• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1960 AH Sprite

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
... The next time I bought a car off Craigslist across the country we hired someone to do an inspection and transferred the money through an escrow company. ...

Exactly! Wish more people would do that.
Tom M.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Excellent points. A LEGITIMATE escrow agent and a local person to handle/review such purchases is a must.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sorry to hear Jack - in the midst of everything else these days this kind of crap is heartbreaking.

While I am relieved you can absorb it, it doesn't change the disappointment.

Hoisting a drink of friendship in your direction today.

:cheers:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Hot Muscle Cars website has apparently been taken down.
This is a classic case. Waiting 10 days I suppose to see if the funds clear.
These people should be locked up and the key thrown away.
Probably Eastern European.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The Bugeye was listed at MANY sites, including HotMuscleCars.com. That site is still up and has things like a '73 matching numbers Corvette for $6,400. https://www.hotmusclecars.com/details.php?id=23951 [amongst many other crazy prices]

But nearly everything there looks bogus:
MG-TD shown as in Kentucky, but look at the background of the photos: https://www.hotmusclecars.com/details.php?id=1857&search_id=63140

'87 Alfa Spider for $3,800: https://www.hotmusclecars.com/details.php?id=23418&search_id=63141

'06 Bentley Arnage advertised as in many places with variable prices (all low) but all with the same photos https://www.hotmusclecars.com/listings.php?page=1&category=2&search_id=63143&make=Bentley

'71 Lotus Super Seven (as Borat would say "very nice") for $7,500: https://www.hotmusclecars.com/details.php?id=23711&search_id=63144

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks guys. I will never again buy a car without seeing it in person even if I must fly across country to do so.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks guys. I will never again buy a car without seeing it in person even if I must fly across country to do so.

I think it's been a bit of a learning experience for us all, particularly with these so-called "brokers" (and I've notified others that aren't in the group). I only wish there was an easy way to report the bogus websites (even as they quickly come and go).

Last edited:
Country flag
Very sorry Jack. Do let this spoil your enthusiasm for returning to the lbc fold.
Larry

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think it's been a bit of a learning experience for us all (and I've notified others that aren't in the group). I only wish there was an easy way to report the bogus websites (even as they quickly come and go).

Mark - I've been warning about this stuff since I joined BCF in 2004. But the internet makes it way too easy: I see it, I want it, I buy it. Immediate gratification. It must be true! I saw it on the Internet! (It doesn't hurt to at least *try* to verify ...)

What's that old Russian expression? Доверяй, но проверяй. Trust, but verify.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Mark - I've been warning about this stuff since I joined BCF in 2004. But the internet makes it way too easy: I see it, I want it, I buy it. Immediate gratification. It must be true! I saw it on the Internet! (It doesn't hurt to at least *try* to verify ...)

What's that old Russian expression? Доверяй, но проверяй. Trust, but verify.

Similar pontifications from me on the Mini board (MiniMania) where I was active back then (2005).
At least it's now easier to search the web for duplicate ad copy and such... but it does take some effort.

Last edited:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There are some wonderful and some terrible people in this world. $4k would break me, I don't make much and can barely afford this hobby. Sorry to hear this Jack.

VWgirl89

Freshman Member
Hi Jack, I have never posted on this website before but made an account yesterday and was approved today. I wanted just to tell you I fell for the same scam. My car was supposed to be delivered yesterday too from ecarsbroker and nothing ever came. I had to call the bank, file a fraud report...but that website is long gone. 5k is quite a lot for me, so I’m happy that this isn’t a huge dent for you! Wishing you well. I wonder if we sent our money to the same escrow account? “Spoke” to the same automated bot? Makes me so angry they did this!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi Jack, I have never posted on this website before but made an account yesterday and was approved today. I wanted just to tell you I fell for the same scam. My car was supposed to be delivered yesterday too from ecarsbroker and nothing ever came. I had to call the bank, file a fraud report...but that website is long gone. 5k is quite a lot for me, so I’m happy that this isn’t a huge dent for you! Wishing you well. I wonder if we sent our money to the same escrow account? “Spoke” to the same automated bot? Makes me so angry they did this!

I'd suggest both you and Jack file a complaint with the FBI, who are very aware of these scams: https://www.ic3.gov/Media/Y2018/PSA180117 The address to file a complaint is: https://www.ic3.gov/ Don't expect them to unleash a horde of agents to get your money back, though. They concentrate on big scams, but by alerting them, maybe someone else will be helped. It would be important to link your complaint to some of the other similar scams so the Bureau would see this is not a one-off. If you'd like some help writing that portion of the description, PM me.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nice link, Rick. I see that they mention the classic Craigslist car scam about being deployed overseas and needing to sell a car.

Of course their best statement is an age old one: "When it comes to making any purchases, be cautious of items being advertised well below their market value. Remember, if the deal appears too good to be true, it probably is."

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jack,
So sorry this happened to you and while a $4 loss doesn’t hurt your wallet, I’m sure it stings your ego. I was so happy to see you getting back in the game since I’ve learned so much from you and looked forward to your posts. Take care and Happy Halloween!
Rut

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: It's great to have you back Jack. Hope you can find another one and stick around. I'm sure many of us, self included, can learn a lot from your experience.