL!

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
that's a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF Series 3 XJ-12. they kept sending them to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF until 1992, but they stopped sending them to the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif after 1987, because of the EPA. They're asking $47 thousand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF dollars, I imagine that's about $4,700.00 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif .......there once was a time when we had a stronger dollar.....long,long ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Seriously thou....wats the car really worth? I suspect $4700 is what he ment?

That or he's been watching barrett jackson reruns.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
definitely Barret Jackson reruns...they didn't cost that much even when NEW.

ok, here's my price valuation: depending on the condition first, (it has to be perfect, no accidents, no rust, great tires, perfect transmission, perfect headliner, leather, electronics perfect, etc.), being a 12 cylinder second, which is pure trouble all the time, but it's still a V-12 no matter what, and considering it's a 1988 non-US model, a very rare car to have since there are no 1988 XJ-anything so-to-speak in the US, but which will pass all US emmissions testing, (it will pass I am told, even without catalytics), but considering it's a gas guzzler, and considering the price per gallon today, and considering you'll need 12 spark plugs, and lots of quarts of oil and one filter when you get home, and then a K&N air filter, and new belts and all the vacuum hoses, and assuming the A/C works perfectly, and the Heater, I would venture a guess that car is worth $8 US dollars max. Then I would deduct $1 thousand US dollars for every area listed above that has to be repaired and make my offer accordingly, or just hang up if he/she thinks the car is worth $47k Canadian. But if you are seriously looking for a grand Jaguar, I know a fellow member of the local Jaguar Club who has a fabulous late 1970's V-12 XK-E 2+2 Coupe, in fabulous pristine condition, without any of the troubles listed above, for around $25k US dollars. He has not been able to sell it. (who has $25k to throw around for toys?). Yes I would love to buy the car but I don't haves the doughs and I haves two Jags to feeds. The car is Gun Metal Grey with a fabulous Black interior, the car is a Chariot. Yes, the A/C works and all the vacuum hoses were replaced by our local British car tech who services the car! I am saying the car is like showroom condition. The owner is old, retired, he's not in any hurry, he just likes to look at the car, he said to me. I don't blame him.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I am not really looking for anything....I just pick up whatever comes along....$25,000, although tempting for an EType(I had a 70 roadster) is more than I am willing to spend on another car thats just gunna sit around with the rest of em`.....If and when I get a call from the XJ6 owner(my note has not been touched since I left it) I'll probably offer a few thousand bucks in it current condition and take it from there.....Thanks to everyone for your advice.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I looked for a V12 badge on it as well...but didn't find one on the trunk where it normally is....is the V12 standard on the VDP??
Theres a 1992 XJ6 VDP V12(Canadian version), also in black at the local jag dealer advertised for $34,990!

Also I might be going to look at an XJSC V12 tomorrow(depending on whether or not the owner gets my email in time) any advice on what to look for?