• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1950 Prefect Headliner

algot1901

Country flag
I am in need of information, how many bows does thePrefect use for the headliner I have found a good price but I have no bows the spares dealer tells me 5 or 6.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'll check mine tomorrow. Meanwhile, where did you find it at any price? Small Ford Spares used to offer one but I see it is not currently available.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Shouldn't you just be using a towel if it's a Ford Prefect?

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
I am trying to find brake lining 9" x 1 1/4 any help would be welcome, is there any other rim that will fit this wide five bolt pattern I see there are some nice rims for the VW although I am more of a salvage yard guy. I have a couple of yards that are still back woods cash or check in my area, my main gripe is the cost for the tires.
Got my crank back from the turner and ordered the rest of the parts from small spares and the exchange rate is out of site well got to go and peel the gasket out of the top and it is a bitch. One other thing I had to replace 3 door glass $400 and change think I am going to put special insurance on just the glass.(y)
Stay Healthy

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I was referencing Douglas Adams' seminal work The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
well I thought you were one froody dude!

Algot 1901 - Ford Prefect is a main character in the aforementioned book. Here is what wikipedia has to say:

Although Ford had taken great care to blend into Earth society, he had "skimped a bit on his preparatory research," and thought that the name "Ford Prefect" would be "nicely inconspicuous." The Ford Prefect was a popular British car manufactured from 1938 to 1961, and Adams later clarified in an interview that Ford "had simply mistaken the dominant life form" of Earth.

further, about towels

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”​

:cheers:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I got all the glass for mine a few years ago and it is waiting for me to paint the car. Was $700+ including the window channels and felt scrapers. So yours is probably in the ball park. I hope you got tempered glass for the doors. The cost is almost the same as safety glass and not nearly as likely to break easily just by closing a door.
You can also check the headliner bows. there is one at each wood top bow and it is a short wire from where it screws to the side and stops at the wood where the headliner is tacked to the wood bow. There is at least one full wire bow behind the fabric top opening and again there should be obvious screw holes where it attaches to the body. I'll still check tomorrow on mine.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
well I thought you were one froody dude!

Algot 1901 - Ford Prefect is a main character in the aforementioned book. Here is what wikipedia has to say:

Although Ford had taken great care to blend into Earth society, he had "skimped a bit on his preparatory research," and thought that the name "Ford Prefect" would be "nicely inconspicuous." The Ford Prefect was a popular British car manufactured from 1938 to 1961, and Adams later clarified in an interview that Ford "had simply mistaken the dominant life form" of Earth.

further, about towels

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”​

:cheers:
Near as I can tell Froody is a compliment, it is the first time I have heard this word and had to check the word bible.
Raining here to day temp is 63F

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
I got all the glass for mine a few years ago and it is waiting for me to paint the car. Was $700+ including the window channels and felt scrapers. So yours is probably in the ball park. I hope you got tempered glass for the doors. The cost is almost the same as safety glass and not nearly as likely to break easily just by closing a door.
You can also check the headliner bows. there is one at each wood top bow and it is a short wire from where it screws to the side and stops at the wood where the headliner is tacked to the wood bow. There is at least one full wire bow behind the fabric top opening and again there should be obvious screw holes where it attaches to the body. I'll still check tomorrow on mine.
Would you mind sending me a photo of your headliner?
Thanks

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Can't do that. I haven't built it yet. I think I can get a photo of the bows though. We had a minor crisis at the shop today and I didn't get time to look in the Prefect but will try again over the weekend.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well I did go back to the shop and got these photos. One shows the wood top bows with the wire stubs below them. You should see where the wires attach on your car. Another is a detail of the wire stub attachment. Finally I have one of the three full wire bows at the back plus the stubs that end at the rear window. That makes a total of 8 bows, counting the stubs at the back window. Below those last stubs is a nailing strip where the headliner finishes. There is a nailing strip above the doors and the front has a hard panel that covers the attachment, also headliner material.
BackBows_sm.jpg
BowDetail_sm.jpg
WoodBows_sm.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Near as I can tell Froody is a compliment, it is the first time I have heard this word and had to check the word bible.
Raining here to day temp is 63F
It is a compliment indeed. Hitchhikers guide is a bonkers trilogy (with 6 books) that was a radio program in the UK. It is mostly listening humour (radio) and takes things to their logical absurd extreme. a movie was made which is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in part because it relies on sight gags. Douglas Adamas the author sadly died at 49 years of age of an undiagnosed heart condition.

At any rate back to real Prefects.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
I wonder why they did not run the bows full length at the hole or whatever you call it in fact I do not understand why they made the soft top. I thank you as it really helps thank you
JimG

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Remember, your car is just a facelift version of my '48 which was actually introduced in '39. That's how a lot of cars were made in the '30s. It was probably more difficult and expensive to form a fully steel top. Our shop is just about finished restoring a Model A and its top is quite similar although longer so there are no wire bows. Also, they omitted the short wires along the sides and just dropped straight from the wood top bow to the side. I understand the Australian version, which was introduced later, has a full steel top. Don't know if it is one piece though.