• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

18 y/o Pontiac rejuvination

A

aerog

At risk of making this a detailing forum I thought I'd share my latest little project - these are pictures of our 1987 Pontiac Bonneville LE. Bought new, in '87, driven a very few miles to work on occasion and then the occasional out of town trip then essentially parked in the airplane hangar 4-5 years ago with 20000 miles on it. Except for the occasional start-up and drive around the airport, it hasn't moved (yeah yeah, no lectures please).

So here's the first step of my cosmetic rejuvination of the Bonneville (if we keep it I'll probably replace all the fluids, etc - the stuff that should have been done 10-15 years ago).

Here's how it looked when I started. The pictures make it look a ton better than it really was. The car was covered most of the time, but some paint overspray floated onto it from somewhere - along with a ton of dirt, bugs, spider webs, and...you name it - all over:

601347703_bEyD6-M.jpg

601347645_SBBA3-M.jpg

601347597_QqwGx-M.jpg

I gave the car a wash, cleaned the engine and engine compartment, then started on the paint. Washing revealed the white overspray all over the front of the car and otherwise nasty, rough paint so I spent about 30 minutes with a clay-bar on the hood and front fenders. I followed the clay with a scrubbing with Meguiar's Paint Cleaner. Then, finally, a coat of Meguiar's NXT Paste removed with a microfiber cloth about 30 minutes later.

601347683_5Jg9Y-M.jpg

601347381_qxnhx-M.jpg

601347617_Q2Z8a-M.jpg

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Scott,
I'm bringing my car to you for a magic makeover. Just as soon as I can get it to run right and stop leaking oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
Scott,
I'm bringing my car to you for a magic makeover. Just as soon as I can get it to run right and stop leaking oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No no - not yet! I haven't tried starting this car yet, it's more than likely dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've only got done what you see there and I'm tired. I guess that's why people buy buffers!

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Don't worry Scott it will be a while before you see my car. When have you ever seen a spitfire that runs and doesn't leak oil at the same time. Never? That's what I thought. You do some very nice work. I can only hope that someday the spit will look that nice.