• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage N420 Goes Full Lockdown

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It doesn't have to be expensive to own an "exotic car." They could simply be well designed, engineered and built. They could be as reliable as a Honda. Why is that option off the table?

Maybe because these cars are mainly bought by wealthy people who can afford to hire others to fix them and who can and will pay $$$$ in so doing. They are also limited-production cars. If Honda or Toyota built unreliable cars, it would cost them a fortune. They have to be more foolproof and idiot-proof. If I remember correctly, a friend of mine owned a Ferrari - maybe a 308 - and it needed a timing belt every 15K miles. The engine had to come out to install it. I think he said it cost him $3K. PS - he no longer owns the car.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A neighor has a Lamborghini Mercialago... and the replacement clutch was just under $10K.
[also, shipping from Portland to Seattle]

Last edited:
OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
It doesn't have to be expensive to own an "exotic car." They could simply be well designed, engineered and built. They could be as reliable as a Honda. Why is that option off the table?

Maybe because these cars are mainly bought by wealthy people who can afford to hire others to fix them and who can and will pay $$$$ in so doing.

It's a pretty rare Honda owner who does their own repairs. Why they get to benefit from more reliable design and engineering remains a mystery in my book. Maybe Aston Martin could borrow a few of Honda's?

If I remember correctly, a friend of mine owned a Ferrari - maybe a 308 - and it needed a timing belt every 15K miles. The engine had to come out to install it. I think he said it cost him $3K. PS - he no longer owns the car.

Yes, the infamous engine-out belt service. One of the models of Ferrari - the 328, I think - only requires going in through the wheel well to change the belts. When I test-drove one a few years ago, I was quoted $3200 for the belt service, which was due, and that was for the one where the engine doesn't have to be removed. Perhaps fortunately, the 328 failed the PPI and I passed on it.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Reid - "If you have to ask how much...." I just spent $2,146.91 on my Alfa Spider. All cars today are expensive if they need repairs. If the transmission on my 2002 V6 Accord goes, so does the car, although it is the best car I've ever owned. Still on the original spark plugs and suspension parts after 160K miles.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Carista https://caristaapp.com/vehicles is one of the better DYI OBDII Diagnostic and Service Reset tools sold. I use it on my Audis to occasionally diagnose and reset stuff. Carista supports Aston Martin. The device and subscription service is inexpensive and could save you a trip to the dealership. GONZO

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Carista https://caristaapp.com/vehicles is one of the better DYI OBDII Diagnostic and Service Reset tools sold. I use it on my Audis to occasionally diagnose and reset stuff. Carista supports Aston Martin. The device and subscription service is inexpensive and could save you a trip to the dealership. GONZO

Thanks gonzo. If only life with an exotic car were so simple.

I called the dealership about resetting the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) warning light. I spoke with one of their lead mechanics for Aston Martins. In the course of the discussion the mechanic asked me the year of my Aston Martin.

Oh, well, the life of the batteries in the TPMS sensors is 8-9 years, and so it is likely that the warning light remains on because one of more of the sensor batteries is dying.

I see. Well, what do we do about that?

We replace the sensors. That costs $450 ... per wheel ... and you're going to want to get them all done at once since any that haven't failed yet, will soon.

Can we just disconnect them or remove them? I'm good about checking tire pressure.

No, we can't. It's illegal.

Oh, goodie.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Gulp. $1800 for swap out TPMS batteries! Can you live with the warning light... or will the system try to punish you again?

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Gulp. $1800 for swap out TPMS batteries! Can you live with the warning light... or will the system try to punish you again?

I could live with the warning light for a long time - and will, actually - but you can't get through Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality testing with any warning lights on. So I will likely live with the warning light until summer/fall of next year and then get the sensors replaced in time for my registration renewal due in November 2020.

So we have a new chapter in the saga of Unintended Consequences of Government Regulation. The intent to improve the quality of the air by checking up on the functioning of the pollution-reducing functions of your car was broadened to include all warning lights no matter how far removed from "pollution" and so I am forced to sacrifice well over $2,000 (there will be travel and lodging and tax in Washington state) to reset a dash light.

If anyone thinks that's a good idea, please don't respond :peaceful:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Maybe they make a very effective (and difficult to see) electrical tape to cover it... but I suppose they'll pick up those codes when they plug you in. :apologetic:

Wait, plan B. :cool: I've never tried to actually BRIBE those guys at DMV, but, hey, even $500 puts you way ahead. What's the worst those workers could do? Just laugh? Simply decline? They're not cops.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If anyone thinks that's a good idea, please don't respond :peaceful:

Well ...... if your tires are underinflated it reduces your fuel economy, using more energy, reducing our natural resources, causing us to rely on overseas suppliers, increasing greenhouse gases and directly leading to climate change. All because you won't get a lousy little light fixed. OTOH, you could use a $5 tire gauge to the same effect. (I had an off-topic car that threw an ABS light and the repair was going to be quite hefty. I figured I could live without ABS and was quite happy to find out Massachusetts will pass safety inspection with warning lights on if they were not related to emissions

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I thought the issue here was that despite your best efforts to stay on top of the pressure, you still had to clear the codes get through DMV. So, the cheap tire gauge solution is a non-starter.
Stick with the attempted bribe. :highly_amused:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
"Things left off a car can't give trouble."
CT has no "safety inspections" - only emissions.
Can you get the parts yourself and install them?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
"Things left off a car can't give trouble."
CT has no "safety inspections" - only emissions.
Can you get the parts yourself and install them?

Oregon (where Reid and I am located) is pretty picky. Yes, they mostly do emissions, but they plug your car into their system and assess codes too. Not much more than that.
I somehow doubt you can DIY it all with an Aston-Martin (though worth a shot to look into).